Hypnosis and weight loss

Options
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have tried hypnosis to help with weight loss and what your experience was?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine tried it for emotional eating, the practitioner seemed more interested in giving her generic weight loss advice (he was obese !) so that wasn't a success. There are audio books and the like with titles like "virtual gastric band" if you fancied trying a bit of self hypnosis.
  • kootarama
    kootarama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been listening to a weightloss hypnosis 30 day challenge tape every night for almost 3 weeks and have found it amazing. I'm not sure if it is the hypnosis working or my brain tricking me that it is but I have had a significant reduction in appetite and less interest in foods that usually appeal to me. So far have lost 2.4 kg just doing this alone. The weird thing is that after I listen for the first few minutes or so I always drift off to sleep (the tape is 30 minutes long) so not really sure exactly what he says but it seems to be working.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know a couple people who did it, loved it, raved about it at the time. There's no loss to be seen now.... Both are same size as before or larger.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My friend tried it back in the 90's. She said it worked for her. She said her hypnotist told her to imagine the grossest thing she could think of when she wanted to eat whatever she was trying to avoid. For her it was worms.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    no such thing as "hypnosis" anyone who pushes it as a cure for anything is a scam artist.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have not done hypnosis for anything, but it seems to me hypnosis to lose weight borders on demonizing food. An example:
    ....She said her hypnotist told her to imagine the grossest thing she could think of when she wanted to eat whatever she was trying to avoid. For her it was worms.

Why would you want to imagine certain foods that way? Why not just plan your food day and practice moderation? Why make any type of food good or bad?

It takes some patience and willpower to put moderation into practice, and to stick to it, but it can be done.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    no such thing as "hypnosis" anyone who pushes it as a cure for anything is a scam artist.
    I had some neurological issues which nobody could treat since my childhood. Was seen by numerous doctors, but no one could help. Finally I got treated by a hypnotist when I was 14 years old and she healed me in about ten sessions. She was a medical doctor and she definitely knew what she was doing....

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My friend tried it back in the 90's. She said it worked for her. She said her hypnotist told her to imagine the grossest thing she could think of when she wanted to eat whatever she was trying to avoid. For her it was worms.

That's a great way to develop a messed up relationship with food.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Yep

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of clinical evidence to support hypnosis as a powerful and effective tool. Without it I would never have been able to quit smoking (over 18 years ago). So, thanks for the reminder to apply what I know works, to my current health improvement plan. I'm starting tonight. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    There is plenty of clinical evidence to support hypnosis as a powerful and effective tool. Without it I would never have been able to quit smoking (over 18 years ago). So, thanks for the reminder to apply what I know works, to my current health improvement plan. I'm starting tonight. :D

But, there's a difference between changing your (you/your generally, not specific to any one person) mindset when it comes to your relationship with food and imagining foods you want to avoid have worms. If hypnosis helps you change your relationship and encourages moderation, then great. It's just not necessary to demonize food.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis is pseudoscience.

Next thing people will be pushing is phrenology to lose that stubborn "skull chub".

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you believe it's working, then it is.

I wouldn't pay a dime for it. I'd advise friends to believe in something cheaper! But whatever works for you. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis is a good tool for some people. Hypnosis can teach you to relax, to focus on goals, and so on. You still have to do the work.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a few downloaded on my phone. Free apps and the like. It doesn't demonize food; at least not the good ones. It tells your subconscious to make better food choices and to use visualization to picture what your body will look like when you hit your goal weight. I think it's helpful if you use it a few times a week, It helps you to stay on track. It will not CURE anything but I think it makes it easy to stick to goal. Afterall, weight loss is a mental thing.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a few downloaded on my phone. Free apps and the like. It doesn't demonize food; at least not the good ones. It tells your subconscious to make better food choices and to use visualization to picture what your body will look like when you hit your goal weight. I think it's helpful if you use it a few times a week, It helps you to stay on track. It will not CURE anything but I think it makes it easy to stick to goal. Afterall, weight loss is a mental thing.

I have tried visualizing things happening in the future. I get anxious so it helps me relax to picture it going well. I think there is more to hypnosis than "hocus pocus". I have tried it for relaxation and it did make me very relaxed. There were some suggestions to be more at ease in crowds that didn't work as well. I didn't try it for weight loss.

(just quoting you because you mentioned visualization)
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Hypnosis is a good tool for some people. Hypnosis can teach you to relax, to focus on goals, and so on. You still have to do the work.

^This. Obviously, some will no believe in it and that's fine. It's their opinion and you're bound to get their opinion on a public forum.

• 0somuchbetter0
    Options

That's not what I would call hypnosis. Sounds more like mindfulness and/or CBT.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know a couple people who did it, loved it, raved about it at the time. There's no loss to be seen now.... Both are same size as before or larger.
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    I have a friend who tried hypnosis and is now even fatter than before and still making excuses. Just beware.
    No matter what, it's going to take work, discipline and sacrifice.
    Maybe hypnosis has helped some, but my experience is that those offering what looks like a short cut will lighten your wallet - not your waistline.
    I'd ask for verifiable references.