lap-band frustrated.

Options
Ok I am week 3 from lapband.. I have not lost any weight in the last 4 days.. Im wondering what the heck is going on?? I cant already be on a plateau can I?? I am avg around 900-1300 calories per day and 120 grams protien per day but still no more weight falling off.. I do go for a fill monday so hopefully after that it will start coming off.. I also will be able to start working out... as of now the dr. has not released me to go back to the gym. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Patience. This takes time and effort.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey Brian,

I don't know anyone who has had the lap-band proceedure, so not familiar with how the results work. I am curious however, if it was your drs. recommendation that you eat so few calories. I would think you should be getting more. I'm a woman 5'5 and eat more than that to loose. Just curious :)
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Its called "BANDSTER HELL" Been through it! just keep on trucking, Im not sure why u are eating soo much protien...maybe its a different guideline for men and woman! did u get the clearance to excersize??? walk, walk , walk...U will get through it! i promise!!!! <3kat
  • Bgriff1974
    Bgriff1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 6'5 and my nutritionist said 120 protein so I do two protein shakes a day.. I can walk and I do but they have not cleared me to work out until after my fill on monday.
  • katya143
    Options
    U will get through this! we are here to help! right now focus on the healing and not the weightloss :)
    I am 6'5 and my nutritionist said 120 protein so I do two protein shakes a day.. I can walk and I do but they have not cleared me to work out until after my fill on monday.
  • craftykelly
    craftykelly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating WAY too little and your body is saying...What the hell are you doing to me?! I realize you may not be able to eat alot at one time - but eat lots of little meals. 900 calories? YIKES!
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you are in Bandster Hell! I have been at a plateau since the beginning of January and it is driving me batty! I have lost 65lbs with the band. Hang in there!!!! :)
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating WAY too little and your body is saying...What the hell are you doing to me?! I realize you may not be able to eat alot at one time - but eat lots of little meals. 900 calories? YIKES!

You should not eat lots of meals with the band. Only eat 3 meals per day and try not to snack much or it will hamper the weight loss. With amount of protein you are eating you will be fine eating 900 calories per day.

You will not lose weight really fast with the lap band like others due that have had the gastric bypass. You should expect to lose around 1 to 2 pounds per week if you follow the program correctly. I lose 3 to 4 pounds some weeks and others I just maintain my weight. Stick with it and dont give up. It is a life long change so dont expect it to happen overnight !
  • Bgriff1974
    Bgriff1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I am eating 3 meals per day.. Usually protein shake for breakfast.. (maybe a can of veinna sausage.. usually 1/2 can.. maybe small bowl of cherrios.

Lunch usually chicken salad, veinna sausage or some type of chicken breast

dinner chicken, turkey or something like that.. Protein shake

plus vitamins vitamins vitamins..

I guess I just lost so much weight during the presurgery diet. 30 pounds that I expected to loose more and more after surgery.. I lost more before than I have after.. I will keep going.. Cant wait to start working out next week.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I appreciate it.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Measurements were a key for me! Try taking them and see if you are losing inches!!
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    so much misinformation it drives me freaking nuts. talk to your doctor. don't listen to random people on this site unless you trust them and know them. having said that here's my two cents...lol. the people on here who endlessly spout the whole "starvation mode" theory...get off it. it doesn't work like you think it does. they had me on 600 calories for two months after my band and i lost tons of weight. you lose hair and stuff because your body is reallocating your calories but you most certainly can continue to lose weight while on a physician monitored very low-calorie regimen. for the person who said not to snack too much after the band you are wrong wrong wrong...you want to eat small meals and snacks to keep your appetite at bay. that's exactly what you want to do. the bandster hell is really just dealing with your hunger as you wait to start getting fills and feeling restriction. my dr. had me wait two months to get my first fill and yes, it was very tough. i am very glad they held me to it though, as i lost a ton of weight during this period. i walked a ton to burn calories. i did hit a plateau when i first went on solids but it didn't really last that long. also, a lapband recipient can most certainly lose weight as fast as a bypass recipient, it just depends on what you eat and how much exercise you get. in the end though, since you have committed to a dr. and a program, stick with it, and don't take advice from random people (like me) who think they know it all online...lol.
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    It's tough dude. I lost 60 and then stop - now I am trying again to loose..drop 5 more and now again hoovering. Take it one day at a time and stay strong.Once the dr ok's you then don't go crazy try to excercise in moderation and build up to a consistent regime. I tried to push right away and hurt myself in the process...Hope it gets better for you. Congrats on making the decision to help yourself!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about 4 days. That's not a plateau. I got banded in June 2008. And I sometimes go 4 months without losing any weight. And then I'll go 4 months when I lose a ton. Your body is just adjusting to your new eating habits.

I'll send you a friend invite. We have a great group of bandster friends here, including most of the people that have replied to you so far. They have been my inspiration to stay in the game.
  • katya143
    Options
    so much misinformation it drives me freaking nuts. talk to your doctor. don't listen to random people on this site unless you trust them and know them. having said that here's my two cents...lol. the people on here who endlessly spout the whole "starvation mode" theory...get off it. it doesn't work like you think it does. they had me on 600 calories for two months after my band and i lost tons of weight. you lose hair and stuff because your body is reallocating your calories but you most certainly can continue to lose weight while on a physician monitored very low-calorie regimen. for the person who said not to snack too much after the band you are wrong wrong wrong...you want to eat small meals and snacks to keep your appetite at bay. that's exactly what you want to do. the bandster hell is really just dealing with your hunger as you wait to start getting fills and feeling restriction. my dr. had me wait two months to get my first fill and yes, it was very tough. i am very glad they held me to it though, as i lost a ton of weight during this period. i walked a ton to burn calories. i did hit a plateau when i first went on solids but it didn't really last that long. also, a lapband recipient can most certainly lose weight as fast as a bypass recipient, it just depends on what you eat and how much exercise you get. in the end though, since you have committed to a dr. and a program, stick with it, and don't take advice from random people (like me) who think they know it all online...lol.

I agree with jason! U will lose weight, but honestly listen to what your doc has to say....I was told no snacking in the beginning and then further out they told me that i should be snacking on yogurt and "qaulity" foods !??!?!?!? and this is coming from the surgeon...MAKE UP YOUR MIND DUDE! Anyways, we are here for u.... and its true that your body is adjusting to all these changes...
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    I was scheduled for the lap-band on 04/15/11. I cancelled my appointment and decided to give it one more go on my own. (I was paying the 10 grand out of pocket)

My dr told me that after surgery when I went back to solid foods to only eat meat and veggies and some harder fruits. He told me that I would only be eating 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food a day. That would be WAYYYY under your 900 calories.

He told me to stay away from liquid calories (soup, diet shakes, etc) and to stay away from "soft" foods (yogurt, cottage cheese, banannas, etc) as they will just slide right through the band and not give you that full feeling at all. He said to eat food that you have to chew a long time (chicken, firm fish, broccoli, etc) and that would sit in the pouch above the band and make you feel full for a very long time. He also said that processed meats would pass through too easily too. (Hot dogs, ground beef, etc.) And to stay away from breads. They have a tendancy to swell up and come back up. I was also told not to drink when I eat because that will help to push the food through the band faster and that is not what you want.

He said that I would only be eating 2 to 3 meals a day and only about 1/2 cup at each meal.

Good Luck!
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    maybe if i was completely filled i could see eating the cup or half cup meals i hear talk of, but i can still consume fairly good portions if i choose to. kind of wish i couldn't, but then i really haven't had my band filled up very far...
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Same here. I had it done almost a year ago and only lost 45 lbs and gained back 10! I know its my fauly cause i ate empty calories and had lots of candy since i couldnt eat a lot! Horrible thats y i log in here gives me a boost and reminds me not to give in. Ppl think its an easy way out but its not!!! Its harder because i only had to loose 70 lbs compared to many ppl who have to loose more. Anyway i have gotten two fills but still not a lot of restriction! Keep trucking
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    only two fills in a year. wow. i think i have had like 6 of them but all really, really small. if i eat too fast, eat certain types of bread, or dry stringy meats i get the sensation of having something get stuck but under normal circumstances i really can't tell if i feel any restriction or not...
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I am eating 3 meals per day.. Usually protein shake for breakfast.. (maybe a can of veinna sausage.. usually 1/2 can.. maybe small bowl of cherrios.

Lunch usually chicken salad, veinna sausage or some type of chicken breast

dinner chicken, turkey or something like that.. Protein shake

plus vitamins vitamins vitamins..

I guess I just lost so much weight during the presurgery diet. 30 pounds that I expected to loose more and more after surgery.. I lost more before than I have after.. I will keep going.. Cant wait to start working out next week.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I appreciate it.

I highly suggest you go to www.livingafterwls.com - there's a great forum for people who have had gastric bypass and lapband. You'll probably get the best answers there because they've all been through it.