Is re-heated pasta less fattening?

Options
Article from the BBC this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29629761

Discuss.

Replies

• TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It would certainly seem so. More resistant starch = less calories (hard to say how much though). More relevant IMO is the significantly reduced impact on blood glucose (and therefore insulin)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I think the important thing is the effect on insulin, and if it helps weightloss then that's a bonus.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    That's quite interesting, I'll often take pasta cooked the night before into the office to eat.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Fizz500d
    Fizz500d Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I saw that on TV last night and thought it was interesting. I do make a lot of pasta in advance for office lunches both salad and reheated. If not eating fresh cooked pasta is better for blood glucose levels that's good news.
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Really interesting.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for the info OP.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    I looked at this thread title and thought "OH noooooooooo".

but I have now read, it is interesting, but It is probally so MINIMAL that is not worth the time finding it out...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    50% decrease in glucose spike for re-heated pasta sounds good. I don't know where that would place it on the glycemic index.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options

but I have now read, it is interesting, but It is probally so MINIMAL that is not worth the time finding it out...

Ha, I couldn't resist the clickbait title :wink:
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I thought the same.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options

A 50% reduction in bllod glucose is hardly minimal, especially for those with poor insulin sensitivity

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I was like the others, I saw this on the news this morning and rolled my eyes, but I would be interested to know the figures. Seems promising and we all love to meal prep, so we've probably been doing it for a while now!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm sure it's not much and not worth calculating. I actually prefer pasta the next day.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ah how cool, that's really interesting, seeing as I'm sat here eating rehated pasta and all. ;)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    And the same for other starchy foods? Like potatoes? Interesting.
  • tessaleonie
    tessaleonie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just boiled some spaghetti for tonight as a taste test. If the reheating doesn't make the texture much worse I'll be doing it again. Not just for the whole glucose thing, but more colon friendly fiber would be awesome.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Nifty!
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    But how to log it?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Less fattening...no. Less likely to spike blood sugar and make us more hungry later...evidently yes.

There are still the same number of calories in the cold pasta vs. freshly cooked pasta. If there is a loss of carbs by reheating it, then less calories in the reheated version. Calories are calculated by burning the food and seeing how much energy was released. But I would think there are almost as many calories even in the reheated food unless you plan on burning the pasta (then the energy has already been released prior to going into your body).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You know, crap like this drives me up a wall. It's just a hand-wave to try to get people to microtweak things so they'll keep buying products. Unless you're cutting for a bodybuilding competition or are a professional actor, solving the macro problem of appropriate portions is plenty good enough.