Help changing body shape

Options
I have been using mfp for over a year now. Initially I had some weight to lose but now I have reached my goal weight but I still have too much fat around my middle. I don't want to lose any more weight as I'm only 118lb, how can I stop losing weight and start changing my body shape?

I exercise 3 times a week, Les mills classes (step and attack) and a 20,20,20 class which incorporates weights, cardio and abs. I also use a set of Dumbbells at home, just a few exercises when I have a spare bit of time, not a proper routine though. I eat between 1300 and 1500 calories a day. I have upped my protein intake and take in around 70g net (so also have additional protein in exercise days)

Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue to reduce body fat while maintaining your weight, hit the weights and slowly increase your calories until your weight stabilizes. Hold your calorie level for a week or 2, and if you find that you've lost weight after that time, bump up 100 cal/day and repeat. It may take you a several weeks to find your maintenance calorie level, but this is the best way to find it with minimal body fat gains.

Weightlifting is a great way to exercise that promotes changes in body composition.

Allan
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue to reduce body fat while maintaining your weight, hit the weights and slowly increase your calories until your weight stabilizes. Hold your calorie level for a week or 2, and if you find that you've lost weight after that time, bump up 100 cal/day and repeat. It may take you a several weeks to find your maintenance calorie level, but this is the best way to find it with minimal body fat gains.

Weightlifting is a great way to exercise that promotes changes in body composition.

Allan

All of the previous posters have given you great advice. I changed my body from a pear to an hourglass by lifting heavy, but you need to add calories as well.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Burpees are a killer on those ABS AND EVERYTHING ELSE do rep to failure every other day, I once was to out of shape to even to two, now I do 5 sets of 20 and totally feel a difference in my core
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my other half has one of those basic weight machines at home, could I use that? As I said, I already do some dumbell exercises.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Your genetics govern your absolute shape, so if you're not an hourglass, you may never be and if you can't get your hips to be less, you may have hit bone. ;-)

I did body pump and weight/cardio classes for a year and a half and now I'm doing boot camp and bodysculpt at the Y. I totally resculpted my muscles are definitely there and I never do heavy lifting.

I found that after I was on maintenance for a while, my clothing size went down, but my weight did not.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lots of quality protein and toning and strength excercises. strive for squat, bench and back rows.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start a lifting program.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Allan

All of the previous posters have given you great advice. I changed my body from a pear to an hourglass by lifting heavy, but you need to add calories as well.

How did you go from pear to hour glass? I'm assuming your back and shoulders got larger to even it out?
  • jeniferjoshua14
    Options
    All these days i struggled to turn my shape to hour glass and my boyfriend suggested an app named Simply Easy Diet. This app seems to be good as am using it for more than a month. It's kind of virtual trainer and it takes care of all our fitness requirements. It tracks of and maintains a calorie chart, my daily exercise, meal charts and more, all of which blend together to tell where we need to work on more. More over my boyfriend is looking forward for my complete model shape . <3
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, a first time poster recommending a different app! Plus creepy mention of a boyfriend who seems way too interested in changing the way his woman looks!