biking burns how many calories??

Options
im 207 pound female and im 5'2" and it says for 2 hours of biking (i do one hour morning one hour evening) it says i burn about 1000 calories. is that at least somewhat accurate. i know its NOT spot on. what do you think?

Replies

• Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am around 113lbs ish and 5ft, cycling for 2 hours (moderate) for me burns approx 600 cals but obviously depends how much effort i put in. I use the Endomondo free app on my phone, i think it is quite accurate.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What says you burned that many calories - the bike or MFP or something else?

It depends on your intensity. I'm 5'7" and about 180 atm - according to the figures I get from my Polar FT4 HRM (not 100% accurate but close). I usually get around 8 cal per minute for moderate cycling and that would be 960 if I did 2 hours.

Does your bike display RPMs or some other indication of intensity? I'd probably google to find a few different calorie calculators online that allow you to evaluate based on speed or RPMs - like the one below:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/calories-burned-biking.htm
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Biking burns a LOT of calories. I used to take spinning classes when I was about your weight (I'm 5'3") and I wore a heart rate monitor that tracked calories. Spinning is more rigorous than regular biking (no coasting) and it said I burned about 600 in one hour. So 1000 in two hours is probably close. If you want a more accurate measure, get a heart rate monitor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 132 pounds and 2 hours of biking for me burns 350 calories on a good day per my HRM (which is actually exactly the numbers that my bike gives me too) - and it's pretty intense for me.... You really need a HRM to know exactly.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't coast when doing regular biking. I coast when I'm out biking with my wife. I use Strava on my smartphone. I'm 6'1" and at that time weighed in about 230.

29.9mi
    Distance

2:02:38
    i Moving Time

71ft
    Elevation

154W
    i Estimated Avg Power

1,136kJ
    i Energy Output

Speed

Avg
    14.7mi/h

Max
    26.6mi/h

iElapsed Time
    2:05:00

These are the numbers from a ride I did in Ohio this summer. I use a 20 year old steel framed Trek 820 Mountain bike. I have not entered my equipment into Strava.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me - but it really depends on how fast you ride and what the terrain is like. I typically burn between 400-500 calories an hour going 10-12MPH, but if I am going slower it is significantly less. I use a Polar F4 - 5'2" 170 pounds
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    At 6' 223lb male, I burn just about 1000 calories per hour according to my HRM. I ride a mountain bike at 14-15 mph.