Post vacation weight gain

Options
I could use some encouragement! Worked so hard to lose 8 lbs (30 is goal$ and gained it all back in a 6 day vacation!! I'm so sad and mad at myself. Grrr. I'm back on track today but could use are happy words. Anyone else do this?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why dont you complain to the holiday company?
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Not sure that's supportive. Ito be clear, I'm well aware it's my own bad choices that caused my gain. Just was hoping for some "fell off the wagon" words of encouragement. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Please don't be discouraged and don't be so focused on scale readings. As long as you continue eating at a deficit you will get to your goal. And yes vacations kill me but I don't let the bump in weight get me down. I know that I had fun that is what vacations are for. :)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A 6lb fluctuation isn't that bad! Once you get back into it hopefully you'll find a few pounds of it was water weight and it'll come right off :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Go for a 10 mile run. That will sort you out....
  • HCG73
    HCG73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I expect it is just water retention. I went away last weekend for a spa break and ate more than usual, but not loads, just different foods. I came two days later and weighed 4 pounds more. However I've been back 4 days now and I'm back to where I was, so don't worry.

I'm actually going on holiday in 10 days time to Gran Canaria so I'm glad this happened to me now so that I don't freak when I come back!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about it, you had a great vacation (I hope), now you're back home, just get back to what you were doing before your vacation.

I'm about to go on a 6 day vacation, not worried too much about weight gain. Already plan to hit the hotel fitness center at least half hour a day, try to make good food choices, drink plenty of water, but more importantly, enjoy myself. Not saying I will be able to stick to this plan 100% or that I won't put on a few pounds, but I'm hoping having a plan will help get me back on track when I return.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Unless you were eating like 15k calories a day, it's very unlikely you gained it all back :stuck_out_tongue:

Get back on track this week and you're likely to see a lot of it's water retention. I lost 10lb in a week after coming back from a holiday.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company? :) -

In a very similar situation myself. What I am doing is recognizing "you ate a bit more, had more sodium and you drank.... So, get back on track, watch what you're eating (even if you're within range) and move forward."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Last vacation I gained 9lbs in a week. 7lbs was purely water and bloating, 2lbs was fat and was gone in a couple of weeks with a moderate deficit and back into my normal exercise routine. My sun tan lasted a lot longer than my temporary weight gain! B)
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I'm trying not to focus on the numbers. But I did have fun!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    When I gain scale weight on vacation, it's usually water weight and I go back to normal in a few days. Give it some time before you determine that it's actually fat.
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't make the same mistakes as I did! Treasure your vacation but expect the most out of yourself when it comes to getting back on track. Back in April, I went on a weeklong vacation to an all-inclusive resort. I gained about 8 pounds on the trip but I had a great time and was in the best physical condition of my adult life (overweight but no longer obese) so I told myself that the food freedom was all worth it and my weight would go back down when I got back into the swing of normal daily life. Unfortunately, my appetite became accustomed to the indulgent portions in that short week and I struggled with hunger a lot in the months that followed. Nutrition, rather than exercise, had been the main element of my weight loss up until the trip (I had lost about 50 lbs at that time through a healthy balanced diet). I gained a total of 23 lbs back (including the initial trip weight gain) between April and August because I didn't push myself soon enough to fight my new appetite. I had just hoped numbers would go back to normal on their own and that my pre-trip healthy habits would be easy to resume. Vacations are amazing and necessary but they can relax you a little too much. You definitely don't need to feel bad about the 8 pounds (I don't regret my vacation at all). Just take the steps now to get back on the right track as soon as possible.