Semi-Fit Husband, Turned Fat Dad, On the way to Become Shredded Dad

Options
Hello Everyone, Thanks for stopping by to read my post!

As I stated in the Title, I have a beautiful daughter that will be turning two, 10 days from today!

A bit of history on me:
  • Grew up naturally athletic (unfortunately, not academically gifted lol)
  • Played every damn sport that I could on a competitive level: Tennis, Basketball, Soccer, Golf, Track, Chess (apparently my HS considered this a 'sport' lol), etc
  • Greatest Athletic Achievements: NJ State Champs Varsity Tennis, 3rd Dan Black Belt (14 years of training at Kukkiwon Certified Dojo) Taekwondo, NJ State Chess Tournament 3rd Place, NCAA D3 Tennis Captain, NCAA Division Tournament 2nd Place, and although this is not my personal achievement - Coached and mentored 3 children (1 boy, 2 girls) in tennis to make their HS Varsity team
  • After graduating with my bachelors, started working and met my wife on a return flight from a business trip (it's a really great story)
  • Got married and 2 years later, found out that we are going to be parents!

I put on some extra pounds my Senior year of College and when I started working after graduation. Okay fine...... it was a LOT! The freshman 15 was never existent for me but the senior 35 was! The reason being, I tore my right ACL during a Tennis PRACTICE match the beginning of my Senior year. I went from super active to laying in bed with my right leg straight, TV remote to my right, take-out Chinese to my left....... needless to say, fat was in excess. Over the course of 8 months or so (surgery + rehab + laziness) I went from 190 to 225. They say muscle is heavier than fat..... well.... I lost a lot of muscle and still gained 35 lbs.

When I graduated and started working, I fell in love with pizza, buffets, fast food, take-out anything really...... this lead to gaining an additional 10 lbs with no time (at least in my lazy mind) to workout, nor did I really want to.

So, why did my beautiful wife marry me? lol
I'm not sure...... but I am one lucky SOB

When we found out that we were becoming parents, I read an article online that said children naturally respect fit parents over fat parents. I didn't follow up on what was stated on this article with backup research, but it still had a huge impact on me. I started hitting the gym for the first time, in a long time (5+ years).

Right before my daughter was born, I got down to 192 (8 months of gym 6x a week and hard dieting). WOOHOO! Then, my precious daughter came into the world........

Screw the gym, screw dieting....... I just want to spend time at home with my family. Guess what happened? Yeap..... back to 215 in about 2 years. Freaking 23 lbs! Ugh......

Recently, I found myself with time being a bit more flexible than it was previously as I started my own company.... I'm in staffing - hit me up if you need recruiting services! :smile:

AND

No more excuses! This time around, I'm not losing weight/getting fit just for my family, but for myself as well.

MY GOALS:
Target Weight: Don't have one, and don't need one
Target Body Fat %: Around 13~15%
Other: Finally show my wife a six pack so when our washing machine breaks, I'll just lay in the bathtub and she can scrub the clothes on my washboard LOL ...... I'm just kiddingggg.... maybe.... OK FINE!.... I'm not..... :wink:
Other Other: Everlasting energy when hanging out with my precious daughter

I just recently found this website and found it to be inspiring as well as effective in keeping track of my macro's.

Anyway, wanted to share my story....... if you read it from start to finish, thank you for listening/reading and I hope you have a great day filled with lots of activity!

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Love your profile pic <3

Welcome to MFP. Read as much as you can, lift heavy things, and enjoy the journey.
  • edwardkim2000
    edwardkim2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :smiley:
    I'm pumped to hit the gym tomorrow and shred my back
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    woohoo! you go! If you need any active friends, feel free to add me.
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ahh you sound like my husband!
    He was super atheltic in high school, had abs and all, but he had an accident while running track and was in the hospital for a month, and from their he couldn't work out; plus my unhealthy behind was feeding him crap, lol
    now we have 2 kids, our oldest turned 2 last friday and our youngest was born last friday
    and he is on a mission to get his abs back and get bigger
    would love to be friends with you!
  • edwardkim2000
    Options
    @Chanti1620, Everything is possible through hard effort! Having a supportive family definitely helps a ton!
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Like your story! Just found this website recently and find it great. The friends I have made here really encourage me to do my best. Both my husband and I are on this weightloss journey together although neither of us is terribly overweight. As I am in my 40s with 2 very fit and active kids want to be active with them so understand you wanting to get fit mow you have a lovely daughter. Having been so fit once will help you as you know what it takes. Good luck!
  • edwardkim2000
    Options
    @fobs13 thank you so much for the note! yes, i really find this site interesting and hopefully i can stick with it long term! :smile:
  • joe_hikeny
    joe_hikeny Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm on a super fun journey to becoming the amazing father my kid sees me as. My Son will be 2 in December. He's awesome and deserves a father who can take him running, hiking and spend countless hours running around the yard.
    60 days ago exactly i decided i was sick of being overweight. Luckily for me i wasn't at my worst. I gained way too much sympathy weight with my wife's pregnancy. but even i couldn't eat enough junk to maintain my 185 peak. Thank goodness, i leveled off around 176. (Which was still way to fat)

Well it's been 60 days and i'm down 13.4 lbs. I started at 66in / 173lbs now i'm 159.6lbs.
    my initial goal was 150 Lean Muscle. But i've never had the six pack and good muscle definition i want now. I was just 150-155 and not gross when i was younger. But even now at 159 i feel like i need to lose more than 9 pounds to get the results i really want. I'm think i need to be closer to 145.

Joe

• edwardkim2000
    Options
    Joe, Thanks for the note. Kids are the best motivation, aren't they? Lol

Actually a close second would be the get the girls back in college but having a kid seems like more of an organic driving factor...

Congrats on your progress thus far and lets keep each other in check going forward!
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh out loud at your post! I would love to be friends with you!

...and I just HAVE to hear the story how you met your wife! :heart_eyes: