Ladies ! Should I bulk ?

Options
(Sorry for the mistakes if any, I'm french)

Just a quick post to get your opinions. I hired an online coach a week ago, and she gave me a training routine to follow which is great (1 hour 6 days a week including 40 min of cardio), but I'm kinda hesitant on the diet side. Last week she gave me a 1750 diet to follow with precise macros, but my weight was stable so this week is 1600 cals only.

I'm hungry all the time.

My current weight is 115 lbs for 5'4, and 18% bodyfat. I'm not sure I still need to cut ? Why so little calories ? I suppose she knows what she did, she's a model and trains for years now, but I just wanted to know if you had any ideas on her choice, to help me understand

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It is up to you.
    Do you like what you see in the mirror?
    What are your long term goals?

If you want to gain muscle a bulk is great, if you are happy with yourself begin to maintain.

This isn't something anyone can dictate for you. If you want people to give an opinion on what you need to do, you need to tell us what your goals are.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well I ran your numbers and 1600 would be your sedentary TDEE (maintenance calories) so that would definitely cause you to lose weight given your activity level. Your TDEE with the amount of exercise you do would actually be more like

Were you clear with her about your goals? It sounds to me like she's under the impression that you want to lose weight given the lowering of the daily calories. You're already at the low end of the normal weight range for your height so I don't think you need to lose more weight. Perhaps a good clear discussion is in order and if she doesn't get it, time to cut ties and get a new trainer.

Not sure if you know this but it's extremely difficult for women to gain muscle. If you do bulk, you will also be gaining some fat so you need to make peace with that. I'm no expert with this but I believe you'll also need to be doing more lifting and less cardio for bulking as well. Good luck!
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel the need to loose weight, I would talk to the coach and voice your preferred calorie intake and goals. It doesn't sound like you should be loosing anymore weight. But that is up to you and your doctor if you are consulting with one. Right now maintaining and conditioning seems to be what you should be doing. Weight lifting can be part of that if you like. That is my personal plan when I hit my target goal. Not to bulk up but to tone. Don't let the coach control you. You are in control of your journey, not them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Trainers are not the best people to be giving out diet and nutrition advice. Do what you feel is right for you or seek the input of a dietitian.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Trainers are not the best people to be giving out diet and nutrition advice. Do what you feel is right for you or seek the input of a dietitian.

Depends on their qualifications.

OP - How was your bodyfat measured? 18% is really low for a woman so if that is indeed accurate I can't imagine you 'need' to cut (unless you're looking to compete)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow you sound pretty lean, I would not think that sort of diet and body fat is sustainable so unless you have a specific need to be leaner (eg a comp approaching) I would think it would not hurt to carry a little more weight
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 115 as well. What are your goals? I would lose on 1600 calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    clemdomino wrote: »
    (Sorry for the mistakes if any, I'm french)

Just a quick post to get your opinions. I hired an online coach a week ago, and she gave me a training routine to follow which is great (1 hour 6 days a week including 40 min of cardio), but I'm kinda hesitant on the diet side. Last week she gave me a 1750 diet to follow with precise macros, but my weight was stable so this week is 1600 cals only.

I'm hungry all the time.

My current weight is 115 lbs for 5'4, and 18% bodyfat. I'm not sure I still need to cut ? Why so little calories ? I suppose she knows what she did, she's a model and trains for years now, but I just wanted to know if you had any ideas on her choice, to help me understand

Thanks for reading!

1) is the training routine she gave you based on bulking or cutting goals?

2) Are the calorie/macro goals she gave you based on bulking or cutting goals?

3) Your weight was stable at 1600, so 1750 to bulk is a good starting point. Yes, you can go higher if you want, but you'll increase the fat you gain during the bulk.

4) Do you weigh/measure/log everything? Just making sure your 1600 cals is really 1600 cals.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk, you probably shouldn't be down to 1600 cals. Unless she gave you a plan to lose weight?

How can she conclude that 1750 is too much after only a week? what about water weight, time of the month, muscle memory, etc.

She's a fitness model? What's her nutrition background? I have nothing against competitors, but after being followed by an actual dietician for over a year, I find that trainers' nutrition advice is not always the best and is often unfounded (sugar in carrots will not make you gain weight!!!)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also consider if you're maintaining on 1600- and only add 150 calories- odds are youre body is going to absorb that into a "maintenance" stage quickly- it's not a big enough addition to create a surplus.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Were you clear with her about your goals? It sounds to me like she's under the impression that you want to lose weight given the lowering of the daily calories. You're already at the low end of the normal weight range for your height so I don't think you need to lose more weight. Perhaps a good clear discussion is in order and if she doesn't get it, time to cut ties and get a new trainer.

Not sure if you know this but it's extremely difficult for women to gain muscle. If you do bulk, you will also be gaining some fat so you need to make peace with that. I'm no expert with this but I believe you'll also need to be doing more lifting and less cardio for bulking as well. Good luck!

Yup, yup.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Eek. That's too low. Tell her you don't need to lose weight--though that should be obvious...Check her certifications. She may have just sent you her standard plan she sends to ALL her clients regardless of their individual needs.
  • clemdomino
    Options
    Sorry girls, yes I want to build muscle. That's my goal. I sent her a mail yesterday telling her exactly what my goals were, and she said we will up my intake (1870 cals now), but that she was impressed I was so hungry and that my metabolism should be really high ?! That's weird, because I don't think 1870 cals are so much oO
  • clemdomino
    Options
    Oh and yes I weigh everything with a kitchen scale. For BF % I used accumeasure caliper, and got 8/9 mm which is 18% for my age... And yes I'm "ripped", but that's not what I want. Right now I'm too skinny... I want to build muscle.

I don't know if my current training program is based on bulking or cutting, she didn't specify it. But it's mostly based on weight training at the gym 1h 5 days a week, and just 40 min of cardio a week so I guess it's based on bulking.
  • clemdomino
    Options
    And no I don't think she has any certifications. She has just great results on herself... She's pretty well known on the internet she has a Youtube channel...

She's nice and the training program is ok for me because I feel I'm growing stronger but not enough. I don't have enough energy for training, I wake up hungry at night etc.

Yes, I know it's hard for women to build muscle and I'm ready to take the "risk" of gaining fat because the price to pay is worth it ! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ok, I misunderstood what you wrote about your training program. That actually sounds pretty solid. The 1870 might not be quite enough to give you a surplus but sometimes pinning down an actual figure is tough so try it for at least 4 weeks and see how you do. If you're still not gaining, up it another 100-200 cal per day and give it another 4 weeks. Best of luck!
  • clemdomino
    Options
    Yes, I'll do that. Thank you!