Weighing EVERYTHING

Options
From reading some other threads, it seems people (geniusgamer being the latest) get beat up on here for not weighing EVERYTHING. In his post, geniusgamer said he eats prepacked frozen meals and logs his calories based on the nutrition info on the package. Some posters suggested that his lack of weight loss was due to not weighing the meals because there could be more food than listed. Even though he said he was only eating 1000 cals a day as a 230lb male! Even if all his meals are under-labeled by 20%, he would still be only consuming 1,200 if he was truly logging everything he ate. So really I doubt the problem is because he did not weigh his prepackaged meals.

I think most people can get a pretty good estimate of their calories without weighing and logging down to the gram. I think the reality is, no matter how meticulous you are with weighing, we can't get the exact calories for things unless we are lab testing everything we eat. So maybe we are off by 100-200 cals by not weighing, sometimes it may be over but sometimes it may be under. Does that mean the weight won't come off? Most people being beat up on the forum for not weighing everything is eating much more than a 200 deficient. Posters seem to accept that exercise calories are estimates so why can't a little error in calories also be accepted?

Just because you don't log all your food to the gram does not mean your logs are garbage.
Personally, while I do weigh things like fish, meat, and very calorie dense things, I eyeball or trust nutritional information for other things such as spring mix and pre-sliced bread. Things like spring mix and spinach, I just don't think matter enough to weigh as it has so little calories- I'll do an estimate of 2 cups for lunch. Even though posters on here say that the nutritional info on labels might not be right (ex: 1 slice of bread might not be the 50 grams listed), I think on average it should still be pretty accurate. And if it is really that inaccurate how can you even trust the calorie count per weight? For a container of yogurt that I eat by myself and has 4 servings, I eyeball 1/4th each time and log as 1 serving so sure sometimes I may be eating more than 1 serving but sometimes I am eating less and so on average my calorie should be correct without having to weigh and log exactly how much I'm eating each time. Makes life much simpler.

And sure, I can weigh an apple every time I eat one and log it down to the gram, but how do I know it has the exact calorie content as the MFP apple listing even if they are the same weight? I'm sure different varieties of apples have slightly different water/ sugar content/ calories. I'm perfectly happy weighing food items a few times to know what a "small" 6 oz apple looks like vs a "large" 9 oz apple but then after that I eyeball and then log just 1 small apple rather than weighing and logging 6.5 oz.

Yes I do agree weighing calorie dense things is a good idea so if I'm eating peanut butter or if I'm cutting a piece off a block of cheese I will weigh it. But if I am having a fun size twix bar, are you really telling me I can't just log that as one 80 cal fun size twix and I need to get out my scale and weigh it??? Should I be measuring cans of soda to make sure they really have the volume stated on the can?

If you want to be super accurate in your serving sizes by weighing EVERYTHING then great but I doubt it is necessary for most people, especially people who have large deficits for their calorie goals. I think it is much more important to log EVERYTHING you eat (if I don't log my pre sliced piece of bread I will be 80 cals off/ if I don't weigh it, I may be what, 10 cals off?)

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can well imagine that this thread is going to blow up...

Even though I am a scientist and analytical by nature, I do not weigh my food. To me it just isn't that exact of a science and doesn't require that precision or accuracy. I watch my portion sizes and keep them reasonable and that's good enough for me. And I'm still losing weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh sliced bread, packaged food with barcode nutritional info where I eat the whole pack and fruit or homemade mixed salad

I do weigh everything else

Whatever works
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    I read that too and it confused me. If you can't trust something as simple as the weight that it says on the packet, why trust the other information?

So nope, I don't weigh every single thing but go by what it says on the wrapper, and log everything. If that means I eat more one day, by this logic it would also mean that I eat less another day, so it evens itselfs out.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You should weigh/measure if your going to post and inquire as to why your are not losing weight.......................What answers do you think people will give you?
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well if I was a poster saying I was not losing weight when I am eating prepackaged foods totaling 1,000 cals a day when I am 230lbs and people are saying are saying it is bc I am not weighing my prepackaged food then I would think they are crazy. I would expect answers to be like either the person asking is not telling the truth about what they are eating, not logging everything they eat, and/or have a medical condition.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not diligent about my food weighing for everything I eat. like bread or buns for sandwiches. 2 slices of bread might be 70 grams instead of 60 but I'm not making a 1 slice sandwich or only taking 60 grams of bread. I don't weigh out pre-packed foods either (unless it's a giant pack of something like a 400g chocolate bar or has multiple servings). The other stuff I weigh balances out the stuff I don't weigh. Because I don't weigh everything and have spent a couple years on these fora, there's not way in hell I would ever ask for help if I'm not losing weight since the first thing asked is "do you weigh and measure everything" and if you answer "no", then it gets harped on for the rest of the thread.

Some people don't have that balance and that's a problem.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    There's no way I would weigh a microwave dinner.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh food when it's easier to portion things out that way. Things like ice cream or even cheerios, for example, are a pain in the butt to portion out volumetrically, so it's easier for me to use a scale and try to match the mass given as a portion size.

I don't expect extreme precision, just to get reasonably close to the portion size described on the label.

But, like you, I don't usually weigh an apple or pre-portioned foods like sliced bread or single-serving packages. It's not like I'm going to cut off a little nubbin off of a string cheese stick so I can have an exact weight to match the nutrition label.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    People who want to be super accurate in food weights don't usually go by ounces (like with you apples, for example) They go by grams.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If not weighing is working for you, and you're losing at a rate you want, that's fine. If you're not losing, weighing food is a good place to start.
  • LazyFoodie
    Options
    zyxst- I've only been reading the forums for a few days and yes I totally agree, I would not ask for help since the answers just seem to be are you weighing everything... :/

I don't think anything is wrong with trying to be precise and if someone likes to be accurate and weigh to the gram everything then go for it but to say other people cannot ensure that they lose weight unless they are that precise is just a little ridiculous to me.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh things like sliced bread or packages of single servings, because I figure any discretionary calories get evened out over time as I eat the package of whatever it is. I haven't had any problems losing weight, so clearly it's worked for me. Everything else that does NOT come in uniform, countable pieces gets weighed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am a weigher...95% of food goes on the scale...

I weigh bread, eggs, crackers etc. Prepackaged items.

Why? because I have found that they don't always weigh what the package says. And I don't cut a piece off I log it at the weight it is...

Now if I find a brand that is consistent I don't weigh it for example Mr Christie toppables..they have been consistent so I don't weight them anymore.

I weighed my yogurt in containers, then weighed the empty container...consistent. So I don't weigh them.

But I do weigh by grams, fruit, ice cream, cereal, meat, french fries, chips, peanut butter.

As well if you are asking why you aren't losing...the reasons are typically

Not logging accurately which has a bunch of stuff involved...

not weighing, not logging everything, over estimating burns etc.

But if you are losing and haven't stalled and don't weigh...don't those of us who do weigh don't care really...it's those who complain but refuse to take advice that cause the gripes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1186508-weighing-food-vs-measuring-wow?
  • LazyFoodie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SezxyStef- I understand telling someone to weigh their food if they seem like they might be estimating too much (if I was going for a 200 cal deficit and just eyeballed my steak to be a "small" steak then yea it'd be a problem). But some people take it to such an extreme, like what happened with geniusgamer. His problem could NOT have been because he did not weigh his food. But a lot of the advice is always just weigh the food.

I have been calculating calories the same way every time I count calories and every time I lose weight at a rate that I'm happen with. If for some reason I stop losing and I am still going for the same deficient, I know that it will not be because of the way I calculate my calories. So I really hope the advice would not just be to weigh more of what I'm eating because that would drive me crazy.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    SezxyStef- I understand telling someone to weigh their food if they seem like they might be estimating too much (if I was going for a 200 cal deficit and just eyeballed my steak to be a "small" steak then yea it'd be a problem). But some people take it to such an extreme, like what happened with geniusgamer. His problem could NOT have been because he did not weigh his food. But a lot of the advice is always just weigh the food.

I have been calculating calories the same way every time I count calories and every time I lose weight at a rate that I'm happen with. If for some reason I stop losing and I am still going for the same deficient, I know that it will not be because of the way I calculate my calories. So I really hope the advise would not just be to weigh more of what I'm eating because that would drive me crazy.

@nancy274 that case is well...an interesting one...because let me ask you this...do you really think that man is eating 1000 calories a day and not losing????

no....but he has no logs to show what he is eating (here anyway)

Yes some did take it to the limit of weighing but that is because that poster insisted he was totally accurate...when in fact chances are he was a troll anyway...hence why I didn't jump to hard...trying not to feed the troll.

• LazyFoodie
    Options
    I don't believe he is eating 1,000, though maybe there is a small change it could be true? Are there thyroid or other medical conditions that could cause that? I'm not a doctor. But regardless, I don't think his problem is he did not weigh his food since he kept saying he was eating prepackaged meals. People were telling him to weigh his prepackaged meals to solve his problem... He is either 1) completely lying then nothing will help 2) eating additional items that he is not logging in which case weighing his prepackaged meal is the least of his worries. I felt bad for him because he kept saying he does not think he needs to weigh because he was eating frozen prepackaged meals but was still getting the same weigh it advice because the nutrition label might be wrong. Assuming he is not a troll, I'm not sure how weighing a frozen dinner with help that man.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I don't believe he is eating 1,000, though maybe there is a small change it could be true? Are there thyroid or other medical conditions that could cause that? I'm not a doctor. But regardless, I don't think his problem is he did not weigh his food since he kept saying he was eating prepackaged meals. People were telling him to weigh his prepackaged meals to solve his problem... He is either 1) completely lying then nothing will help 2) eating additional items that he is not logging in which case weighing his prepackaged meal is the least of his worries. I felt bad for him because he kept saying he does not think he needs to weigh because he was eating frozen prepackaged meals but was still getting the same weigh it advice because the nutrition label might be wrong. Assuming he is not a troll, I'm not sure how weighing a frozen dinner with help that man.

@nancy274 truth of the mater is that food lables can be as much as 20% off.

for example a slice of bread is suppose to weigh 30grams..could be anywhere from 25-35grams...that's why and since he was insisting that was the "logical answer" where there was no logic.

Yes there are medical issues that make it harder to lose weight but even those issues eating so little food the weigh would literally fall off a man...and he couldn't run 2-3miles a day...

My son is about that size....he was sick here 2 days ago and passed out from lack of food...heck I have almost fainted when I ate 1200 one day...(my norm at that time was 1800)

• LazyFoodie
    Options
    I understand labels can be off but averages also mean that you will be pretty close in the end. As for the 1000 cals guy, even with 20% off, he would only be eating 1,200 cals so that was my point that telling him his problem is not weighing his package meals is extreme and not good advice.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I understand labels can be off but averages also mean that you will be pretty close in the end. As for the 1000 cals guy, even with 20% off, he would only be eating 1,200 cals so that was my point that telling him his problem is not weighing his package meals is extreme and not good advice.

Agreed it's the go to advice and came from many sources. Lots don't read previous posters advice...

But I agree...if he wasn't a troll..not good advice...go see a doctor would have been.