Sodium Levels too low?

Options
simmondsjon
simmondsjon Posts: 14 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All,

I've been using your app for a few weeks, logging everything I eat to get an idea on how much I consume etc.

One thing I've noticed is my Sodium levels are low according to the MFP recommended rates.

E.g. my goal is 2300 according to MFP, my logs are the following:

Tues: 773
1,527 remaining

Mon: 1,199
1,101 remaining

Sun: 317
1,983 remaining

Sat: 895
1,405 remaining

I've also upped my water intake recently which I'm thinking may make the situation worse.

How does this compare with all your logs and how would I up it?

Jon

Replies

• anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you don't have actual problems related to low sodium consumption (ex: low blood pressure), I don't think you need to worry about it. I wouldn't increase it just because you're under MFP's "recommendation".

I don't really keep track of my sodium levels but I know I'm never over.
  • simmondsjon
    Options
    I should add that I think I've become aware my short term memory isn't as good as it was before I began losing weight/working out, I have quite a memory orientated job in IT and I find I can't remember certain things sometimes ha. Nothing serious just slightly noticeable.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sodium is necessary for muscle movement. Water aids in the neuronal firing, and neurons are how your brain tells your body to do something. Too low sodium, and you will find yourself exhausted sooner doing activities, or do not have the same neurological power (for memory, i.e.). You can just eat a food that has sodium. Bacon is a good go-to for that (I eat it everyday). Pickles are loaded with it. And, mostly anything packaged. Sodium is a preservative, so if you buy packaged meat, or cheese slices, sodium will be there. Very easy in this day and age to up your sodium.

Keep in mind that you need to keep your Potassium levels in check as well. They kind of work together, but Potassium regulates blood flow and heart rate.
  • tashabarker1
    tashabarker1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of foods in the database are incorrect for sodium. As MFP has amounts in mg, most packages give in g and many entering sodium content just put the grams amount eg 1(g) rather than 1000mg. Just a suggestion.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink water, you need sodium. Most people who get the too much water, too low sodium thing are athletes who run marathons and drink plain water to re-hydrate without any salt. It doesn't usually happen to everyday people. However, if you drink an extraordinary amount of water, or if you've been doing high water/low sodium over a long period of time, it could lead to some issues.

I've had doctors tell me different things about it. But this older doc when I had heat exhaustion was very against drinking water without enough salt. His take was that it was VERY easy to flush all the salt out with water. Some doctors say it's more difficult.

Cognitive issues are a symptom of water poisoning (too much water; not enough salt), but they can also be symptoms of other things as well. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor. Be sure to give them absolute values. Doctors will often write unlikely things off (most Americans do NOT have this problem, because they get a lot of salt). So, be sure to give them firm examples of what you're specifically doing.

How much water are you actually drinking? Is it significantly more than 10 cups?
  • simmondsjon
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, 2.5 litres a day usually .