Mexican Restaurant Menu Help, Please!

Options
Last month, I went to Mom's Night Out at a local Mexican restaurant and ate nothing, because I hadn't planned for it in advance. I promised myself that this month, I would plan for it, eat accordingly, and treat myself.

I found the website that has their menu (http://mexicanfiesta.net/), and I'm at a total loss. Last month, everyone shared botanas or a quesadilla, and I know I don't want those. I guess I could get a taco salad without the shell, or veggie fajitas.

I gained this past week because I've been making poor choices, and I'm determined to do better now. But I have not a clue as to what my best choice is.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Mexican food does not fit on very many diets. Either enjoy it and make up for it later, or choose a different restaurant.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    without looking at the menu----just tell the server you want grilled chicken and steamed veggies!!! don't make yourself go crazy looking at the menu--the server will be able to give you what you want. trust me.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajita's w/o the sides (rice, beans, cheese, guac, sour cream, tortilla's)
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to our local Mexican Restaurant I get Fajita Nachos with no cheese and no sour cream. When it comes to the table I add a little salsa. So it has chips, grilled chicken,onions, peppers, and salsa. I don't know how healthy it is but it's the best I could come up with and it tastes delicious enough that I feel like I am treating myself
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You are pretty much relegated to the fajitas sans the sides (but you can eat the onions and peppers). Or, see if they have some kind of steak, just make sure there is no sauce on it. They may have a taco salad that you could sub fajita meat on and skip the bowl.
  • luvmy2babies
    luvmy2babies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I love Mexican Fiesta. I normally get the taco salad. I know its not the best for you, but I haven't gained anything by eating it once in awhile.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican dishes on a weekly basis and I have been losing weight and inches consistently. I omit the rice, flour tortilla, sour cream, guac, and most of the time cheese (depending on how much I exercised that day). I basically eat a salad without the shell or tortilla chips. If you flavor your meal with great tasting fresh salsa's, and other fresh ingredients like cilantro and onions, peppers, etc. You food tastes so yummy and you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. I get a child's or lunch size portion and usually ask for extra black or pinto beans which helps me to feel fuller. It's a great way to eat the food I love and still lose weight. I don't believe in not eating what you love because then you'll go overboard at some point. Enjoy what you love but in moderation :-) Enjoy your Mexican dinner night!
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We go to Mexican food once a week. I've eaten several things on the menu but in moderation. I never have the chips. I always get pinto beans instead of refried and skip the rice. Skiip the sour cream and guacamole. I'll have the chicken fajitas, machaca, chicken mole(scrap of most of the sause). I don't eat the tortillas. I'll eat 1/2 of the meal at the restraunt and bring 1/2 home. I think it is manageable if you eat in moderation. Enjoy!
  • iuali81
    iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would order chicken fajitas. Ask for corn tortillas instead of flour and limit yourself to 2 tortillas. Ask for no sour cream, guac, rice or beans. All you'll be eating is chicken, veggies, salsa, and the 2 tortillas. It probably won't be the healthiest thing ever, but it wouldn't be that bad either. Watch your portions. No chips.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I should not have visited here. Now I have to go for Mexican at lunch. (Using this as a "bump" so I can check back later for more ideas!)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said Fajitas are usually a safe bet. I just eat the meat and veggie with salsa on them. If I'm really wanting "real" mexican food I order a la carte items... like one enchilada, or one taco with a side of black beans! I definitely go crazy with the salsa on anything I do eat!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I looked at the menu and, unfortunately, it is not an authentic Mexican restaurant. If it were there would be more healthier options. Probably the worst food-marriage in the world is the American-Mexican one - it has the worst of both diets. In any case, I think your only healthy option is the Fiesta Bowl Salad. Get the dressing on the side (not Ranch, though), and use it sparingly. Dressings are calorie killers.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 10 chips w/ salsa, a la cart (like 2 tacos, or 1 depending on my mood). I order water for my drink. I'll also go the fajita route. LOVE mexican food.
  • megansmom311
    Options
    We eat ALOT of Mexican food when we go out, and I agree, it's hard to find healthy choices on restaurant menus. I usually order a taco salad, sub chicken fajita meat, nix the beans/cheese/sour cream/guacamole. And I don't EVER use their dressing...I always top it off with salsa. And I don't eat the bowl, either. But it's still YUM. I'm sure this restaurant can cater to your order if you just ask them to.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I may not be the best example. Mexican food has been my favorite food since childhood. I exercise 4-5 days a week now, sometimes multiple times a day (walks uin the morning, hard cardio or strength in the evening) and am consistently well below my MFP calorie goal (anywhere from 500-1500 calories below, the bigger you are the more you burn and I burn a lot...). I've been doing good at home and don't cheat much at all. I'm trying to learn to enjoy healthier foods and to work on portion sizes.

This is a true lifestyle change for me, but at the same time if I don't feel like I can eat a favorite meal once in a blue moon without ruining all the work I've done, then why do the work at all? I take the Body for Life approach, once a week eat what you want, damn the consequences. I don't even do it once a week, but knowing I can if I really want to takes some of the "forbiden fruit" alure of the stuff away. Also, when I do cheat, my body often feels gross for about a day. It is a negative reenforcemnt that I don't eat this way anymore, that it's not a typical meal and this gross feeling gets me motivated to eat better the next day. Keep in mind I'm not saying I "treat" myself for eating and exercising well for "X" number of days by eating bad on this day. I'm just saying that I have made an overarching lifestyle change and that as part of that I can afford some calories on my favorite food in the whole world every once in a while.

Keep in mind that hardly anyone's weight loos goals are made or broken by one meal. People cite Thanksgiving, but it's not necessarilly the one meal that did it. Remember that often you had more than one Thanksgiving meal to attend, and then there was the Holiday part at work, your spouse's holiday party at work, your in-laws, etc... And you brought a dish to each of these; did you taste and sample while preparing these dishes? You get the picture. It's never just one meal...

Of course, I've been wrong before....
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it were me, since this dinner/meet-up only happens once a month - I wouldn't worry so much about that meal. We all need a little indulgence now and again. If you feel like you could handle a "freebie" or "cheat" meal without going off the wagon, why not?

I really love mexican food. So, when my best friend comes over and we all decide we want mexican, I don't sweat it. Sure, I might go over on my calories for one day, but if I've been eating and working out the way I'm supposed to, it won't matter - I'll still be at a deficit for the week. The doesn't mean I go hog wild and order the most unhealthy thing I can find - but it does mean that if I really want those flautas,or nachos sounds amazing that day - I go for it.

All of what we're doing here needs to be in moderation. Yes, we all want to be healthy, but in the real world we're thrown into situations where we're confronted with unhealthy options. In the real world, we like foods that probably aren't the best for us. If you can give yourself those things occasionally and it will make you happier, then why not? I say, go to Mom's Night Out, have a nommy mexi-meal, and have some fun. In the morning when you wake up, it will be a new day and you'll have a new set of calories to go by. One splurge a month will not derail you unless you lose control and let it.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    A bowl of tortilla soup, without tortillas or cheese.

A bowl of albondigas soup.

Chicken fajitas with only black beans

Grilled chicken tacos, no cheese and dump them out of tortilla when they arrive (a cheap alternative to fajitas).
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I ended up splitting a veggie fajita with a friend, and I think it was about as good a choice as I could make. I really appreciate everyone's input, thanks!