Has anyone tried the Atkins diet?

Options
I've lost about 13 pounds so far just eating what I do and moving around at work, but I've been trying to lose on and off since January. I've been losing more now that I move around work more (since I ask my bosses to let me sort stuff and work on go-backs whenever it's slow).

The Atkins diet caught my eye, but I wanted to know if it really does have good results. Whether it be that I can lose 5 pounds or 15, it'd be pretty nice to lose since I've still got about 50 pounds to go.

Replies

• gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have seen good results from it (not personally but friends co-workers). I guess it just depends how healthy you want to be. I think the Paleo diet is more sustainable, healthy and can be adapted to a lifestyle change versus the Atkins plan. Will be curious to see what others say.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've found calorie counting and exercise to be a constant. Although I tried a diet similar to Atkins the ketogenic diet which focuses on fat and protein I couldn't make it stick. Not enough Carb for me. I can barely go days without a pasta dish. I've got about 34lbs of 15kgs starting from 28 left to go myself but it always seems to come back to how much you are eating and exercise for the rest of the health.
    Yes some foods don't equivalent the same amount of energy to your body so eating certain foods can cause faster weight loss. But for well-being whoever you are I find eating what you like is best if you know how to portion.
    I'm not a doctor, this is based on experience and what I've noticed on end all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yes and it was a really successful short-term programme HOWEVER it's just not sustainable for life and as soon as you stop - wham-bam you put on more weight and incredibly quickly.

the only way I can imagine my weight-loss sticking is by amending my general eating and learning the lessons of moderation in all things and moving more - I'm still losing though and haven't reached maintenance but I am hopeful this calorie defecit / logging / moving I've been doing for 5 months will work for every
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All diets are rubbish. They promote an unrealistic and undesirable way of living which doesnt last. The Atkins in particular is bad for you if you were to do it long term. Avoid at all costs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet caught my eye, but I wanted to know if it really does have good results. Whether it be that I can lose 5 pounds or 15, it'd be pretty nice to lose since I've still got about 50 pounds to go.

Yes, people lose weight and improve several health markers.

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    All diets are rubbish. They promote an unrealistic and undesirable way of living which doesnt last. The Atkins in particular is bad for you if you were to do it long term. Avoid at all costs.

Yup, this. I tried it and lost a ton of weight, but put it all back on when I couldn't take not having pasta anymore!! Plus, being in ketosis makes your breath smell really bad and makes you constipated. NICE.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Plus, being in ketosis makes your breath smell really bad and makes you constipated.

Excess protein can make you (and your breath) smell of ammonia, that's not the same as the faint fruity wiff of acetone some get early in ketosis.

Ketosis has nothing to do with constipation.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Following DANDR 2002 and very happy.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do a version of Atkins. I love it. I've lost over 40 pounds since March of this year. It takes some work to adjust it so that you can sustain it. I think it's more about what you are comfortable with. Try it!
  • starladustangel
    starladustangel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found that while it was initially successful, it was not sustainable and I gained back what I lost and then it didn't work a second time when I tried it. I do find that watching my carbs is important but I think Atkins was too restrictive. I'm having better success watching calories and keeping carbs under 100.00.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yes and it was a really successful short-term programme HOWEVER it's just not sustainable for life and as soon as you stop - wham-bam you put on more weight and incredibly quickly.
    because.....

• 1975patrick
    1975patrick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm still hesitant about it, so all your input will really help!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Depends on why it caught your eye. If you think eating in that style (cutting carbs) would be easier for you to do--more sustainable--than eating in other fashions and it comports with your taste preferences it might be worth trying and seeing if you feel good on it.

There are low carb groups here (not sure if any are specifically Atkins) which could give you ideas about how to construct a good low carb eating plan.

Some people find that they are less hungry when they cut carbs (I didn't find that lowering my carbs made any difference vs. just not eating carb heavy foods on their own), whereas others find that it makes them feel lethargic or they really miss their more varied diet. It's probably worth looking at the diaries of people who do it to see if it appeals.

One thing about low carb/Atkins is that you often lose more water right away (which can overstate the rate of loss) and when you go off it you regain the water, so people can think that they are gaining just by reintroducing carbs. I think it's a mistake to think that you will be able to lose more by doing low carb or that it's necessary to "kickstart" or some such, but it does have good results for many, IME. (Full disclosure: I don't do it, because I prefer eating about 30-40% carbs.)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    yes I've lost weight on atkins several times and quickly! problem was it wasn't sustainable for me and i always gained the weight back. I'm happy to know i don't need to give up my beloved bread to lose weight but just watch my calorie intake and i lose and keep off just as much.