Need New CARDIO

Options
Hello MFP Peeps,

I am looking to revamp my workouts and I am thinking about everything that I am doing. I am starting to belive that part of my problem is simply that I am bored with my workouts. I need new cardio or weights... SO I was just wondering what you all do...

Currently I am running ( ALOT) - between 30 and 40 min. with diffrent intrevental trainning. HIT Sometimes I add 20 or so min of ellptical for added "burn" - Honestly I use to lift free weights a lot, I have let that go to the weight side because I ride saddle seat ( horse back riding ) and I have been spending about an hour at the barn 30 min riding - 30 min doing other things, ( cleaning stalls ect. ) so IDK - anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jumprope!

It's excellent cardio, it's fun, you can do it anywhere, and it requires minimal investment ($10 for a quality rope).

Rock Climbing!

More of an investment (in terms of time, energy, and thought, if not also money), but infinitely more fun and rewarding than ANYthing else. Give it a shot!

Let me know if you have questions about either, and I'll be glad to try to help.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I love burpees. They are my favorite exercise, and push your entire body as a unit. Although, you will tire out pretty quickly doing them. If you don't know how to do them, try googling it and you should be able to find some pictures.
  • adamschutz
    adamschutz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Jumping Rope. I used to have a blast with it in high school doing it with my team as part of our speed training. Have you tried Spin classes or rowing? I like to get in the gym after a run and row a little bit on the machines to get a little added time with my increased heart rate.(Been meaning to get out and do some real rowing)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My favorite cardio is kickboxing! I prefer to do it in a class setting with an instructor pushing me but when I can't make it to class then Turbo Fire is my go to which is fun and VERY challenging! I know you said you run, so do I but I get bored with just running so I alterernate it with the kickboxing plus I lift heavy 3 x's a week, it all keeps things interesting not to mention the cross training helps alot with keeping my body guessing!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Jumprope!

It's excellent cardio, it's fun, you can do it anywhere, and it requires minimal investment ($10 for a quality rope).

Rock Climbing!

More of an investment (in terms of time, energy, and thought, if not also money), but infinitely more fun and rewarding than ANYthing else. Give it a shot!

Let me know if you have questions about either, and I'll be glad to try to help.

I am definitally going to get a jump rope - either tonight or this weekend... I had not even thought about that :-)
    I use to rock climb in college, but I don't think that we have anyplace ( indoors with bela certified ) that would be safe. Granted I live in WV and we have TONS of moutians, but idk how safe that I would feel doing this on my own without equipment.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions. Definitely get a jump rope, that will get your heart rate up. I noticed more definition in my legs (and arms for that matter) after I started jump roping. Also burpees are great because you don't need a lot of space to do them in. Check out some taebo videos online, or exercise.tv, and bodyrock.tv, Love those sites.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I were you I would cut back on your cardio and add back in weights. If you have an hour I'd do a 10 min warm up, 20 minutes of weights, and then end your session with 30 min of some type of cardio.
  • aehartley
    Options
    I agree with the Jumping Rope. I used to have a blast with it in high school doing it with my team as part of our speed training. Have you tried Spin classes or rowing? I like to get in the gym after a run and row a little bit on the machines to get a little added time with my increased heart rate.(Been meaning to get out and do some real rowing)

I definitally am going to have to try and add the rowing. We have an indoor triatholon and I did the rowing machine for that so I think I can manage adding it it back in... what about time ?
  • aehartley
    Options
  • adamschutz
    adamschutz Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I definitally am going to have to try and add the rowing. We have an indoor triatholon and I did the rowing machine for that so I think I can manage adding it it back in... what about time ?

I just meant have a little more cardio time by rowing after my run.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Only cardio: Jump Rope Routine
    4 rounds
    4 mins - jump 30 x's and mark on paper
    1 min - Leg up/downs (one ab exercise)

Then repeat 4 times and there is 20 mins.

At the end of your work out you tally up the amount of jumps/skips for each round. Its fun bc the next week you try to beat it. So you are competing with your self!

Interval timers work the best for this so you dont have to keep stopping to look at a stop watch.

These other workouts include cardio too bc they are circuits and done fast. PS the numbers are my records; I copied and pasted them from my forums.
    Workout 1
    Circuit 30 seconds (exercise) 10 second rest
    1. Squat pick up 10 lb weight and squat back down to put it back (that is 1 rep) - 9, 6, 6
    2. Jump Rope - 76, 60, 60
    3. Dynamic Push ups - 10, 8, 8
    4. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 50
    5. Walking Lunges; 007 twists - 9, 7, 8
    6. Jump Rope - 71, 60, 57
    7. Tricep Dips - 15, 15, 15
    8. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 50
    9. One legged dead lift - 13, 12, 12
    10. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 80

Workout 2
    Circuit
    40 Rounds, 15 seconds exercise, 15 seconds rest

1. Skater Lunge Jumps - 10, 10, 9, 10
    2. Reptile Push ups - 5 1/2, 5, 3, 2
    3. Jump Squats - 12, 9, 9, 10
    4. Pulls ups (lying down on floor under poll so rev push up I guess) - 7, 6, 6, 7
    5. Jumping Jacks - 14, 16, 16, 12
    6. Dancing Crab - 13, 11, 8, 11
    7. Handing lrg raise (from pull up bar) - 7, 5, 5, 7
    8. Dive Bombers - 4, 5, 3, 4
    9. Plank knee tucks - 15, 15, 15, 18
    10. Gets ups - 5, Stopped b/c I didnt like the way my knees felt the second time around so I jogged in place

Workout 3
    Circuit: No timing
    1. one legged dead lift; jump (right and left leg) - 10 x 3
    2. Plank alternating sholder touch - 20 x 3
    3. Jump Rope - 60 skips
    4. Pick up ball/weight squat; lateral raise squat put ball back on floor (thats 1) - 12 x 3
    5. Side kick hold (not kicking just holding the leg to the side in a kick form for easie kick boxing) - 8 seconds, 10 x 2
    6. Assisted hand stand (walk your self up a wall and hold) 10 seconds x 3
    7. Jump rope - 60 Skips
    8. Dancer pose bicep curls - 12 x 3
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I were you I would cut back on your cardio and add back in weights. If you have an hour I'd do a 10 min warm up, 20 minutes of weights, and then end your session with 30 min of some type of cardio.

I agree... I would increase the amount of body conditioning exercise you do.
  • aehartley
    Options
    4 rounds

At the end of your work out you tally up the amount of jumps/skips for each round. Its fun bc the next week you try to beat it. So you are competing with your self!

Interval timers work the best for this so you dont have to keep stopping to look at a stop watch.

These other workouts include cardio too bc they are circuits and done fast. PS the numbers are my records; I copied and pasted them from my forums.
    Workout 1
    1. Squat pick up 10 lb weight and squat back down to put it back (that is 1 rep) - 9, 6, 6

Workout 2
    Circuit

4. Pulls ups (lying down on floor under poll so rev push up I guess) - 7, 6, 6, 7
    10. Gets ups - 5, Stopped b/c I didnt like the way my knees felt the second time around so I jogged in place

Workout 3
    3. Jump Rope - 60 skips
    4. Pick up ball/weight squat; lateral raise squat put ball back on floor (thats 1) - 12 x 3
    5. Side kick hold (not kicking just holding the leg to the side in a kick form for easie kick boxing) - 8 seconds, 10 x 2
    7. Jump rope - 60 Skips

THIS IS AWSOME... THANKS :-)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    4 rounds

Workout 1

Workout 2
    Circuit

Workout 3
    3. Jump Rope - 60 skips
    7. Jump rope - 60 Skips

THIS IS AWSOME... THANKS :-)

You welcome :blushing:
    Do you have an interval timer?
  • aehartley
    Options
    No but I have a function on my watch that I can do it with... I do it for other stuff at the gym that way,

I really want to get a HRM but don't know what kind ( besides one with a chest strap) to get
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    No but I have a function on my watch that I can do it with... I do it for other stuff at the gym that way,

I really want to get a HRM but don't know what kind ( besides one with a chest strap) to get

Polar watches are the best HRM
    ft40_white_front_500x500_11.jpg

This is the interval timer I use and its cheap. I swear by it!!!
    41ItKXJuA2L__SL500_AA300_.jpg