Tell me about Salt/Sodium

Options
JulieF11
JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
Salt isn't like sugar, right? Isn't salt just a temporary gain?

If I always ate the same amount of salt, each day, then wouldn't my body get used to it and let the excess water be released? My salt intake is too much each day and so I am wondering...

Does salt make any long term effects on weight loss, or just temporary water gain that can be flushed out in a matter of a few days?

Your experience, knowledge, and/or expertise is appreciated.

Replies

• barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Even though the water gain with too much sodium is temporary, the effects of long term salt use can be bad. High blood pressure leads to artery deterioration, headaches, and heart issues. Salt is addictive and your body can become dependent on it.

Salt is bad!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Having too much salt in your diet isn't a good thing. It can lead to high blood pressure and reak havoc on your cardiovascular system, among other things, and can cause you to retain water, which isn't healthy either.. If your salt is constantly up, you'll constantly be retaining water, so it won't be a "temporary" gain. I've had family members who have had to take water pills because their bodies were not able to process and flush the sodium from their diets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt#Health_effects
  • MzChiz
    MzChiz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Even though the water gain with too much sodium is temporary, the effects of long term salt use can be bad. High blood pressure leads to artery deterioration, headaches, and heart issues. Salt is addictive and your body can become dependent on it.

Salt is bad!

I concur
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I put salt and pepper on most of my food, a couple of turns of the mills. I don't add it on MFP. I'm steadily losing weight and until I hit problems I will still use it. I have no idea about why I shouldn't! :p
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Salt is bad!

yup!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    according to my lesson guide for nutrition (college lesson) a person should not intake more then 2300 a day of sodium unless u have health issues which then a doc would discuss with u !
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    according to my lesson guide for nutrition (college lesson) a person should not intake more then 2300 a day of sodium unless u have health issues which then a doc would discuss with u !

I thought that I heard some recent news that it should only be 1500 mg per day??? Not sure where that came from though.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    if you speak to any nutritionist they want to see how much salt you consume for the afforementioned reasons

too much salt causes problems for your system and can lead to artery blockages, and poor liver function I believe, it affects other organs and so it is better to select lower quantities - my nutritionist has advised to look for foods with less than 240mg/100grammes as a base guide - I suffer from pre-diabetes symtoms, high blood sugars and high cholestorol - my bloodworks indicated a fatty liver which means I need to stop and change which I have done
    I am obese, fat, overweight, unhealthy, and at risk...no more! I am thriving from the changes I have made and am so glad I am going where I am going. Now I'm no expert however if you are confused then see a nutritionist or your doctor and get some clear guidance for you, whilst we all thrive as a community we cannot make the right choices for you. Only a professional trained person can truly guide you
    I just know its not a good thing to have lots of
    hope this helps and no offence intended if it upsets anyone
    :smile:
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sodium Is like sugar in the sense that It is used as "filler" in most "low fat" for "fat free" dietetic foods, so even if you are making seemingly healthier choices with your foods, you will be getting as much or possibly more sodium than is healthy for you. The U.S. R.D.A says that 2500 mg's or 2.5 grams is an acceptable amount to consume each day, while most americans actually consume more like 3500mgs a day! For me personally (sodium affects my blood pressure and I have been able to avoid meds by controlling my diet) either of those numbers is way to high for a dailey intake. I keep mine to between 500 and 1000mgs, and occasionally splurge on the wknds since it is impossible to eat low/no sodium in restarants. Another way sodium is like sugar is that it "douses the fires of your metabolic furnace" so to speak. The more you gunk it up with chemicals, salts and sugars, the less efficiently it will burn fat. Clean eating is a challenge but the way to go for optimum results! Start paying attention to sodium content in EVERYTHING, even sweet things and you will be stunned! Also, Salt makes you crave sweets, which in turn cause you to crave salt, creating a viscious cycle of cravings that will get you no where fast! If you cut way down on Salt (and simple sugars) you will see your cravings disappear. You will eat when you get hungry, and stop eating when you are satisfied- not stuffed. If you have a high sodium intake everyday, you don't really give the body a chance to shed all the water weight. Try a low sodium diet for one week, and see what a difference it makes! Keep up the good work with a lot of water and B6 or a good B complex vitamin will really help with shedding the bloat as well! :flowerforyou:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. In the process of cutting my calories, I've been tracking my food choices on MFP and found that my sodium is consistently too high. Yesterday it spiked at over 4500... I eat too many pickles, rice crackers, frozen weight loss meals, and canned veggies. I really was hoping to make this easier on myself, but I think I'm learning, nothing easy is healthy. Boo hoo, pity party for me. Okay, now that's over, on to results!