Literally Out of Ideas of What I CAN Eat! :(

Options

Replies

• EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes I second that, write a list of what you can eat, and we can help you figure out some variety to meals! My mom has a similar list and loves making hummus with just chick peas, salt, olive oil and lemon juice (plus garlic.) It's really good. Also I didn't see many fruits on your list, there's so many good fruit salads. You hopefully can eat beans though so you can get protein somehow without nuts or meat or dairy?
  • jodiedeakin93
    Options
    I'd look into paleo meals. A lot of them have dairy free, gluten free alternatives.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Well, tofu is made from soy so scratch that.

The good news is people with very repetitive, limited diets tend to have no weight problems, for obvious reasons. I guess in your shoes I would find the few palatable, safe foods I could eat and just eat those and scratch eating off the list of entertaining pastimes. In a way it'd be a relief.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest soylent, could be worth a shot
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    So, in a nutshell i have a tonne of allergies and food intolerances that ive been plagued with my entire life, feeling sick or in constant pain most of the time, and now found out theres a bunch more foods i cannot eat. I had gotten pretty used to my limited diet but now with the extra restrictions i am literally at a loss of what i can eat and feel like the majority of my food is just protein shakes at the moment

Does anyone have any food suggestions that do not include the following as they are foods i cannot eat - due to allergies, intolerances that are medically diagnosed (just want to emphasise that since its not a choice here, i literally cannot or risk getting violently ill or dying)

- Gluten
    - Dairy
    - Meat
    - Eggs
    - Yeast
    - Rice
    - Potatoes
    - Goji berries
    - Cherries
    - Pomegranates
    - Mushrooms
    - FODMAP foods (even a slight bit as my GIT is very sensitive) - this is a big list so you may need to google them if you dont know what it includes (here a good link http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/ )
    - Honey
    - Lettuce
    - Cucumber
    - Tomatoes
    - Cocoa
    - Corn
    - Most nuts
    - Gelatine

Thats all i can remember off the top of my head, but as you can see its quite a big list (especially considering the FODMAPS is a big list on its own)
    Also note that most "gluten free" things contain rice, potato, or corn - hence my problem

Any ideas are welcome as this is a 'for life' thing for me, so its seeming quite daunting at the moment :/

Mache
    Spinach
    Sprouts
    Quinoa
    Amaranth
    Millet
    Yams
    Asparagus
    Chamomile Tea

• maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look into the GAPS diet by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. http://www.gapsdiet.com/Home_Page.html

It's very restrictive (though you are already going through that) but many people have success healing their digestive problems and reducing food allergies through it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So, did you determine these sensitivities through testing or did you do an elimination diet?

Because a) testing will often show you intolerant to groups of foods when in reality its only one or two of the group, but because they are so similar and the test isn't that sensitive, it picks up intolerances to the family of foods.

and b) I'm familiar with the fodmap elimination diet - but again, in general most people have CERTAIN fodmaps that they find they need to avoid entirely, others that they find they need to limit but can have in very moderate amounts, and others that are totally fine.

....well, and c) someone already said it but ...how did they diagnose the rice intolerance? Rice is a considered a "safe" food for everyone.

• mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Coconut, quinoa, yams, bananas, blueberries, seeds and seed butter (sunflower seed butter is very good), maple syrup, gluten free oats, hemp-milk, fish, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, zucchini, grapes and grape juice, oranges, strawberries, buckwheat, olive oil, blueberry or strawberry jam, butter is actually ok for most people with milk allergies
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into the Autoimmune Protocol. Your list is more extensive, but it might help give you some ideas. Against All Grain is a good place to start. You might want to also check out Whole New Mom. Her son had severe food allergies and intolerances, too, and so she has had similar struggles to you and might have some ideas.

That said, I recently read this article, which explains the issue of zinc-copper imbalances (I apologize that the author is pretty blatantly anti-veg*n, but please try to see the point it's making about a zinc-copper imbalance, which can be, unfortunately), which includes what seems like an acquired intolerance to animal-based foods.

Your situation reminds me of that, which is why I mentioned it. Also, it brought two questions to mind:
    1. Have you had your zinc and copper levels checked recently?
    2. Do you happen to know if you were intolerant to meat, eggs, and gelatin before you went vegan?

Another question I have is - how severe is your allergy/intolerance of gluten and soy? I ask this, because some people are so sensitive to it that they actually react to the gluten and soy that transfers into meat and eggs, because of the animal's diet. It may actually be that you're reacting to that and not the meat/gelatin or eggs themselves (though the eggs may be an allergen in and of themselves).

Also, have you had a stool analysis done? There's a growing body of evidence that gut flora can affect food tolerances/intolerances. If you can tolerate other kinds of probiotics (sauerkraut, kombucha, probiotic supplements, etc), you might want to look into that and try including them, too. If nothing else, it might help allow you to tolerate better some of the foods that you're only mildly reactive to.

By all means, talk to your doctor/nutritionist. I also second the suggestion for a naturopath, or also look into an integrative physician, and if either your doctor or your nutritionist just says "they're lifelong, deal with it and good luck," find a new one. Doctors are human, too, and medicine is a huge, huge field, and no one doctor knows everything.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If it's just the enzyme for certain foods that you lack, couldn't you take a digestive enzyme supplement with the food?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting to see a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist as unlike nutritionist registered dietitians have a required extensive education and examinations to get their certification.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, first - hugs. I'm in a similar boat. Not quite the same list, but an insanely restrictive set of dietary restrictions anyway, including the grains like rice, so seriously, sympathy hug, hon! (and actually, the disorder I having causing it might be worth exploring, as it's something that can trigger - often from other serious health issues - and involves making the body react to more and more foods, among other things. And it's rare, so most doctors have never even heard of it, let alone know how to test for it - a mast cell activation disorder. Most recent diagnostic criteria can be found here:http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/pdf/v3/i1/1.pdf)

RE: the dietician. First...bahahahaha. Oh man, yeah, that would pretty much be utterly useless. Dieticians are NOT trained for diets as restrictive as this. They get very little training in specialized diets in the first place, and most of what they do have is limited. Often something for diabetes, maybe helping deal with one or two food restrictions at a time, and sometimes even gluten - but not always. I kid you not, the head Dietician at our local hospital was substituting whole wheat foods for potato dishes in the hospital meal plans for gluten free folks, because she thought gluten was something in potatoes. Dieticians know far, far less about specialized diets than most people think they do, sadly.

When a diet gets this complicated, they are rarely of use in helping you know what TO eat, although they CAN be helpful in telling you what nutrients you need to get more of, and then you get to figure your actual diet plan out on your own, in my experience.

But, for food ideas:
    Chickpeas - can you eat these? I know only some legumes are off the FODMAP diet, but wasn't sure how sensitive you were to them. Would be a nice protein source. And you can actually make a flatbread out of it! Socca, a traditional French flatbread, just has chickpea flour, water, salt, and olive oil. That's it. I've made some instead by soaking chickpeas and then blending them up with a little water, salt, and olive oil and making a batter that way, instead. It takes a bit longer to cook, and the pan can't be too big in the oven, but it's actually quite nice. I put veggies on top and use it as a pizza base. If you can have basil, I sometimes just mix basil with a little oil, blend it up, and drizzle that on top, too.

I also make a homemade falafel with them, using soaked chickpeas, parsley, salt, and yellow squash or zucchini. I just blend it up in a food processor until it's a paste and then fry them in olive oil that's maybe 1/2-1 inch deep. You have to kind of adjust the chickpea to squash ratio to get the right consistency, but it works pretty well, as long as you can tolerate something oily/greasy. I can't always, but it's awesome when I can. I tend to dip them in homemade hummus, or roast veggies and put those on top.

jicama - good with salad type things.

Cantaloupe and honeydew melon AND their seeds - you can roast the seeds for both of these and eat them, just like pumpkin seeds, although you need to crack them open, and they're obviously tinier. Tastes good, though, and could give you a little added protein.

Quinoa and amaranth - these are both actually full proteins, rather than partial, so may be very useful to add to the diet. Amaranth can also be eaten raw, so I've seen it added to, say, dried coconut as a snack before, for a little extra crunch.

Sorghum - if you can have this, you can not only make a savory porridge out of it, you can pop it like popcorn - quite good! Millet is also a good one for a porridge-like food to use like you would rice, as something to serve with a savory food.

Mesquite flour - I'm not sure if this would be okay or not, as it's actually based on a legume. However, the flour is actually from the pod, not the bean, so it might be okay on the FODMAP diet. It tastes sweet, too, so might do nicely with a binding agent like crushed chia seed or flaxseed.

Prickly pear and nopalitos - just nice, a bit exotic, but might be doable. The nopalitos are a bit mucellagenous, so go well in gumbo kinds of things.

Squash? - I just saw this neat idea using butternut squash. Take the top part of the butternut squash, the neck. Peel it, and then slice it into rounds. Then you bake the rounds in the oven for a bit, and then top them with something and make mini pizzas out of them, essentially. :-)

Bell peppers - the inner pith and seeds are actually both edible, too, so again, a tiny bit more protein in the diet, along with vitamin e for most of the seeds, at least a little. That's really hard to get without eating seeds/nuts.

For any of the nuts that you CAN have - you can make your own nut milk, if you are not doing that already, so can make a nice drink, or add it to something, or even make a popsicle out of it if you mix it with something sweet. I think maple syrup is okay on the FODMAP, yeah?

Also, if you can have cashews, you are probably already making cashew cream, yeah? You can do it with any other nuts, too. Taste is different, but still useful to mess about with (I've got cashews and pecans that I can have, myself).

Sweet potatoes any good, or are they starchy enough to also be a problem? If you can have them, here's what has turned out well for me. Bake 1-2 sweet potatoes, cool, and peel. Then juice a few lemons or oranges and boil the juice until it's concentrated, maybe half the volume. I usually end up with 1/4 cup or a little less, after boiling, for two large sweet potatoes. Then mix the juice into the sweet potato - it adds a really nice zing, tones down the earthy overtones from the sweet potato. You can't do this with purchased juice - the chemicals and other things added to these make any homemade concentrate from them very bitter and nasty, I've found.

Fresh herbs - seriously, the BEST thing I ever did was start an herb garden. That has been such a help in adding flavor to the limited diet, and I can use huge bunches of them. Also, they are a good source of many vitamins, and anti-inflammatory besides, so a great thing to add to your foods.

Oh, sweet potato leaves - if you want to just plant a sweet potato half immersed in water (kind of like an avocado seed), it'll start to sprout leaves and you can eat the leaves in stir fries and such. Nice way to get some greens in the winter.

broccoli- you've seen that cauliflower rice, yeah? I've done this to broccoli too and it turned out all right.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head, really. Wish I had more for you - it's such a struggle when there's so few foods you can eat. For myself, I literally started looking at local wild foods I could forage for, or grow myself, I was so desperate. But that's turned out quite nice, honestly, so I would kind of recommend it! ^_^
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shaumom for being so helpful and understanding of my situation. I think its one that is so strange and unique that those who dont have similar experiences often struggle to understand it, so i greatly appreciate your words and advice :smiley:
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In response to a few other questions - i tried taking digestive enzymes in the past but they exacerbated several other problems so it was decided that they couldnt be continued

I am extremely sensitive to gluten, which is incredibly annoying as i was originally hoping i could get away with little bits of it or even oats, but sadly even small amounts result in massive problems

Rice/starch intolerance was diagnosed during my time in hospital when i was younger and since then all attempts to re-introduce it (with hopes that my body was producing higher amounts of the enzyme) have failed.
    I cannot have sweet potatoes/yams

I do currently eat millet puffs - which i love!

For those wanting me to write down the foods i can have, at the moment these are things i usually rotate around:
    - millet puffs
    - tofu (special types with no soy sauce or other gluten etc)
    - pea protein shakes
    - pumpkin soup
    - blueberries
    - strawberries
    - chia seeds
    - water chestnuts
    - cut green beans
    - small amounts of flaxseeds
    - zucchini
    - capsicums

Thats about it, at the moment

I know its a hard thing to express online, but it is almost scary eating things i am not 100% sure wont make me sick/in pain after spending years and years of being sick or in pain almost everyday from what i was eating.
    Especially at the moment, doing medical school exams, i cant spend time being sick and risk failing. Im not saying it to shoot down any ideas or as a 'woe is me', its merely to provide a bit of additional context to the current situation and basis of a lot of stress for me right now
  • baum7934
    Options
    Can you explain why you cannot eat soy? I'm confused that you can eat tofu but yet said earlier no soy. You do understand that tofu is made from soy, right?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I thought I'd question it because if you can tolerate tofu, then you can certainly include lots of other soy products in your diet - like edamame, soy yogurt, ect.
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is the first thing I would cling to. Maybe some nice quinoa salad with the veggies you can eat which seem to be carrot, celery, zucchini, etc.. Roasting those would make them delicious. Maybe put in some sunflower seeds and use lime juice as a dressing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Okay, first - hugs. I'm in a similar boat. Not quite the same list, but an insanely restrictive set of dietary restrictions anyway, including the grains like rice, so seriously, sympathy hug, hon! (and actually, the disorder I having causing it might be worth exploring, as it's something that can trigger - often from other serious health issues - and involves making the body react to more and more foods, among other things. And it's rare, so most doctors have never even heard of it, let alone know how to test for it - a mast cell activation disorder. Most recent diagnostic criteria can be found here:http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/pdf/v3/i1/1.pdf)

RE: the dietician. First...bahahahaha. Oh man, yeah, that would pretty much be utterly useless. Dieticians are NOT trained for diets as restrictive as this. They get very little training in specialized diets in the first place, and most of what they do have is limited. Often something for diabetes, maybe helping deal with one or two food restrictions at a time, and sometimes even gluten - but not always. I kid you not, the head Dietician at our local hospital was substituting whole wheat foods for potato dishes in the hospital meal plans for gluten free folks, because she thought gluten was something in potatoes. Dieticians know far, far less about specialized diets than most people think they do, sadly.

When a diet gets this complicated, they are rarely of use in helping you know what TO eat, although they CAN be helpful in telling you what nutrients you need to get more of, and then you get to figure your actual diet plan out on your own, in my experience.

But, for food ideas:
    Chickpeas - can you eat these? I know only some legumes are off the FODMAP diet, but wasn't sure how sensitive you were to them. Would be a nice protein source. And you can actually make a flatbread out of it! Socca, a traditional French flatbread, just has chickpea flour, water, salt, and olive oil. That's it. I've made some instead by soaking chickpeas and then blending them up with a little water, salt, and olive oil and making a batter that way, instead. It takes a bit longer to cook, and the pan can't be too big in the oven, but it's actually quite nice. I put veggies on top and use it as a pizza base. If you can have basil, I sometimes just mix basil with a little oil, blend it up, and drizzle that on top, too.

I also make a homemade falafel with them, using soaked chickpeas, parsley, salt, and yellow squash or zucchini. I just blend it up in a food processor until it's a paste and then fry them in olive oil that's maybe 1/2-1 inch deep. You have to kind of adjust the chickpea to squash ratio to get the right consistency, but it works pretty well, as long as you can tolerate something oily/greasy. I can't always, but it's awesome when I can. I tend to dip them in homemade hummus, or roast veggies and put those on top.

jicama - good with salad type things.

Cantaloupe and honeydew melon AND their seeds - you can roast the seeds for both of these and eat them, just like pumpkin seeds, although you need to crack them open, and they're obviously tinier. Tastes good, though, and could give you a little added protein.

Quinoa and amaranth - these are both actually full proteins, rather than partial, so may be very useful to add to the diet. Amaranth can also be eaten raw, so I've seen it added to, say, dried coconut as a snack before, for a little extra crunch.

Sorghum - if you can have this, you can not only make a savory porridge out of it, you can pop it like popcorn - quite good! Millet is also a good one for a porridge-like food to use like you would rice, as something to serve with a savory food.

Mesquite flour - I'm not sure if this would be okay or not, as it's actually based on a legume. However, the flour is actually from the pod, not the bean, so it might be okay on the FODMAP diet. It tastes sweet, too, so might do nicely with a binding agent like crushed chia seed or flaxseed.

Prickly pear and nopalitos - just nice, a bit exotic, but might be doable. The nopalitos are a bit mucellagenous, so go well in gumbo kinds of things.

Squash? - I just saw this neat idea using butternut squash. Take the top part of the butternut squash, the neck. Peel it, and then slice it into rounds. Then you bake the rounds in the oven for a bit, and then top them with something and make mini pizzas out of them, essentially. :-)

Bell peppers - the inner pith and seeds are actually both edible, too, so again, a tiny bit more protein in the diet, along with vitamin e for most of the seeds, at least a little. That's really hard to get without eating seeds/nuts.

For any of the nuts that you CAN have - you can make your own nut milk, if you are not doing that already, so can make a nice drink, or add it to something, or even make a popsicle out of it if you mix it with something sweet. I think maple syrup is okay on the FODMAP, yeah?

Also, if you can have cashews, you are probably already making cashew cream, yeah? You can do it with any other nuts, too. Taste is different, but still useful to mess about with (I've got cashews and pecans that I can have, myself).

Sweet potatoes any good, or are they starchy enough to also be a problem? If you can have them, here's what has turned out well for me. Bake 1-2 sweet potatoes, cool, and peel. Then juice a few lemons or oranges and boil the juice until it's concentrated, maybe half the volume. I usually end up with 1/4 cup or a little less, after boiling, for two large sweet potatoes. Then mix the juice into the sweet potato - it adds a really nice zing, tones down the earthy overtones from the sweet potato. You can't do this with purchased juice - the chemicals and other things added to these make any homemade concentrate from them very bitter and nasty, I've found.

Fresh herbs - seriously, the BEST thing I ever did was start an herb garden. That has been such a help in adding flavor to the limited diet, and I can use huge bunches of them. Also, they are a good source of many vitamins, and anti-inflammatory besides, so a great thing to add to your foods.

Oh, sweet potato leaves - if you want to just plant a sweet potato half immersed in water (kind of like an avocado seed), it'll start to sprout leaves and you can eat the leaves in stir fries and such. Nice way to get some greens in the winter.

broccoli- you've seen that cauliflower rice, yeah? I've done this to broccoli too and it turned out all right.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head, really. Wish I had more for you - it's such a struggle when there's so few foods you can eat. For myself, I literally started looking at local wild foods I could forage for, or grow myself, I was so desperate. But that's turned out quite nice, honestly, so I would kind of recommend it! ^_^

#1 bashing registered dieticians win win

#2 The diet is restrictive by choice. . . .I am Vegan double win-win

#3 Maybe the OP could just open her diary and avoid the suspense and drama. IE what the heck do you actually eat?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I do actually have a dietician, although i am grateful for the recommendation. Even they were at a bit of a loss though as to how much of a variety i can truly have.
    Yes, i am vegan, but since then i have found i cannot actually eat meat/dairy/eggs anyway so i thought it was easier to write them like that than just have people tell me to stop being vegan, which for me is not an option. I greatly respect everyone's choice to eat how they choose, i just cannot imagine life (for me) not being vegan. Sorry if that upsets anyone

In response to an earlier post - i cannot eat oatmeal, salmon, tuna, avocado, watermelon, cabbage, beetroot, snow peas
    I can eat tofu, but only if it does not contain soy cause which is in a lot more varieties of tofu than you would expect

Long story short - i had chemo several times over my life and its altered a lot of my GIT which was already sensitive. So ive spent a lot of time with drs and things about all this but no way to "cure" it as of yet. The rice/potatoes is because my body does not produce the enzyme necessary to sufficiently break the high amounts of starch in them.

I am going to see my gastroenterologist soon, i was just hoping that maybe someone had suggestions or something to see me through until then as its not for a few more weeks, given that im currently doing medical exams (as in im studying medicine and our exam period is pretty full on right now)

(altered for spelling)

Your dietician is at a loss but has not suggested food supplements? I have a close relative with severe food allergies and other GI problems. Most of his nutrition and calories come from food supplements.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a fruit allergy as a cross effect of my hayfever. My allergist told me to microwave fruit for 30 seconds before eating, because that breaks down the protein that causes my allergy. Do check with your allergist first.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You definately need to check out Great Taste, No Pain. My husband has Ulcerative Colitis and when he actually follows this, his symptoms are relieved and he feels a lot better. Unfortunately he can't handle being on this "diet" for whatever reason and chooses to just take the daily medication to keep his symptoms at bay.