High fibre, low-cal suggestions?

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
My target is 1290 calories per day. I have no issues so far coming in on target. I feel full, I do pretty well on nutrients and vitamins, etc. But I'm consistently coming in way below my target of 25g of dietary fibre per day.

I can see how this would be easier on a 2000-calorie or higher diet. But on 1290 calories, I'm just not managing to eat enough fibre without going way over on calories and especially on carbs. Even after adding more veggies and fruits, most days I get about 10-15g.

Suggestions?

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A cup of raspberries will get you 8g fiber in only 60 calories. Black beans are another decent bet, with like 15 g for just a little over 200 calories. They are also very filling.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    any particular reason you are targeting dietary fiber?

Considering dietary fiber IS a carb, going over on carbs isn't going the change by eating more fiber. What it really says is that you are probably eating too many sugars and refined carbs versus complex carbs and veggies. The easy way to add more fiber is to trade breads, pastas, and sweets for vegetables - especially green leafy veggies like lettuce, spinach, celery, etc.

However - and back to my original thought - if there isn't a specific reason you are targeting 25g fiber, I'd probably be wondering why you are concerned about it.
  • jennylew1212
    jennylew1212 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat a half of an avocado a few days during the week. It's usually about 5 grams of fiber and 125 calories. Of course it depends on the size of the avocado.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    any particular reason you are targeting dietary fiber?

Considering dietary fiber IS a carb, going over on carbs isn't going the change by eating more fiber. What it really says is that you are probably eating too many sugars and refined carbs versus complex carbs and veggies. The easy way to add more fiber is to trade breads, pastas, and sweets for vegetables - especially green leafy veggies like lettuce, spinach, celery, etc.

However - and back to my original thought - if there isn't a specific reason you are targeting 25g fiber, I'd probably be wondering why you are concerned about it.

Bowel issues I might guess. Probably tmi but i find it hard to shift if I don't reach around 25g a day.
  • segacs
    Options
    No specific reason, really. It's more that I'm pretty hyper-aware of getting enough nutrients in general since my diet is a bit limited. And I've noticed in logging what I eat that fibre is the one nutrient that stands out as being consistently below target.

I mean, I could get to 1290 calories easily by eating nothing but junk food. But that wouldn't be good for me in the long run. I'm trying to create some meal plans that are healthy enough and fit well enough into my lifestyle that I can eat like this long term.

Brightsideofpink, raspberries are a great suggestion, thanks! -- I can't wait 'til they're back in season next summer! Black beans are something I probably should eat more often but rarely do.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, beans, raspberries, pear, apple, PRUNES
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't a digestion issue or anything like that. Just looking for good suggestions on how to make the carbs I consume healthier and less empty.

@lalawaterlala, my grandfather loved prunes. We all thought he was just idiosyncratic. I guess he knew something before science did.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options

The brownie bar taste good. This cereal is high in fiber but doesn't taste the best, add a little Splenda. But the honey fiber one cereal it's a little lower in fiber but taste good.

q9ur098bivd5.jpg
    5vglvgcjv328.jpg
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Fiber One products. I also like snacking on garbanzo beans (chickpeas), and green peas, edamame is good too.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Fiber one cereal, mixed up in yoplait yogurt is a nice tasting breakfast. Beans can also help with meeting your fiber goals, so I'd give those a try as well, maybe beans on toast for lunch?

• forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and fiber bars.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Fiber One bars (any flavor, but lemon is my favorite).

I also take Fiber Gummies. 2 gummies = 4g fiber, 15 calories

Also, check out Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortillas - 5g protein, 9g fiber, 90 calories. I've made wraps using them a regular part of my diet.

These three things make up the vast majority of my fiber intake.
  • segacs
    Options
    Tortillas with 9g of fibre per serving? Where do I find such a wonderful-sounding product? I love wraps for lunch, but I usually just use whatever pita bread I find at the supermarket. I need to sleuth out whether I can buy these here -- sounds like such an easy substitution!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    http://www.olemexicanfoods.com/high-fiberlow-carb-8-wraps/

I eat these regularly. They aren't bad but you almost have to toast them. They are kind of gummy if you don't toast them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars 19 g of fiber, 20 g of protein
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I discovered this week that a decent sized apple-pear packs a walloping 10 grams of fiber. I had 273 grams worth (check the database for specifics).

Getting enough fiber is a huge deal for me as I have a dietary challenge and cannot eat anything with gluten. It's always pretty exciting to find an easy way to get it through food.

Edited to add: only 114 calories. :)