Runners question

Options
Hey runners! I need some advice. I've been doing the c25k program for months! (maybe only once or twice a week sometimes) I just cant seem to do this. I dont know if it is physiological or psychological. I get soooo tired by the end of a 90 sec run I need to bend over to breath - my legs ache and I just have to stop running and walk. Why cant I do this??

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Slow down. It sounds like you are running too fast.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing it once or twice a week then you are not building any fitness. You need to do it a minimum of three times a week to improve. It will be hard at first but will get easier rather quickly.
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to lower your speed down. I started out running at 6mph..but I could hardly do it...but once I bumped it down to 5 I could do a lot more...try that and see how it is...its just going to take time for your body to get used to it. Also..try doing it 3x a week...I used to run Mon, Wed and Fri's. And when I did that consistently I was able to push myself a lot easier and made running almost easier also. Try that and see how it works for ya.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Are you jogging or sprinting? I do it jogging slowly and it's been working for me. If you are jogging slowly and have really been sticking to it then you could see your doctor.
  • elesley
    elesley Posts: 5
    Options
    If you are doing the couch to 5K, you need to follow the program. The program is set to make sure you do all the exercises. It takes time to build muscles and aerobic capacity. I know this, I am (was) a runner. I tore my meniscus on Nov. 14 in a 1/2 marathon and haven't run since. After surgery March 3, I am doing what you are doing, daily small runs and building up aerobic. If running is too much, build aerobic on elliptical machine, or bike. Pick a time, like 45 minutes, that you will accomplish aerobics. Stick to that as well as the couch to 5K and you will be there. I will be there to help you, as I am on the same journey. I signed up for a 5K on June 12, that is my goal.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    take it slow. i personally didnt know about the c25k program when i started running so i would just do a 3 mile loop around a park. Id run as much as i could (MAYBE 30 seconds at first) then Id take a walk break till my heart rate went below 160 then I'd run again and so forth until the loop was complete. Eventually (after like 2 months) I could run the entire 3 miles with out stopping. So if the C25K thing isnt working, just listen to your body. You can also try the run one song/walk one song concept if you listen to music.

Good luck!
  • gia555
    gia555 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing the sun run training, I am on week 5. It works, so far so good. Try this one it seems to be a great program. Good luck :)
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing it once or twice a week then you are not building any fitness. You need to do it a minimum of three times a week to improve. It will be hard at first but will get easier rather quickly.

Slow down as well. You can do it.
  • Mark1968
    Mark1968 Posts: 21
    Options
    Run slower and more days per week. It will come but it does take work. I went from running 30 seconds and walking 5 minutes to recover to completing a half marathon in 2 hours 11 minutes last weekend. You can do it just have to be consistant.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Try to do the three days a week as it is planned out.

And slow down. It isn't about speed at this point but more about just doing it.

I was gasping for breath in the first few weeks but trust me, it does get better and easier. Stick with the plan, it works wonders.

I never ran in my life until I started the C25K in Aug 2010 at the age of 42 and am working on my first 10K now next month.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was ready to run week 2 at the end of week 3, so each workout will push you, but you build upon that...and like I said, you notice it a week or so later. The advice of slowing down your pace, YES! And make sure you are keeping a good pace during your walks too so that the transition into running isn't that huge. And do your best to try to do the work out 3 times a week with at least a day off in between.
    Winning the head game can be hard, there were times I wanted to quit, a lot of times in fact! It wasn't until week 5 that I really started thinking, "OK, I can do this!" When that moment comes, it is so worth it! The program works, try to stick with it!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Slow down. It sounds like you are running too fast.

Agreed! take it nice and slow and you will build up. You can do it!
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah. What they all said. Sounds like you are trying to run too fast, too soon. Right now, you are trying to build up endurance, not speed. Once you have some endurance, you'll be able to pick up your pace a little more comfortably. It'll happen. You have to keep at it, though, or it'll take much longer to get there. If you are going more often, you will notice one day...HEY! I can keep going!
    Good luck, and keep it up!
    :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Find a pace that's just a little too fast to walk, so it's as slow as you can possibly jog. Probably between 4 and 5 mph. Once you're used to jogging, you can pick up the pace a bit.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said, and most importantly don't give up!!! Running is one of the only things that you'll be able to feel yourself improving with every run as long as you stick with it!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    SLOWWWWW DOWWWWWWWN! Start with a rather slow jog, and see how far you can go with that. My biggest beginning mistake was trying to start running at a fast pace. You gotta build your endurance and mileage base, and then worry about speed.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had to first start doing my aerobic on the elliptical machine. Hated it at first but it's where I first hit and overcame "the wall". Once I did that for a few weeks I began jogging our parking deck at work. By jog I mean alternating between a "trot" and a "determined walk". My pace averages 4.5mph for the whole thing and I'm geting faster the more I do it. But I don't think I could be doing this if I hadn't built up some strenth in my lungs and legs on the elliptical first. I can now jog (trot) about a mile without walking, I wasn't able to even do that in high school when I was at what is now my goal weight. Also make sure you're stretching really well before and after. Also if you can't "keep up with the program" then modify it!! this is your journey anyway, doesn't matter how fast you get there, as long as you get there, right?

Of course, I've been wrong before, what do I know...
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I agree with the slow down and do more days advice, you have to build stamina and a beginners mistake is to go too hard too fast. you can start by going 1/2 miles to one mile faster than your fastest walking speed. I didn't do couch to 5k, by the time I had heard of it I was already using something different but my daughter did it after a hip injury she had during cross country and the basic idea is to get you moving consistently and once you have the time down after your first completion of the program you can go back and work on getting faster!

Slow and steady wins when it comes to building the strength and stamina for new runners, you can bust out the speed once you are done with your initial program :wink:
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Ok- Thanks for all the advice. I'll try it a little slower and add some more patience!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I understand that feeling. You are probably running too fast, but if you are still having problems breathing it could be that you have sports induced asthma as well. Pay attention to how you are breathing and if it is difficult to breath or if you are just tired. When I was younger I had sports induced asthma and then it seemed to go away. But of course...it is now back and I have to use an inhaler before I start running. As for the leg pain, I find that if I am taking too short of a stride my legs tend to get tight quicker, so test out your stride and see how you feel after that. Stretching is also key. I hate stretching, but I do a warm-up and then I stretch and continue on with my work out.