Reached goal, fell off the wagon, and gained some back.

I must try, fail, and try again.

My story: I was in tip top shape when I reached my goal; super fit and athletically competitive. But I changed jobs which took a lot of time away. And I hated the job, which caused even more stress. I switched jobs multiple times and lost focus. Eating became compulsory and remorseful. Exercises became sparse. I don't want to say that I was depressed, but I was pretty damn down about my situation.

So, after fixing that situation, I'm back on MFP to work on healthier eating, and I need to stop having so many "cheat meals" (and I'm fooling myself if I'm having six cheat meals out of one week). Exercises are back on track, although not as competition oriented as I wish I could be. I want to run marathons and compete in martial arts. Goals are there, but my progress is slow to start. Eventually, I'll be in full force when my plans of actions are clearer and measurable.

HOW DID YOU DEAL WITH IT? IF YOU FELL OFF THE WAGON, WHAT HELPED YOU GET BACK ON TRACK?

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    How did I "deal" with the stress of life and with regaining 20 lbs that took me over half a year to lose? I didn't "deal" with it. I got depressed. I was disappointed with myself.

It's been almost two months since I stopped gaining. I'm still stalled. However, I'm stalled. I'm maintaining. And that, in itself, is such a big relief that I think I'm ready to start pushing to lose again.

The biggest advice is to just try not to stress about it. Life happens, and gets in the way of the things we think are important... It sounds like you're out of the storm, so now is the time to begin building up steam again. Don't jump all in again, that's setting yourself up for failure. You say that your progress is slow to start, which is absolutely perfect.

Eat a little bit less. Exercise a little bit more. Next week, eat a little bit less, and exercise a little bit more. It's okay if you go over every now and then, and it's okay if you pass on a day or two of exercising. Fall down as many times as you need to. Just make sure that you always get back up. You've only truly failed your goals when you stop trying to meet them.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Hello! I have a similar story and would like to hear peoples responses as well! In November of 2011, I weighed my highest at 260 pounds. I started to lose and in early 2013, I was only 4 pounds away from my goal weight (was 149 and goal is 145). Ever since then, I've slowly been gaining and am now at 221.4 (weighed myself for the first time in a long time yesterday morning). I had some health complications (one being a cycst on my ovary that recently got removed). Anyways, yesterday was a difficult day seeing that number on the scale. I know I can do it, as I've done it before, but I'm just so disappointed in myself and am depressed. Ive been exercising for a few weeks now, just haven't been paying too much attention to my calorie intake. Just started logging again yesterday. So that's my story. Hope to read some success stories!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    I got massively sidetracked after my dad died and regained every last pound that I'd lost in the previous 18 months. All 38 of them.

I got back on track by doing a 30-day challenge to myself. I swore to skip added sugar and reduce my carbs for 30 days. I stuck to it, got a big jump start (lost 19 lbs.) Now, that may not be the challenge for you, but I felt like having a set time frame in which to commit to a thing really helped me get focused again. So maybe a 30-day exercise challenge, or really any challenge that gives you a set amount of time to commit to a good habit. Beyond the jump start, it has helped me get back to healthful eating. Now it's more habitual to me to skip cookies and candy and sugar. It makes it easier to say no to multiple cheat meals.

Next step--I need to challenge myself to get back into exercising.

Good luck!
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    I fell off the wagon, but have caught it before too much damage was done... have gained about 5 pounds, but considering it took 6 months to lose 20, and began the summer with the goal to lose another 5, not so good. Didn't really stop working out, just stopped logging, and started overeating. But it feels like it's back to square one. But, as another post said, I just have to keep getting back up.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    When I'm struggling, I remember my why. Why am I working so hard at this. The answer for me is my wife and son. I was heading towards severe health problems, and leading my family down the same road. I decided that I needed to set the right example. That is why I have stayed the course.

When you're struggling, think of what reaching your goal will do for you and those around you. What will you be able to do then that you cannot do now (and want to do)? The answer to these questions should be what is your main driving force.

Allan
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2014
    dbl post
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Same story here. I didnt quite reach my goal weight but got under 200 lbs for the first time since my early 20's. I got too comfortable, and today I weigh 235 :(. I'd say to myself, "you can eat that, youre looking good, and feel great!" I will lose what I gained because I know how to do it and I've done it before. Next time I get there I'm going to keep exercising, it has to be part of my life and not just the means to weight loss.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    As others stated, stopped logging for a while and gained back about 3-5lbs. So I caught it on time before too much damage. Some may say, that;s not much at all, but considering that I only needed to loose about 18lbs these 5 are a struggle.
    I got to comfortable and stopped logging, but kept exercising. So, I guess I wasn't too far off my maintenance level.
    I was just amazed that even it was just 5lbs, how fast the inches came back. Gained 1-1.5 inches on the waist and 1.5 inches in the hip. They really crept in fast. Didn't noticed it in the clothes but with the tape measure.

Well, I guess I got to get back measureing and weighing everything and preparing food for lunch(work) again. Got a little complaicent on that as well, since I traded the time for some more sleep (I work nights).

To all who responded here; stay motivated and admitting of the complaicency is the first step in the right direction again. Me, it is defenitly a wake up, but also good to know that I am not the only one it happened to.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I was playing basketball after not playing for a long time. I was on a fast break just me, the ball, and the basket and I fell down. My body couldn't move the way my mind thought it could. Enough was enough as I never in my life weighed that much. Couldn't bear the thought of hitting 200 when I left college barely over 155. Always knew what I had to do, just didn't have the push. Refocused. Lost 15 and hit a wall. Knew I needed to be back on MFP to see what I was eating. Working so far.
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    suppakana wrote: »
    How did I "deal" with the stress of life and with regaining 20 lbs that took me over half a year to lose? I didn't "deal" with it. I got depressed. I was disappointed with myself.

It's been almost two months since I stopped gaining. I'm still stalled. However, I'm stalled. I'm maintaining. And that, in itself, is such a big relief that I think I'm ready to start pushing to lose again.

The biggest advice is to just try not to stress about it. Life happens, and gets in the way of the things we think are important... It sounds like you're out of the storm, so now is the time to begin building up steam again. Don't jump all in again, that's setting yourself up for failure. You say that your progress is slow to start, which is absolutely perfect.

Eat a little bit less. Exercise a little bit more. Next week, eat a little bit less, and exercise a little bit more. It's okay if you go over every now and then, and it's okay if you pass on a day or two of exercising. Fall down as many times as you need to. Just make sure that you always get back up. You've only truly failed your goals when you stop trying to meet them.

This was the damn kindest, nicest thing I've heard. Oh, the feels. I might read this every day.

• PhilipMSPT
    PhilipMSPT Posts: 11 Member
    There's a common thread to everyone here.

There is disappointment. And anger with ourselves. And then there is depression, which in itself is a great burden and obstacle beyond our weight challenges. And we don't need to head in that direction. We cannot look at these fluctuations in weight as a "bad thing."

It's normal. We're only human. We are allowed to fail.

But we should NOT allow ourselves to quit.

The best thing we can do is continue monitoring our goals, give ourselves a good reason why those goals exist (to be healthier, to look good, to feel great), and to encourage ourselves in any possible way when things aren't as rosy as we want them to be. And that's o.k. Because it isn't failure; it's just a challenge that we're going to conquer another day.

• fatninja111
    fatninja111 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2014
    Great post....especially for me today. I've lost about 50 pounds since December 2013. I have been cleared to stop taking my Diabetes medicine. Great news. However, I haven't lost anything since May, before that I was losing about 5-7 pounds a month. I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. My problem is that I let myself get a little too comfortable with over eating of high calorie items (chips and donuts specifically) and now I have to break that habit again. My goal weight is about 10 pounds away but some days feels just as far as when I started. I am still logging and exercising though and when the days come that I just say "f#/! it, I give up!" It seems like the following day I want to get back to it. I am slowly beginning to realize that truly there is no finish line, that this has to be a complete change and a new way of living.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    fatninja, I want to thank you for your post, and thanks also to PhilipMSPT. I'm in exactly your situation. I've lost 85 pounds since April 2013, but stopped this last April and now toss that 4-5 pounds back and forth.
    Still staying pretty much within the guidelines, and have no intention of giving up. I really have made a lifestyle change, so there's no "cheating" or "giving up".
    For me, I just keep on sloggin' along. :)