Using calories gained by exercise

Options
Hi, lately I have been going to the gym and tracking my exercise on the app, I have not been using the calories that I have "earned" at the gym and on a normal day I always have around 200-300 calories spare so when I go to the gym I have around 500 spare for the day. Am i likely to gain weight this way as my calorie consumption is quite a bit lower than my target??

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No, you don't gain weight by eating too few calories. But eating an appropriate amount of calories per day is better for your health, and makes weight loss not feel like torture.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    It's recommended to eat at least 1200 a day, so any exercise is a bonus!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than you use as exercise, activity, sleeping...whatever means "weight" loss.

If your calorie consumption is very low you can lose "weight" faster. However, the weight in question will include a larger % of lean muscle than you want. If you want just fat loss....you need to eat more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to eat at least 1200 a day, so any exercise is a bonus!

1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default for women. It could be an appropriate goal (before exercise) or it could be too low.
  • charlotteg1993
    charlotteg1993 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did have similar thoughts its just everytime I exercise and track it on MFP and submit the diary at the end of the day I get a note underneath saying I have consumed an unhealthy amount of calories and should eat more but I dont want to use the calories I earned as I just feel it makes going to the gym pointless if im burning calories but gaining them back by eating more
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that this is a pretty frequently asked question around here. Because of that, there are several posts that try to explain why the site adds them to your goal. Personally, I like the one the best: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did have similar thoughts its just everytime I exercise and track it on MFP and submit the diary at the end of the day I get a note underneath saying I have consumed an unhealthy amount of calories and should eat more but I dont want to use the calories I earned as I just feel it makes going to the gym pointless if im burning calories but gaining them back by eating more

If you're using the calorie burns that MFP gives you, they're usually too high. You could change the burn number it gives you to half, it would probably be more accurate.

• charlotteg1993
    Options
    I think you'll find that this is a pretty frequently asked question around here. Because of that, there are several posts that try to explain why the site adds them to your goal. Personally, I like the one the best: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
    Thanks good explanation
  • charlotteg1993
    Options

If you're using the calorie burns that MFP gives you, they're usually too high. You could change the burn number it gives you to half, it would probably be more accurate.

Im not using MFP ones. Im putting my age and weight on the machines at the gym and using the calories they are giving me at the end of the workout which should be more accurate than MFP
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Im not using MFP ones. Im putting my age and weight on the machines at the gym and using the calories they are giving me at the end of the workout which should be more accurate than MFP

Depending on the machine, those are fairly notorious for being too high, as well. You might do some research on your gym's particular machines to find out more. In the end, it's all just estimates. The calorie goal, the amount you're eating, the amount you're burning, there are going to be slight inconsistencies everywhere. Pick a method, stick with it for a few weeks, and adjust as necessary if you don't see the results you want.

• redsoxmj
    Options
    When I don't workout my goal is set at 1310 and I eat that. When I do workout I burn between 500-1000 calories based on my HRM, and eat around 1500-1600. Just because my body is working so much harder on those days, I feel that I need to refuel more than just the minimum. On the days I workout, it does say I can eat 1800-2300 but I do keep it a little lower. If I just eat the 1310 on the days I work out, I feel super tired and sluggish all day. I'd say, eat what makes you feel good, if you have a headache, get sleepy or are just moving slow, eat more! It's what works for you.
  • charlotteg1993
    Options
    thanks both for advice.
    I have only had 663 calories today which I know is wayyyy too little but I dont know how to build it up. I know i have had little intake but I dont want to eat anymore because I personally feel like I have had enough calories,
    Im going to have a glass of low calorie wine but will still be under a 1000 cals.

its difficult as I have done weight watchers for years and according to their tracker and points system I would of hit my limit so its hard to come onto MFP and see I can have more calories than what I thought

Sorry for the posts im just confused and really want to see a decent loss on the scales tomorrow lol
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure you are weighing your food accurately to get a correct total. If you are still coming in below target add one or two small healthy snacks. A handful of cashews, a banana, hummus on rice cake are good examples. If you continue to eat very low calories you will be too tired to go to the gym at all. I usually aim to eat half my exercise calories (some days I eat them all if I feel very tired or hungry).
  • charlotteg1993
    Options
    Im very strict on weighing everything! I think i might need to start buying snacks. I am always tired which might be explained for now. I just didnt realize how little my intake can be until starting this. Defiantly need to change my attitude towards food and exercise.
    Thanks!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's easy to think of calories as something that needs to be restricted, but don't forget that your body uses food as fuel. You want to make sure you're giving yourself enough fuel to perform well and feel your best all day.
  • I_Will_End_You
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Im very strict on weighing everything! I think i might need to start buying snacks. I am always tired which might be explained for now. I just didnt realize how little my intake can be until starting this. Defiantly need to change my attitude towards food and exercise.
    Thanks!

Nuts, cheese, peanut butter, avacado....all nutrient dense, higher calorie snack foods. Or you could just go for a Snickers or something. (which is probably what I would do...)
  • charlotteg1993
    Options
    Haha I would but im allergic to peanuts so it would kill me off! I will have a crunchie or a twirl instead, perfect excuse to eat chocolate!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Haha I would but im allergic to peanuts so it would kill me off! I will have a crunchie or a twirl instead, perfect excuse to eat chocolate!!

I had a very low calorie day yesterday, so I ate a Poptart. Because I love Poptarts. Might as well take advantage of the situation!

• olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why does MFP keep the exercise calorie estimates so high?
  • charlotteg1993
    Options
    Not had poptarts in at least 7 years, defo going to have to get some for low calorie days!