Weight fluctuations on your period

Options
Ugh. This may be too much information, but I supposedly gained 5 pounds (FIVE) in the last two days. I think the reason I supposedly gained the weight is because I just started my period...Do any other females here experience menstrual cycle weight fluctuations?

Replies

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yes, all ladies have these fluctuations. I just don't weigh during that time. It's pointless, and the bloat gain is completely normal. I block off about a week and a half to account for PMS bloat and period bloat together.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, every single time. Also during ovulation.

Sodium, extra carbs, exercise, etc. also all contribute to water retention.

The good news is that it's all a temporary weight gain. The bad news is that you have to deal with the fluctuations every month.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's perfectly normal. How much you gain from water and when varies from woman to woman. I've seen some people recommend that women only compare weights from month to month instead of week to week because of how our cycle affects our weight.

I always think that the best thing to do is track it so that you'll know how your cycle works with weight and make your peace with it as best you can when the scale goes up.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks! More ladies, "weigh in" lol I need your input...
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I only get on the scale during my period out of sick curiosity--just how much bloating is going on? Usually on the order of 7 to 9 lbs, all of which goes away again after. I just have to keep reminding myself that there are only about 2 weeks out of the month when I'm getting a weight that isn't impacted by menstrual fury.
  • ladystarr
    Options
    Usually I weigh myself every week on a certain day and log it, even on period weeks. I usually gain 3-6 pounds on those weeks, but when I weigh myself again the week after, "double the weight" comes off :P It's nice to see! I just try to drink a lot of water during that week and I still keep at the walking and exercises no matter the pain!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    From my tracking I seem to get a 1-3lb gain around the time of ovulation, but it goes back to normal in a week or so, and then I get quite a big drop during my period (2-3lbs this month), despite eating at maintenance for a couple of the worse days.

I weigh daily though, and my overall trend is slow and steady loss (see my crazy *kitten* graph) that averages out to about 1.2lbs a week despite the fluctuations, so I try not to worry about it!

lyew53yi9d9y.png
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just avoid weighing myself around that time of the month cause it fluctuates annoyingly!
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies!
  • cranberrytape
    cranberrytape Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it's totally normal. I weighed myself a few weeks ago and panicked because it was at 176. Then a few days later I started bleeding, and then a few days after that I was back down to 171.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Try using an app like Happy Scale to track daily weigh-ins. You'll learn to recognise when to expect fluctuations across the monthly cycle.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal, gain "period weight" and it goes off afterwards, nothing to worry about.
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I know the weight will go up, and I'm okay with it. This way, I'm keeping track, and I know what to expect.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes and it drives me bananas every time even though I know what is causing it. The good news is, it has a lot to do with water weight and as soon as I am close to being done with it, it starts to come right back off in no time. I would love to tell you not to let it get to you because you can't do much about it, but it gets to me as well.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes...I can fluctuate up to 7 pounds :)
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yep, right there with you. Gained 4 lbs. last weekend during my cycle. I think I'll skip the scale for the next week or so - :p
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yup. While I was losing I either gained a bit or was flat. I chart it in Excel so I know what's normal. The little green lines are TOM.zkvk20bcyqh9.png
  • nursiekins34
    nursiekins34 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yup and it makes me crazy. But it's just part of the whole thing...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    meggwtw wrote: »
    Ugh. This may be too much information, but I supposedly gained 5 pounds (FIVE) in the last two days. I think the reason I supposedly gained the weight is because I just started my period...Do any other females here experience menstrual cycle weight fluctuations?

It's almost certainly fluid.

If you get excited or upset about day to day fluctuations in weight, you're doing yourself a terrible disservice. Weight is not entirely a stable thing.

If you can use a spreadsheet program, make a chart and plot the daily weights on some sort of moving average. I like a ten period moving average, myself, but others work. This gives you a much MUCH more accurate idea of your weight trend and you can still catch it if your trend line start going up in plenty of time to keep it from being a problem.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, my weight fluctuates irratically in no known synch with anything. I use Trendweight and weigh every day.

If you know that your weight will get up every four weeks and then down again after your period, and you know it's not fat (assuming you're on a weight loss journey), what is the problem?