Barracks

adamschutz
adamschutz Posts: 9 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what to eat as a quick meal here and there when I have no access to an oven. I live on a Naval base in Charleston, SC and In my barracks I have a mini fridge and a microwave. Any suggestions on healthy low calorie meal choices? I eat frozen entrees here and there but I tend to grow tired of those.

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Hungrygirl.com (I know you're a dude, bear with me). There are recipies for "egg mugs" where you can make all kinds of egg scrambles in the microwave. You would probably need to make 2, or use a really big mug!
  • adamschutz
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    In the barracks in Pearl Harbor, I used to bake fish in the microwave. If I were in now, and my barracks allowed toasters (some do, some don't)... I'd get a George Foreman grill. The amount of cooking you can do on one is phenomenal.
  • adamschutz
    Yeah we aren't allowed to have any sort of toaster :/ but the thought of keeping it locked up in my closet is tempting..
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Yeah we aren't allowed to have any sort of toaster :/ but the thought of keeping it locked up in my closet is tempting..

That comes down to how often do you get surprise inspections... and are they still allowed to open your lockers or not?
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289

But everyone will know you have one once a nice piece of meat hits the grill, darn it.
  • adamschutz
    They can't open our closets unless they have some sort of suspicion that we have something illegal in there.. And we cant store lighter fluid or coals in our rooms either. so its a bit of a pain to grill anything in the pits on base
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Can you have an elecetric kettle? That is a tea pot that plugs in, not a hot plate. We used to make soup in them all of the time in the dorms. Rice cookers are also great for steam cooking foods. If you can't have anything that plugs in, there are frozen pre-cooked chicken breasts you could nuke, or a rotisserie chicken from the deli would give you a couple of meals.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    What about the Galley? I don't know about the one in Charleston but I know the one here they follow a pretty good nutritional guide when cooking their food.

On another note, I'm from Charleston :) We'll actually be home all summer visiting family.
  • adamschutz
    Well they told us coffee pots aren't allowed when we got here, so I'm thinking the electric kettle is right along those lines. And the galley is alright i guess. Its just the entrees are the same every week and mostly fried or covered in grease, so i end up having a spinach leaf salad, some veggies, and a Peanut butter and honey sandwich at almost every meal I go to. I mean it comes out of my pay for my meal pass anyways so I try to stop in as much as I can to grab some fruit or a little tub of the Special K. But ones again, it does get awfully repetitive.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Well they told us coffee pots aren't allowed when we got here, so I'm thinking the electric kettle is right along those lines. And the galley is alright i guess. Its just the entrees are the same every week and mostly fried or covered in grease, so i end up having a spinach leaf salad, some veggies, and a Peanut butter and honey sandwich at almost every meal I go to. I mean it comes out of my pay for my meal pass anyways so I try to stop in as much as I can to grab some fruit or a little tub of the Special K. But ones again, it does get awfully repetitive.

Well that does suck. Honestly the only thing I can think of is you can pick up some pretty healthy and filling soups, like Chunky or Campbelle's select. Then you have your frozen dinners, sandwich stuff, and salad kits or walk down to Subway lol. It sucks, but you own't be in the barracks forever. Or you can do what the guys in the barracks do here and make friends with people in housing and magically happen to stop by as they're having dinner lol ;)
  • adamschutz
    Yeahh most of my married friends are more than happy to have me over for dinner as they are newlyweds and need guinea pigs to test out all these recipes they are trying for the first time. I do like the soup idea I should head to the commissary and pick some up when I get the chance.
This discussion has been closed.