Who has had to completely give up alcohol for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• dmbkss03
    dmbkss03 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I will give up my wine and beer when someone pries it out of my cold, dead hands.

THIS^^^ lol
    I have a few glasses of wine a few nights a week, and make sure to fit it into my calories, I also make sure I get good cardio in on those days.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dmbkss03 wrote: »
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I will give up my wine and beer when someone pries it out of my cold, dead hands.

THIS^^^ lol
    I have a few glasses of wine a few nights a week, and make sure to fit it into my calories, I also make sure I get good cardio in on those days.

I like you.

I work out for wine and peanut butter.

• t_middle
    t_middle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one, I am a big wine drinker and I know the sugar and carbs is my down fall however I just limit myself because lets be honest I am never going to stop drinking
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A doughnut has about 300 cals. I'd rather use that for a few nice glasses of Pinot Noir.

Ha ha, I LOVE doughnuts. I would rather eat the doughnut! To each their own :)

• KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this one so I planned a little experiment for myself. I've been a weekend warrior on the party front pretty much since I graduated college four years ago. 2 weeks ago decided to go cold turkey on beer for one month to see how it affects my weight loss progress. It's not the calories consumed during drinking that bother me so much as the completely lethargic and binge prone state I am in the day after. Anything greasy becomes almost irresistible to me haha.

Socially my big test is Friday evening at a birthday bbq for a college buddy. I'm sure there will be temptation and a little peer pressure but the goal is to prove to myself I can still have fun at such an event while sober and then workout first thing Saturday morning.

Pending the results of this experiment, I plan to add some partying back in but find an acceptable limit...probably reduce to once a month.

Good Luck!

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    KKishaA wrote: »
    A doughnut has about 300 cals. I'd rather use that for a few nice glasses of Pinot Noir.

Ha ha, I LOVE doughnuts. I would rather eat the doughnut! To each their own :)

And right there is what IIFYM is all about and why it works so well for people. Choose what you like and go for it. No one has to give up their favorite things.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I haven't HAD to quit drinking, but I simply prefer not to take in those calories in place of food. I do recall a time where going without alcohol may have seemed difficult, but I guess times have just changed.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    With me it's not so much the booze but my appetite after drinking. I eat like a rooting hog!
    I just decided that drinking does not line up with my health and fitness goals, so I totally gave it up.
    AND SO SHOULD EVERYBODY...well, not really.
    It's a personal choice, and to each his own... :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of beer or wine with dinner several nights a week. Did not affect my weight loss results. Not sure about its affect on muscle gain though so hope I'm not messing myself up with that now. Just be mindful of the calorie load.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I could never give up wine :P everything else is out except on very rare occasions
  • missycoughlin
    Options
    I used to drink ALL.OF.THE.TIME. I started doing Atkins way back when and would cheat with vodka/soda but honestly I no longer drink for the buzz. Now I drink wine and IPA because I like the taste and if I get a little tipsy because I had one too many so be it. When I had to switch to vodka/soda I realized it wasn't worth it. I don't even LIKE vodka/soda so wth. I have restarted Atkins a million times over, and usually do a good job giving up alcohol for the Induction period ( 2 weeks) and then add it back in ( I am into Bourbon now!). I don;t count calories, just net carbs, so it works - but yeah it definitely slows me down, but not completely.

I do need to stop drinking as much as I do as I feel it impacts my life in negative ways. I am going to work on only allowing drinking on weekends ( it's a lot harder to drink 8 bourbons than it is to drink 8 beers!) and then hopefully one I am closer to target weight, older, wiser and more on the wagon it will be periodic and I won't lok forward to weekends just so I can have that glass of pappy van winkle
  • Adubmarie87
    Adubmarie87 Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am a social drinker. I only ever really drink on special occasions and events, u sually with food. For me, alcohol is sort of a hobby. I took wine classes and chemistry for wines and liquors. So I drink occasionally. :p
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice. I am day #8 of a 2 week no alcohol challenge. I can feel benefits - not so sluggish, better rest, more energy for working out, etc. I am hoping that by then end of 2 weeks that I will see benefits - like on the scale. I was drinking far to much and it was affecting me and others negatively. I am happy that I made myself quit - knowing that I still can. Now I want to make it a lifestyle change. Perhaps not cutting it out entirely but definately reducing. I do recognize though, that others may be in a different place, have different opinions and not have to give it up entirely. So I don't think you have to give it up entirely for weight loss but I do think it's worth a good look at as it fits into your own lifestyle and goals.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given it up. I can't do anything in moderation, so if I have a drink, I'll have 20 of 'em and then I'll have to buy a pack of smokes (because who can drink without smoking) and then I'll have to go get White Castle at 4:00AM and get one of everything on the menu because you need variety!!!!.... So you see where this is going.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What??? Give up alcohol you say???
    No way in H. E. double hockey sticks would I give up my beer or vodka!!! :D I just make sure it fits into my calories for the day. (Insert emoticon lifting a beer glass HERE....since I can't FIND the old emoticons anymore..... :# )

Edited to add: If you give up alcohol and don't plan on giving it up for the REST OF YOUR LIFE....you're setting yourself up for failure. Once you get to your goal weight and you start drinking again, you'll just start packing on the lbs again.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have had any alcohol since July. It wasn't a big deal to me because in the past I've gone long periods of time without drinking. But I have fitness goals I am trying to reach and alcohol doesn't fit into those plans. Hasn't change my social behavior at all. I still go out to Happy Hour, get togethers and parties. It's more about the company to me. I just order a sparkling water with a splash of cran. The holidays are coming up so I'm not against celebrating on NYE, etc., but at this point I'm really not missing it.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Some people can drink and lose weight. But I cannot. Yes, you can fit it into your calorie limit. But once I start imbibing, it all goes out the window. So I've decided not to drink at all, because I don't have the ability to restrain myself once I start.

This ^ happens to me too.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Nope. Dropped 25 lbs and maintaining there without giving it up a beer (or two) with dinner.
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't! :) I know it can hinder progress, but you shouldn't deprive yourself completely. Have a few drinks every now and again, I think its fine to spoil yourself like that every now and again, so long as youre not drinking every day! :)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It depends on your level of self control. Personally, I can't be drinking and achieve any sustained weight loss. I can maintain my weight but I cannot lose.

I go on brief periods where I do not drink at all for 2-3 weeks at a time. This slows my progress down but if I want to lost it is what ~I~ have to do.

There's people in this thread that say you shouldn't have to give it up, and there are people in this thread who will tell you you absolutely should.

I say, figure out what ~you~ need to do to be successful... and do that.