Any tips to start losing weight?

Options
Hello everyone!
It is my day 17 here and most of the days I am under my calorie goal (1200 calories per day). Last 7 days I don't eat back my exercise calories, I eat back some of them. I walk every day 20 mins brisk pace and I go for tennis 3 hours/week. I sweat a lot while doing these activities. But I haven't seen any result yet. Most of you tell me to stick with my plan and wait. But I don't want to lose my motivation once again. Do you have any tips how to start losing weight? I am on medication for some health issues I have but the mecidines don't mention any weight loss or gain. What should I do? Should I exercise more? Eat even less? Eat different hours? I take my lunch at 2pm (about 600 calories) and my dinner at about 7-8pb (rest of 600 calories or some more if I exercise that day). Please tell me your ideas :neutral_face:

Replies

• barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything accurately? You should be seeing some loss if you are keeping under your goal and logging everything in. I find the only time I don't see change is when I guess amounts instead of weighting them and don't log everything in accurately...just a thought :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you just need to eat at a calorie deficit.

Personally I'd say that at eating 1200 calories a day you will soon lose your motivation because you will just end up tired and hungry.

Sensible and successful weight loss is generally a SLOW process. There is no quick fix - why do you think all these fad diets don't stick around (atkins, south beach, dukan etc).

My advice would be to be patient. To try and enjoy the experience (seriously), find new exercises you like - try everything! Pay attention to labels on food packaging, research information on the internet, make friends with people on MFP. To sustain any weight loss you are going to have to consider this as a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet' that once you hit your goal weight will go back to old habits.

And really eat your exercise calories back!!!!!!!!!!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dont eat so much.....
  • GogoDri
    GogoDri Posts: 32
    Options
    To lose weight you just need to eat at a calorie deficit.

Personally I'd say that at eating 1200 calories a day you will soon lose your motivation because you will just end up tired and hungry.

Sensible and successful weight loss is generally a SLOW process. There is no quick fix - why do you think all these fad diets don't stick around (atkins, south beach, dukan etc).

My advice would be to be patient. To try and enjoy the experience (seriously), find new exercises you like - try everything! Pay attention to labels on food packaging, research information on the internet, make friends with people on MFP. To sustain any weight loss you are going to have to consider this as a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet' that once you hit your goal weight will go back to old habits.

And really eat your exercise calories back!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoy exercising and be carefull with what I eat. First of all even I haven't lost any weight I feel 'lighter', I jump on stairs and walk vividly and not like I am bored and tired.
    I enojy playing tennis and sweating like hell. I just wonder why I haven't lost any weight yet. I will keep going for sure. Thank you for your tips!
  • GogoDri
    Options
    barbz2119 wrote: »
    Are you measuring everything accurately? You should be seeing some loss if you are keeping under your goal and logging everything in. I find the only time I don't see change is when I guess amounts instead of weighting them and don't log everything in accurately...just a thought :)

I will probably have to buy food scales. I just find it hysteric to weight everything I eat, but I guess I will have to do it.

• stuffinmuffin
    Options
    DEFINITELY buy food scales. It's a must have to be successful.
  • GogoDri
    Options
    Already ordered :smiley:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Agree with the food scales, also make sure your logging is as accurate as possible. When entering food don't pick generic or homemade entries. Verify the nutritional information if you can and make sure it's accurate. Your diary isn't open so can't give specifics.

Also have patience.
  • GogoDri
    Options
    jwhited71 wrote: »
    Agree with the food scales, also make sure your logging is as accurate as possible. When entering food don't pick generic or homemade entries. Verify the nutritional information if you can and make sure it's accurate. Your diary isn't open so can't give specifics.

Also have patience.

How do I open my diary? Plus all the food I eat is homemade, I guess scales will help me to find calories for homemade food.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    GogoDri wrote: »
    jwhited71 wrote: »

Also have patience.

How do I open my diary? Plus all the food I eat is homemade, I guess scales will help me to find calories for homemade food.

Click on the settings tab and near the bottom there is an option to make your diary public.

Eating homemade is great, I love to cook and make homemade things all the time, but when picking the options in the database you want to use your recipes or put the individual ingredients not something marked homemade. When you choose those you are taking someone else's recipe and you have no idea what they put in their recipe and if they were accurate.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

A myth. I lost 2.5 stone in 4 months without them. It's just called being sensible. A few extra grams here and there is not going to have any drastic affect.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

A myth. I lost 2.5 stone in 4 months without them. It's just called being sensible. A few extra grams here and there is not going to have any drastic affect.

Not a myth, is it a must have no, but is it a very useful tool yes it is, especially if you are struggling. It helps with accuracy and seeing what a true portion size is.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Not a myth, it is imperative for some that are struggling.
    OP I can not stress enough how much difference the scale will make to you, great job ordering one. Timing on eating does not matter for weight loss.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A good tip is think long-term!
    Too many fail crash dieting or working to reduce for a wedding or high school reunion. Those who achieve their fitness goals long-term see health and wellness as a lifestyle - not a diet or exercise routine.
    As for your current situation, I feel you! I had to tweak my calorie intake and exercise burn rates. I found my zone through trial and error using the data base as a guide. Just learn and follow the MFP suggestions for steady and lasting results.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • stuffinmuffin
    Options

How do you learn about food portions without using a food scale? Yeah 4 years on I don't use one all the time because I know what a portion of pasta or oats looks like, but without every trying the scales I would never have known.

• covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with the scale. I use it all the time now even though I pretty much can ball park portions.

The other thing is that you should take pictures and measurements. The scale can be misleading. It is not always an accurate measurement of progress. If you feel "lighter" then you are obviously making strides towards your new lifestyle! The other thing is 1200 cals may not be enough. I really don't recommend anyone going under 1400 calories because you won't have enough energy to really strive in your workouts. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you are looking for an accountability partner!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    1400 calories a day and try to walk 30 minutes every day

29509743.png