net carbs?

Options
If my total carbs today are 30 and my dietary fibre is 11 does that make my net carbs 19?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • JasmineSoper
    JasmineSoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Why are you watching net carbs?
  • JasmineSoper
    Options
    I'm doing keto. I was concerned I may have gone over my carb allowance
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I thought keto was total carbs, not net.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Carb guidelines are just that - a guideline. Even at 30g of carbs, it's hard to call that anything other than a ketogenic diet, and particularly when 11g of that is fiber... for good or ill, there's no doubt that's a keto diet.

In any event, OP, it's fine to just track net carbs if keto is your goal.
  • JasmineSoper
    Options
    Thanks parkscs. I believe you replied to a post I made the other day, thanks for your support :smile:
  • earlnabby
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Carb guidelines are just that - a guideline. Even at 30g of carbs, it's hard to call that anything other than a ketogenic diet, and particularly when 11g of that is fiber... for good or ill, there's no doubt that's a keto diet.

In any event, OP, it's fine to just track net carbs if keto is your goal.

Thanks for the explanation. I have only a passing knowledge of the keto diet.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is really any diet where you are in ketosis most of the time, which is a pretty squishy definition. Active individuals can get by on quite a bit over 20g of carbs and still following a diet that's considered to be ketogenic. Either way, I just wouldn't overthink it. 30g, even with 0g fiber, is very low.
  • AZ8683
    AZ8683 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto for about a month now and despite not being super obsessive with that 20g count ( I'm actually more like 30g or 40g most days) I've been steadily losing. Of course, YMMV but they do say in general 50g or less is the goal so don't sweat it.