Do I have to wear my Polar FT7 watch while working out?

Options
I have a polar FT7 heart rate monitor (chest strap - watch combo) and am wondering how close the watch needs to be to the chest strap for the data to transmit. I do martial arts and am not allowed to wear anything on my fingers, wrists, etc. during my training sessions. If I wear my chest strap and leave the training watch in my locker during class, will it still accurately record my data?

Replies

• Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have already tried to find the answer to this question online, and have searched the forums for a similar post. Am having no luck, so I am really hoping someone will reply with an answer for me.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    No, it won't. I tried once just during kettlebell class with the watch right behind me and my chest strap on. It did not pick up..
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    What about wearing it on your belt
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't think the FT7 will work that far away. You need to be quite close to the strap for it to record with that type of HRM. There are polar HRMs that work over bluetooth that could possibly work that far (20-ish feet I believe). I've been meaning to experiment with this myself during martial arts since I have a bluetooth one.
  • cherilannhall
    cherilannhall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried putting mine beside my mat in yoga class once and it did not pick up.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    around your ankle maybe?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It needs to be on your body or very close. You could put it in a pocket, or perhaps put it on a necklace around your neck, or attach it to the chest strap itself. It has a little bit of range, ie, it goes from the chest strap to a machine at the gym, an faq I found states:
    How far away can the Polar HRM sensor be from the device and still be readable?
    Working distance is a function of many things but generally, anything within 5' or 10' will be readable. Putting it close to you while you workout would be iffy, plus invite it being forgotten, lost or stolen, so stash it somewhere on the front of your person.
    Mike
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Check out Zephyr heart rate monitors they make some bluetooth and long range ones. http://zephyranywhere.com/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No ... it will not work with the watch in a locker and it is inaccurate if you try calculating caloric burn from martial arts.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I own a FT7 and H7. The FT7 watch will have to stay close, on your body or right by your feet... The H7 (sensor and chest strap ony, no wrist watch) transmits with Bluetooth to a compatible smart phone, and it's mostly a line-of-sight thing. It won't pick up a signal locked up in the locker room, but it will work great if the phone is safely kept on bench/gym bag in the same room.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I tried putting mine on a table about 3 feet from where I was working out and it did not pick up consistently.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    Options
    Glad I found this message board! Saved me from buying something that wouldn't work they way I want it to. Thanks, everyone!