Group Ride vs Spin Class HRM comparison

Options
I take Group Ride classes at my local YMCA. It is pretty intense, and some of the instructors say it is better than spin classes. They even call the easiest track the "spin track".

I've worn a heart rate monitor for about 10 classes now and I am burning about 875 calories in 52 minutes. The high was 906, the low was 851, but usually it was right at 875.

Has anyone wore a heart rate monitor for a Spin Class?

Replies

• debants
    debants Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between the two - they are both done in groups
  • harmony223
    harmony223 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I burn about 400-500 in spin class dependig on the instructor. That is in an about 45 minute class.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I take Group Ride classes at my local YMCA. It is pretty intense, and some of the instructors say it is better than spin classes. They even call the easiest track the "spin track".

I've worn a heart rate monitor for about 10 classes now and I am burning about 875 calories in 52 minutes. The high was 906, the low was 851, but usually it was right at 875.

It's kind of pointless to compare someone else's results seeing as how calories burned are dependant on weight and intensity.
    HRMs also require further data such as age and sex to calculate and estimate. To compare your results with someone else, they would have to be approximately your size, age, sex, weight and work at a similar intensity (which would be hard to figure on it's own since fitness levels and individual factors can affect HR).
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this class you speak of is, but spinning can be as intense or light as you want it to be in my experience. You have control over your own fate with gear and cadence. I would be surprised if this class of yours is more intense than a typical spinning class. Most spinning classes I have attended are much, much more intense than a typical outdoor ride because they always encourage you to crank the gear for a hill.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wear a HR monitor for spin class and burn consistently around 940 calories for a 60 minute class, and 1062 for a 75 minute class. I don't even really push myself that hard... I would say I'm usually at a 5 on a scale of 1-10.

What is group cycle?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It's kind of pointless to compare someone else's results seeing as how calories burned are dependant on weight and intensity.
    HRMs also require further data such as age and sex to calculate and estimate. To compare your results with someone else, they would have to be approximately your size, age, sex, weight and work at a similar intensity (which would be hard to figure on it's own since fitness levels and individual factors can affect HR).

This, plus it's not like every spin class is the same exact class, either.

Plus the OP doesn't even seem to be considering taking a son class so I don't get the point of the question. Unless the point was to demonstrate that the Y instructors are sorta toolbags
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Being both a spin and Group Ride instructor, I tend to like Group Ride better. That program is made for an intense workout and you know what you are walking into. Spin you never know, every instructor is different and every ride is different. Group Ride can be as hard as you want.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I prefer Group Ride but we only have one instructor :( It is harder than most spin classes though we have a performance/ RPM spin class which is our hardest class. Do you teach other Mossa classes sbenner17? My favourite is Group Blast. Loving Oct14 :)