Anyone here a Diabetic?

Options
Last week, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 (it's still capitalized in my brain). I shouldn't have been shocked after years of not taking care of myself, even with the number of deaths from this disease in my family. I should have cared, done something about it, been more careful. But, I wasn't, and here's where I am. I wondered if there were anyone else out there trying to lose weight with this disease.

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Last week, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 (it's still capitalized in my brain). I shouldn't have been shocked after years of not taking care of myself, even with the number of deaths from this disease in my family. I should have cared, done something about it, been more careful. But, I wasn't, and here's where I am. I wondered if there were anyone else out there trying to lose weight with this disease.

Yup.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tons of us are type 2. The first few months are crazy, you don't know what to eat, how to cook, how to shop. It gets better. I'm at almost my one year anniverary from diagnosis and it's pretty normal for me now. The key is to take your blood glucose readings frequently (at least twice a day) for the first six months to see what seems to work for you. I have slacked off since then now that my BG is really stable, I still pretty much test once a day but I change up the times.

Good luck, read a lot. Lots of websites with recipes for diabetics, or just for low carb foods. One of my favorites is the low carb section of SkinnyTaste.com.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in January, 2012.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May of 2011. At first I was very dlligent with my sugar, but I felt good so I slacked off. A year and 20 pounds heavier THIS May, I finally got serious. I saw the doctor today and he took me off the insulin pills! Its takes determination but when it comes to your health....your life, actually,...you just have to do it.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's good to know I'm not alone! It's true, I barely know what to eat, now. Everything has changed. Are any of you on a low carb diet? Or do you keep your carbs down to a certain number of grams. My doctors tell me to keep my carbs down to 165 to 175 per day, but I'm reading conflicting reports. Some sites say to keep my carbs down to 30 mg a day. How do you guys do it?
  • babyboysmama26
    Options
    Hi I am I've had diabetes since I was 13 and I'm on insulin so its hard to lose weight when u take insulin but I've tired alot of diet plans and I'd lose the weight and gain it back so now I know its time to change the way I eat and workout more I know I didn't put the weight on over night so its gonna take awhile to get it off but making the first step is the big step. Good luck on ur journey, if you'd like add me
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set to 105mg a day. Sometimes I am under....sometimes a little over. Its not always easy but I manage. Trying to keep carbs SUPER low is just not practical, IMO. I have to be able to get SOME enjoyment from food or I would get discouraged and just give up.

My diary is public...feel free to check it out. :)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's good to know I'm not alone! It's true, I barely know what to eat, now. Everything has changed. Are any of you on a low carb diet? Or do you keep your carbs down to a certain number of grams. My doctors tell me to keep my carbs down to 165 to 175 per day, but I'm reading conflicting reports. Some sites say to keep my carbs down to 30 mg a day. How do you guys do it?

I've played around with various levels. 20-30 was definitely too low for me...I found myself avoiding vegetables and that's just ridiculous. I went up to 100 but had trouble keeping my morning numbers below 100 consistently. Now I try to stay below 70 (almost always do) and keep them spread out over the course of the day. My numbers are finally where I want them, so it's working for me.

My dairy is open, if you want to take a look
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set to 105mg a day. Sometimes I am under....sometimes a little over. Its not always easy but I manage. Trying to keep carbs SUPER low is just not practical, IMO. I have to be able to get SOME enjoyment from food or I would get discouraged and just give up.

My diary is public...feel free to check it out. :)

What makes you think you wouldn't get enjoyment out of food? It's just made differently on a very low carbohydrate lifestyle. For instance, for a quick breakfast this morning I had some cereal that I made myself with unsweetened original almond milk and a coffeecake I made myself with some steaming hot coffee with heavy whipping cream sweetened with liquid pure steviaclear. It was quick and amazing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have lots of diabetics among my friends and family. This is the plan in general terms depending on the doctor and dietitian:

Limit this: bread, pasta, pizza, rice, corn, potatoes.
    Limit this: fruit

Eat this: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, beans,

Eat lots of this: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts,

====
    If you like to bake, you can adjust to working with coconut flour and almond flour because they have relatively few carbs and more protein than wheat flours.

http://ggiswheatfree.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/so-many-flours-so-little-cupboard-space-how-gluten-free-flours-compare-for-carbs-and-protein-content/
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I USED TO BE TYPE 2 DIABETIC... Diagnosed in Jan of 2005... I was taking 49 units of insulin a night....UNTIL...June 2nd of this year...I went on the PALEO diet ...i have lost 80 pounds and my doctor says I am NO LONGER DIABETIC...I am so happy...i take no insulin...Im not a diabetic any more .... i also stopped blood pressure meds.... Please GOOGLE this PALEO or PRIMAL diet...I eat an average of 15 to 20 grams of carbs a day....carbs are so bad for me.... we are all different....this might be good for you..... please read about it.....good luck.....hard work!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in November 2012 with an HBA1C of 10+, but managed to reverse it within a year in the sense of the Newcastle University study below.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

After losing 10% of body weight, my GP gave me licence to experiment with reducing medication due to improved HBA1C. By the time I had lost 20% of body weight, my HBA1C was a steady 4.9 and I was taking so little medication I was told to stop altogether. I've since had two HBA1C's since stopping medication and they have both been 5.0, so perfectly normal.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Pre diabetic, my doc is just following me for now. Have blood test tomorrow. It runs in my family. I am hoping I can control it with lifestyle changes.
  • terri1020
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Type 2. I saw my terrific nutritionist yesterday. She helped me understand the need for balance in my diet. For every carb, I should eat a protein. She would like me to stay between 125-135 carbs a day, evenly spread out throughout the day. Please friend me and we can motivate each other.
  • lynnanntodd
    lynnanntodd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic with Type 2 for the last 5 years. I am on insulin and carb count all my meals but I am here to help get me motivated to loose some weight.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Definitely do your research. I'm a pre-diabetic trying to avoid Type 2 (totally runs in the family) diabetes. Firstly, there is no such thing as a diabetic that is "cured". This does not mean that the blood sugars and insulin levels cannot be controlled, but there is a big difference. If a person gets off all of their meds, but returns to their weight a year later, you would see the diabetes (or other medical condition without a cure such as high blood pressure) return soon thereafter.

Getting your blood sugar in control is the most important thing. This can be done by eating the correct foods and losing some of the excess weight. Do some research into Glycemic index (GI) and Glycemic load (GL). As a diabetic, this will help lots to determine some things you should avoid and some carbs that are less detrimental if you have some. Terri1020 was right in saying the balance of protein and carb is very important because it will help to decrease your sugar spikes and drastic dips.

Weight training is the other part of the puzzle (besides just losing the excess weight). Lean muscle mass will use more energy even at rest, so once you've started getting fitter, you should start to incorporate some strength training to help control some of that blood sugar as well. Good luck in your search for a healthier lifestyle! :D
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in April of this year. Make sure you test your blood sugar numerous times a day and lots of exercise. Exercise is just as important as the food that you eat! You can friend me! There is also a type 2 diabetic group on MFP.