Bewitching Hour

Options
Between 3 & 5 everyday, I could just eat nonstop. Its my relaxing time before I start cooking dinner. I start work at 4am and walk 20-24,000 steps a day by then. I eat when Im tired. I know this for sure. If I nap I wont be able to get to sleep (I get up at 1:45am) If i have shopping to do after work I won't eat so much cause Im busy or If Im home, Ill brush my teeth to try not to eat.
What do you all do to stop yourelf from your bewitching hour? Cause I need advise!

Replies

• stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like to make myself some tea w/milk to hold me over.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am gonna try that! TY
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey for a while which relieved the temptation to just keep eating and eating and eating during my 'witching hour' which for me was right before bed. Now I put on my favourite show, and make something I know I really enjoy, usually a peanut butter sandwich. on white bread! sometimes a hot chocolate, sometimes a frozen smoothie - depends what I fancy and what I have calories left for. I have plenty of water with my snack too - it helps the food/drink feel a little more filling, and gives me something to 'mindlessly' grab for instead of food.

Hope these ideas help! It also may help to look for areas in your life you could reduce stress, as overeating while relaxing/'bored' is a sign of stress-eating.

• ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eat high protein meals, and snack on fruits and veggies. I stay away from processed carbs because they make me insatiably hungry and they tend to be high in calories. This is my personal opinion and what works for me, though - I know a lot of people don't mesh well with low carb diets.

What do you do where you do that much walking?! Very impressed. Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm like this from 9am - 12pm. It doesn't really matter when you eat, it just matters how much you are eating. That said, I like to be able to eat dinner so I just make sure I have good snacks on hand all the time (hard boiled eggs, popcorn, fruit).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Personally, since you'll be eating dinner soon, I'd try to find anything that is NOT food-related. Doesn't have to be exercise since you are so active during the day already, but something that you really look forward to and enjoy: read a book, watch a TV program, call a friend, etc.

I don't think just eating healthy snacks is necessarily the best thing to do as it reinforces the bad habit. Only snack if you are actually hungry.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am gonna take everyones advice. I have a good mind frame today because Im on vacation, lol. Monday will be the test! Thank you all!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods - maybe a small handful of almonds and a small apple. Both are filling- the apple has fiber and the almonds have fat and protein. They usually satisfy me. If I want something sweet late at night I try to drink a hot chocolate (low calorie) with a dollop of low fat cool whip.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I don't think just eating healthy snacks is necessarily the best thing to do as it reinforces the bad habit. Only snack if you are actually hungry.

I believe in this, too. Snacking is really just an habit, sometimes, even if it does not feel like it.

It seems counter intuitive, but maybe you could try not to snack at all sometimes? It may work for you, who knows. I know it did for me ! "Scheduled" snacks are a thing of the past.

• HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Try reading a book during your break time. Whenever I pick up a good book, the rest of the world just fades away.