Stop eating and stay in bed?

Options
Basically while I am busting myself in the gym, eating fruit and veggies, counting my cals and losing 1lb a week, one of my friends has told me her secret diet.

she is a teacher so she gets loads of time off. whenever she needs to lose like 10lb - 15lb fast for hols, she says she just drinks water or herbal tea, takes a multivitamin and lounge about in bed for a week to 10 days. loses 1lb a day or more, and can easily drop a stone in a week or so.

she calls it 'detox' or 'fasting' or 'cleansing' . she is not anorexic and only does it for holiday season or parties.

is there any danger to doing this? what if we do it just at the weekend? there are many weird diets like the one where you eat on alternate days.

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    do not do this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    and thats whats teaching kids today... :worried:

so you'd rather lose 10lb in a week and then put it back on than lose 10lb in 10 weeks and keep it off?!
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After fasting you will just put all the weight back on afterwards (and maybe more). At least with your way there is a greater chance you will keep the weight off as long as you don't slide back to old habits.

I HIGHLY doubt your friend doesn't eat for 10 days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering your friend has to keep doing it, it's a complete fail!!! Stick with the plan you have that will get your real long term results.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    She may be losing fat but she is definitely losing muscle. Skinny fat.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why not just lose weight until you get to your goal and then maintain it? Why be heavier than you want and then have to lose 10lbs every so often so you can look how you want at a party or on vacay?

As an aside....I should have stayed a teacher so I had 7-10 days to lounge around in bed drinking tea.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Your friend is an idiot
    BINGO!
    :p
    If mere weight loss is your goal, sure, just sleep off the muscle. For optimal health and fitness, you must work. Sorry...
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    and thats whats teaching kids today... :worried:

yeah this.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »
    After fasting you will just put all the weight back on afterwards (and maybe more). At least with your way there is a greater chance you will keep the weight off as long as you don't slide back to old habits.

I HIGHLY doubt your friend doesn't eat for 10 days.

I think she just wants to look good for partes and holidays the rest of the time baggy sweats etc. and 10lb isn't a lot but choosing between 2 months and 1 week of losing ...
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    what if someone wanted fast results then resolved to eat properly and healthiliy once they were slim?
  • lisajohnsonrobinson
    Options
    Yikes, the lounging around in bed for 10 days sounds like worse torture than going to the gym! :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot

You're a kind person. I was thinking of much worse things to call the friend.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot

This.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You should lose your weight the sane way and show her how it's done ;) yours is much more likely to stay off, while her's comes back over and over.
  • glevinso
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Your friend is an idiot

You're a kind person. I was thinking of much worse things to call the friend.

I do try to be a nice person in general. That was the nicest thing I could think of to say :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    oremus1 wrote: »
    what if someone wanted fast results then resolved to eat properly and healthiliy once they were slim?

We all want fast results. It doesn't work that way. Sorry.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Remind me to homeschool any children I may have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oremus1 wrote: »

i dont really see how 10lb of mainly water weight can actually make that much difference?!