anti-depressants and weight-gain

Options
I am not on an anti-depressent currently....but have been suffering from PPD for a while and really am trying to avoid the drugs. My ups and downs though are getting harder and harder to deal with. I am also afraid of the weight-gain a lot of these drugs can cause.

Is there anyone out there that knows of an anti-depressent that does not have weight gain as a side-effect?

Replies

• pittielover23
    Options
    I think there is one (wellbutrin maybe?) but it is really important to find the one that WORKS for you, as they all wont. I know that the weight gain side effect is scary, but letting yourself slip deeper into depression is much scarier.

I was on prozac for over a year (recently tapered off) and it was one of the best things I have done for myself. I did not gain that much weight on it at all (and I was not actively trying to lose at the time).
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent nor do I suffer from those systems, however, I just wanted to say that you are a beautiful woman and you should keep your head up. The fact that you are acknoledging this issue publicly and not suffering in silence is very refreshing. Keep a smile on your face and take it day to day and best of luck in finding something that works for you :)
  • bridetobe310711
    Options
    I AM ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS DONT THINK I HAVE GAINED..... WHICH ARE U TAKING?
    X
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Fluoxetine - I've been losing weight consistently even though I've been taking it for several months now. I have a feeling it's because my tendency to indulge in emotional eating is lessened considerably!

But talk to your doctor. That's always the best move when looking into any medication, obviously. =)
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression since i was 20,on and off anti's since.tried most all of them.none made me gain except effexor it just made it harder to loose
  • tak123
    tak123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm taking celexa, and it's worked really well, and I didn't really have any side effects. Didn't notice weight gain either. Definitely talk to your doctor about your options. Anti-depressants are like birth control, they effect everyone differently. Good luck. :)
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you, trying to wait out the PPD for a long time. Things got really out of control and I finally asked for help when my daughter was 5 months old and I am SO happy that I did. I am on Wellbutrin, have been for almost a year now, and it has really helped me a lot. It has not caused any weight gain or problems losing weight, in fact it helps my compulsive behaviors which include compulsive eating. You deserve to be happy, don't be afraid to ask for help. Medication doesn't mean you are weak or a bad parent/person/woman, it means that you are doing what is best for you and ultimately your family.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am on zoloft for ppd and I have not gained. I actually lost 10 lbs when I first started. My sister in law, however, gained about 20 lbs when she started welbutrin. I think it depends on the drug and your body. DO NOT let the fear of weight gain stop you from getting the help that you need for ppd though, that is worse for you than a little weight gain would be. The weight will come back off.
  • HotrodMoma
    Options
    wellbutrin is known for curbing cravings, they used to use it to help people quit smoking. I am on it and didn't gain weight from it. At first i even lost a few pounds. Everyone is differant though and while it may work for me, it might not for you. Please talk to your doctor :)
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Just steer clear of Celexa. I gained 60 lbs without changing my eating or exercise habits.

Let your doctor know that you're worried about weight gain. They can prescribe you an antidepressant that doesn't have that as a side effect but also works for you.

Don't worry about taking medication. Often, people only have to take antidepressants until they're out of the dark. Even if you do take them forever, it's just a little boost, like taking asthma medication. You'd be surprised at how much better one little pill can make your life.
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am not on an anti-depressent currently....but have been suffering from PPD for a while and really am trying to avoid the drugs. My ups and downs though are getting harder and harder to deal with. I am also afraid of the weight-gain a lot of these drugs can cause.

Is there anyone out there that knows of an anti-depressent that does not have weight gain as a side-effect?

The MOST important thing is your well-being. A lot of the time, if emotional issues are addressed, weight loss becomes easier. I started taking wellbutrin a couple of months ago and I feel much better. I am losing weight and it does not seem at all like the anti-depressant is holding me back. It's in a different class from the ones that commonly cause weight gain. Please, talk to your doctor and see what they say. The benefits will probably far outweigh the con's.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I went on Prozac I lost weight because I didn't "feel the need" To turn to food. As my Dr said, it was just replacing the chemicals that were out of balance.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agee with welbutrim. I was on zoloft and didn't gain, but it killed my sex drive. So I switched to welbutrim...and it didn't work. So, they put me on a mix of them....it's only been about a week, so we'll see.

But I know that welbutrim is not for people with eating disorders becuase it makes you less hungry.

Good luck!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am on prozac, and I dont have much of an appetite
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Each person is different. I've been on them since 1994 and it has not affected my weight. I also don't get the scary side effects and I work closely with my doctors in regards to medication and dosage. :)

Stay away from the heavy duty stuff and you'll be fine (lithium, Prozac, etc. are considered heavy drugs). Time release formulas are best.

Remember, it's a piece of the larger pie of self care. Eating right, sleeping well, and exercise along with the meds all makes a complete picture. If you're just taking the drugs without all the rest you might have weight gain.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You really should discuss it with your doctor. Express your concerns about weight gain. But only he/she will know what kind of depression you have and what might work best. Then it's all trial and error finding a medication that works for you. What works for someone else might not work for you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro, then Celexa for about 2.5 years. I gained a little when I first started, but that was more a result of a change in lifestyle (losing my job) and lots of depressing circumstances (losing both parents).

I have more energy on medication. And more energy means I can exercise more. And more exercise makes me feel better, too. :smile:
  • fredscookie
    Options
    I have been takin wellbutrin well over 2 yrs I have not gained weight from it at all. my weight gain came from me stop smoking ughh!! but also another anti depressent is Topamax and it is used for weight lose as well. But I have tried and I did not like it but everyone is effected differently on medications. the best thing for you to do is talk to your doctor and he will give good advice to you ask him about Wellbutrin and/or Topamax.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I was on anti depressants for 12 years, thats how I gained the weight I have lost now, and I have been off of them for almost five years. This is what eating healthy is so important to me. I do not want to go back on meds. I have cut out caffiene, and sweeteners, and watch the added sugars close, take a multivitamin and flax oil capsule. I think it's so important to first try and manage these issues through diet and working out, (Workout out is extremely important for me to maintain not meds) before going to medication, I do support meds when they are needed, but theres a lot more that could be manage through diet and exercise.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm on Citralpram the generic for Clemex for anxiety/panic attacks. I haven't gained a pound. I put off trying them for 2 1/2 years afraid of the same thing. I thought I could beat it on my own. Now I wish I had tried them a couple of years ago, I feel like I have my life back now. :-)