How correct is the MFP calories burned estimater?

Options
Did 20 minutes of Turbo Fire and 15 on the treadmill this morning half walking and half running. MFP says I burned around 273 calories. How correct do you think this is?

Replies

• afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight and fitness level. Generally apps are overestimating your burn.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise and eat all my calories back and I'm still losing on track. It makes it so easy for me to just log everything and stop eating when I hit 0 cals left lol.

Saying that, I did manually reduce my calories by 100 a day when I started, just so I don't have to log items under 10-15 calories, and to also provide a buffer in case of exercise/logging inaccuracies. When I exercise I do 20-45 mins so I doubt it'd be more than 50 cals off.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Spot on for me according to my hrm that I quit using.
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight and fitness level. Generally apps are overestimating your burn.

This. At my height and weight, the MFP app greatly overestimates my calories burned. I use a HRM.

• imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When using machines, I record what the machine says I've burned. MFP is usually WAY higher, sometimes by 200-300 calories. I always record the lower number just to be safe. However, if I'm doing something not on a machine (walking, pilates, etc) I record what MFP says, just because I have nothing else to compare it to.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound completely unreasonable if you're a larger person.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things. Speed on the treadmill, intensity of turbo fire, height, weight, etc. I would count 35 minutes of cardio like to be about 200ish calories.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    My HRM and MFP aren't very far apart. 50 cals maybe. The machines at the gym and MFP are wayyyy off though.