Recommendations please?

Options
So I tried a soy protein powder and I didn't really like it... I'm kinda looking for good tasting protein powders that aren't too heavy (i.e carbs, calories, sugars,) So what are your suggestions? :smile: :smiley:

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly go to a health food store and check out their bulk food bins - often a lot of interesting protein powders there that you can use and mix up to make something that has a flavor you like.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd go for whey unless you have a reason not to. Hundreds of options out there for products with little to no carbs/sugar
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Chocolate Whey Protein. I feel like it's really good. Has about 30 g Prot, few carbs, and 1 g fat. Only 130 cals per 1 scoop with 30 scoops per container. You can find it at Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens for about 16-18 bucks. I mix it with my daily Shakeology for my morning meal, but I also use it with Almond Milk, some ice, and blended. You can also find PB2 at Walmart (if you aren't already familiar with it), that can add a good peanut butter taste (at only 45 cals). Hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you need more ideas!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a vegetarian, then the most bang for your buck will be whey protein. Everything else pales in comparison. Whey is sold as concentrate and isolate. Concentrate has more milk sugar and fat, so will be a little more calories per serving; however, some people do better digestively with isolate due to the reduction of aforementioned sugar and fat (thus less calories also, but a little more cost). Whey per gram has more protein compared to vegetarian sources, so when you look at the cost per gram of protein...whey is usually half if not a third of the cost of vegan sources like soy, pea, rice, etc...
    There are a lot of good brands like MusclePharm, Optimum Nutrition, Body Nutrition, etc...but everyone's taste is different. I like vanilla, but some companies' vanilla I like, some I don't.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Isopure Protein Isolate. They have a fat free and a carb free. Lots of flavor choices. The unflavored is pure protein. 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 carbs. Flavor, not the best, but if you mix it with something, best there is. IMO