Who has had to completely give up alcohol for weight loss?

Options
Have any of you had to stop drinking alcohol completely to reach your fitness goal? If so, how did that change your social life - if at all?

Originally I only drank over the weekends. Then I reduced it to one night only. Now I see I can not have it at all. The wine its self is an issue (its so calorically dense) but the other issue is the food choices I make afterwards. Ill find my self snacking on everything in the cupboard/fridge making pretty gross combinations of things or buying ice cream/cheesecake, ect on the way home. Basically I engage binge behavior. It takes all week for my body to look and feel the way it did before I had my night out - and then it is time to go out again. It feels like being on a hamster wheel!
Interestingly enough, I don't actually like the feeling of being intoxicated that much and yet I am still drinking in social situations.

I am curious how everyone else has gotten around this.

Replies

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Maybe make it once a month?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally be able to fit a beer into my calories, but it's been awhile. A couple days ago, I went out with some co-workers and got some rum and diet coke and fit the rum calories into my day (no calories in diet coke). I didn't have enough calories to drink beer that day.

With that said, I very rarely drink anymore. It used to be that I would have drinks every week or two with friends, so it wasn't like I drank a lot all the time. But I'm also very open and comfortable saying that I'm trying to lose weight and I'll drink diet soda instead. Sometimes people give me a hard time, but I know they don't mean anything bad about it... it is just a friendly jab about my eating habits now.

So... drink diet soda and volunteer to be the designated driver.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I gave it totally up. The 9 bottles of beer that I had in my fridge 8 weeks ago are still there. At first I didn't think I would want to. However, seeing the impact to calories made it a no-brainer. I was drinking 1-2 bottles each night and went to zero immediately. After this time, I no longer even desire it. Probably will give those 9 bottles to a friend to finish off.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in a similar position, I only drink at a weekend but it is really destroying my progress, I never used to drink very much and my progress seemed a lot better then (although I think there are many reasons for my lack of progress!)

why not try it for a month and see how it goes?
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I gave up alcohol for a month when I was on Isagenix and lost weight. I don't know if it was directly related to the lack of booze or just low caloric intake... probably both. But I definitely think that if I were to give up alcohol altogether, I would reach my fitness goals much more quickly. Alcohol, if it doesn't take up all my calories itself, will usually lead to me making poor decisions that do (heeeey let's order pizza or get poutine!!).

I'm starting to think I need to give up wine for a little while to see if anything changes...
  • cherishe1
    cherishe1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I cant stay motivated if drinking. So I have cut it to only going out to a bar and only once a month. It seems to work.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you've got a car, it's pretty simple. Be the designated driver.

Otherwise, budget better and use self control. If you want to drink in a social situation, have a drink or two, not 6 and have healthier snacks available to you. If you plan ahead so that you have the calories to do it, it won't really have an impact on your weight loss.

I don't drink often, but I do drink socially from time to time (weddings, camping, etc). Typically, if I'm going to drink, I'm recognizing that I won't lose that week. I've been losing weight for 3 years; another week to get to my goal weight won't kill me. So eating/drinking at maintenance for a week is okay to me.

If you don't want to drink, you can still attend all the places your friends would normally go. Or, try setting up different activities. I know we're heading into fall, but instead of planning to go to a bar, you could try planning different activities that don't involve alcohol if you're uncomfortable being around it. Otherwise, learn to live with it and use moderation.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Not Me enjoy a drink when I like and now that I am not so large. Get a buzz a little quicker.

29509743.png
  • mgmgrand3133
    mgmgrand3133 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to drink in the summer on Friday nights. I play in a sand volleyball league with friends. I adjust for the extra calories and limit myself to 2-3 beers. I burn at least the 1st one off during our games. We play 3 games in 90 minutes.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have trouble fitting it in my calories, but I haven't put anything off-limits. I just have to save room or exercise enough.
  • jeremynotsofat
    jeremynotsofat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I'm practicing low-carb, ketogenic eating, and there are two things I really miss: pizza and beer. I can occasionally fit a tiny bit into my calories, but either one of those two bad boys usually leads me to make further bad eating and drinking choices. It's a struggle. I am comfortable accepting a slower rate of weight loss, but have to work very hard to keep my drinking in check and making my calorie goals. A cold beer is good, but I've always been the type who'd rather have at least 2 or 3 in a social gathering, so often it's easiest for me to just abstain entirely except for very special occasions like campouts with friends or something, preferably on days when I've had a good workout. Hope this helps!
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Other than a sip of wine at a religious function, I've stopped drinking completely. I'm on a very restricted diet so every calorie to me needs to be serving a purpose, and while I wasn't a much of a drinker to begin with - it's out with the cookies and the chocolate.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a bit, but would never completely give up wine and IPA. I'd honestly rather JSF.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The phrase "give something up" implies hardship to me. It wasn't hard to give up drinking. I don't really like the taste. And 400 calories for two beers seemed like a waste of calories to me, when I'd much rather have a cupcake.

I typically ask the bartender to put my water and lime wedge in a fancy glass; people assume it's a gin and tonic, so no big deal. I don't feel I need alcohol to have a good night out with friends. Plus, not being hungover the next day makes it totally worth it.

If I do feel like I need some social lubrication, I'll set aside 200 calories for a beer, or I'll order whiskey neat. It's really hard for me to drink that quickly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I haven't given up drinking and don't plan to unless directed by my doctor to do so for medical reasons. Not drinking would completely alter my life.

I don't drink till I'm drunk and drinking doesn't cause me to eat junk food or binge eatt, but every gathering of friends or family involves alcohol. Dinner is usually with a glass or two of wine. Ball games wouldn't be the same without beer.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a bit, but would never completely give up wine and IPA. I'd honestly rather JSF.

This is we're friends.

• thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I only drink on the very rare occasion for a friend's birthday or a wedding or something. For me, I like to stay really lean. Around 15-16% BF year round. That does mean not drinking. Last year I went out a lot with friends. Didn't alter my usual diet or fitness regimen and in three months packed on 9 lbs! All due to drinking. Yeah, no thanks. All I am missing a hangover.