Business Trips

Options
I will be traveling 4 of the next 5 weeks - basically, I'll be home for 1 week before Thanksgiving. I travel a lot for work, but have always struggled with eating on the road. Breakfast is usually a small bowl of oatmeal, yogurt, and coffee, lunch is usually catered by the customer (sandwiches, pizza, Italian, Mexican, etc.) and dinner is the few remaining calories I have left for the day (usually a small chicken breast and veggies). Airport days are a bit harder because all I have is grab and go stuff - sandwiches, chips, fast food, etc. I end up drinking a lot of Starbucks iced tea (unsweetened). I have the traveling thing down, but I'm really getting into a rut and want to know if there are other options out there.

Are there others who travel frequently for business? What do you do when your customer provides unhealthy food options? What if you go out for dinner with them too, do you just splurge? How about airports, how can you pass up the pretzel and/or ice cream places? Do you just stick with what you know and deal with the rut?

I'm currently doing a challenge where I have to lose a few pounds by the end of the month and I'll be on the road for that - I usually don't lose while on the road, I maintain. Any advice for continuing the loss while on the road?

Replies

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Water, Water, and then get some Water. I usually end up gaining when I travel as well. Most of it is water weight, so I've been trying to remain hydrated the entire time. As with catered lunches, that is all I've eaten in the past month at work. It's easy on the wallet, but can be a bit of a challenge. However, as long as I remain focused, I've been very successful at maintaining my calorie goals. One of the things I would do, during the past month is excuse myself and go walk for a half hour. Not only was I able to burn off a few calories, I was able to have some peace and quite and recharge mentally.

It's not easy, but nothing worth doing right, ever is.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,688 Member
    Options
    When I am travelling I try to get a hotel with the a gym, and keep up with cardio workouts in the mornings. It's so convenient to pad into the gym from your room.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I travel sporadically with my job and actually find at times I eat better traveling then when I'm home. I try to pre-plan as much as I can for meals by myself. During the meals when I dine with others, I try to be careful of my choices and the portion. Granted this isn't always the case but I try to do the best I can. I know some people pick restaurants that might be a little more costly since they can expense their meals, but I mainly pick restaurants where I can easily count the calories that fit my goals. My go-to is Panera Bread because I can get variety of meal options depending on how my calories are looking for the day.

I always pack my workout clothes and either take a walk outside or hit the hotel fitness center when I can.

If I'm unsure of breakfast offerings, I pack my own oatmeal packets. I also pack healthy snacks.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I just try to manage portions and go for the protein and leafy greens. If I'm dining with clients, I will just do the best that I can with the menu. I do give myself a little leeway with the dinners out but, for this reason, when I'm in the airport on "my time" I will scour the place for the best options to fit into my macros. Ice cream and pretzels are just a no go - I simply don't let myself have it.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I just try to manage portions and go for the protein and leafy greens. If I'm dining with clients, I will just do the best that I can with the menu. I do give myself a little leeway with the dinners out but, for this reason, when I'm in the airport on "my time" I will scour the place for the best options to fit into my macros. Ice cream and pretzels are just a no go - I simply don't let myself have it.

I also travel frequently on business and it can definitely be a challenge. In addition to the great advice above, I also choose where I take my clients for dinner so I try to pick the places that have the best looking menus (i.e. diverse) so that I can make good choices. I have been pretty successful in not missing workouts while on the road, as well.

• natmcbride
    natmcbride Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a recruiter so hitting up career fairs and being on the road often makes it hard to maintain fitness goals and good eating habits.

Yesterday I was at a college career fair which took me about a two hour drive to get to. Preplanning was my savior! I packed fruit, prepackaged nuts (the 100 calorie packs) and some light string cheese for the drive. Since lunch was provided I had to eat what they gave me and I was still able to modify by skipping the breads, sauces and foods that were calories laden. For example instead of a loaded turkey hoagie with pasta salad, potato salad and cookies that they spread out buffet style I modified and ate a turkey-lettuce wrap and had a side salad with vinaigrette. I skipped the pastries that were offered and ate a Trader Joe's 100 calories chocolate bar that I packed with me.

When dinning out with clients/colleagues I try to look up the restaurant nutrition info and pick my meal out before I even get to the restaurant. If you can't find the menu information on their website or Myfitnesspal you can still try to modify when you get there (hold the sauces and butters, skip anything fried, and ask if they have any lighter options). I have blamed having to do that on having gluten sensitivity or other allergy, which I don't :- ).

Good luck!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I travel all week, every week April through August for work. So obviously splurging while on the road is a no go! This really works for me:

For breakfast, I avoid most of the hotel breakfast options and have a little bit of scrambled or hard boiled eggs, or some oatmeal, or a few of my healthy snacks (below), or just a skim latte with no syrup.

For lunch and snacks, I use my per diem to get healthy stuff from the grocery store. Cherry tomatoes, snap peas, mini sweet peppers, apples, bananas, low fat string cheese, light Laughing Cow cheese wedges, raw almonds, tuna, smoked salmon, jerky. Lunch and snacks are always a combo of some of those.

For dinner, I usually order an entree salad with grilled chicken or tuna/salmon, light dressing on the side. Avoid the free bread and all that junk.

Mainly, you just have to get in the mindset that just because you walk by a pretzel stand or drive by a Burger King, DOESN'T mean you're allowed to eat that crap! You're only bringing yourself down if you do.
  • kheinze79
    kheinze79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I travel often for work as well, and what I've found works for me is I stay in hotels that have microwaves in the room so that I can grab a lean cuisine at a local store and have that for dinner after working out in the hotel gym. If I have to go to a business dinner, I'll get something very minimal if there aren't healthy low cal options and will still end up eating the lean cuisine to stay in my daily goal. For breakfast which is often at the airport, I get the Starbucks oatmeal which is only 150 calories and sometimes pair that with a protein or granola bar from home. For lunch, I either have the customer/client order me a salad or try to grab boiled eggs, protein bars, etc. for myself. Good luck, I know how hard it can be sometimes!
  • kbenzacar
    kbenzacar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is so hard.....i too travel a lot for work, sometimes locations i know, sometimes locations i don't know and i really struggle with this and need help. At home, over the summer, i didn't travel much and was able to lose 10 lbs. Since sept 15, when i started travelling every week, i've gained back 5 lbs and am so disappointed after all my work! I usually don't have a car so i can't go to grocery stores - only whTever is walking distance, which isn't much. Im stuck with the restaurants nearby or food that i bring, but i'm fed up of reheating chicken breasts in a hotel microwave and sometimes really want to enjoy that fancy meal someone else is paying for. The airport pretzels and ice cream is the same problem. How do you get the motivation to avoid these things and what can you bring with you that you can reheat? Even trying to be careful most times, i gain. I ordered a great meal the other day and vowed to not eat the bread. But the waiter set it down anyway and it was really late, i was hungry and a tiny piece led to eating the whole thing. I was blown away when i logged it on MFP and found that the bread alone was more than half my calories for the day!
  • kbenzacar
    kbenzacar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I àlso found it really hard to organize well enough to bring food on the trips and am limited with carryon luggage and no icepacks.
  • Chelsea89600
    Options
    It can be hard to organize, especially because bringing your own food usually requires packing MORE. I try to keep low calorie liquids on hand to avoid stress snacking (doesn't always work, but it is an attempt). I also like to get frozen meals, like kheinze79 mentioned. I also eat when I am overwhelmed, and travel can overwhelm me. So I like to have music, or some time to go to the room and lay down in silence for a while before eating. Putting music/ earphones on in the airport can help get you into your own zone, which makes me feel less influenced by my surroundings, but more in control of my decisions. Audio books help keep my mind off of snack for long drives. As for restaurant food, I think it is sensible to take advantage of the luxury every once in a while, but know that it will always be there, and there will always be another trip. Save your restaurant indulgences for when you really want it, and learn to know when you really want it. When you do, indulge then just stick with black coffee the next day for breakfast.
    I hope my tactics help.
    I have will power problems myself, and give in easily. I have just learned to step away and ask myself, "if this option were not presented to me, and I had control over what decision to make, what would I/ should I eat?" Then make your own decision as if that option never presented itself to you.
  • aliackerman
    aliackerman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great advise everyone!!! It's helpful to know that others are in the same boat and have made it work for them. Grocery stores are often not an option for me, so I have to deal with the small town restaurants (think lots of salt and fried stuff with minimal fresh greens). One trick I have tried lately is asking if I can order off the kids menu. In most cases, they don't really have a problem with that (if you ask nicely). That way I can keep my portions small. I love the idea of wearing my headphones through the airport to distract me from the temptations! I've tried the water idea, and that works to an extent, but I can't always use the bathroom as often as I need to if I drink tons of water. I don't always get an aisle seat on the plane, my driving routes don't always have frequent rest stops, and when I'm on-site, I'm conducting presentations for a room full of people, so I can't always excuse myself every hour or so for a restroom break. I do stay very mindful about keeping hydrated though - traveling can really take it out of you.

I think I'm going to pick up a pack or two of rice cakes before my next trip and keep them in my computer bag. I think a big problem is boredom when I'm sitting for hours on end - if I have something that I can much on mindlessly, it might help. :wink:
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Great advise everyone!!! It's helpful to know that others are in the same boat and have made it work for them. Grocery stores are often not an option for me, so I have to deal with the small town restaurants (think lots of salt and fried stuff with minimal fresh greens). One trick I have tried lately is asking if I can order off the kids menu. In most cases, they don't really have a problem with that (if you ask nicely). That way I can keep my portions small. I love the idea of wearing my headphones through the airport to distract me from the temptations! I've tried the water idea, and that works to an extent, but I can't always use the bathroom as often as I need to if I drink tons of water. I don't always get an aisle seat on the plane, my driving routes don't always have frequent rest stops, and when I'm on-site, I'm conducting presentations for a room full of people, so I can't always excuse myself every hour or so for a restroom break. I do stay very mindful about keeping hydrated though - traveling can really take it out of you.

I think I'm going to pick up a pack or two of rice cakes before my next trip and keep them in my computer bag. I think a big problem is boredom when I'm sitting for hours on end - if I have something that I can much on mindlessly, it might help. :wink:

If you find that rice cakes aren't sustaining actual hunger, throw a Quest bar in there too.

• aliackerman
    aliackerman Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "Paige682 wrote: »
    If you find that rice cakes aren't sustaining actual hunger, throw a Quest bar in there too.

Oooohhh... Quest bars.... drool...
  • PRMinx
    Options
    "Paige682 wrote: »

Oooohhh... Quest bars.... drool...

For realz. Cookies n Cream, whaaat?
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

If you're packing food, may as well bring some cherry tomatoes or snap peas or apples or something that has some vitamins and fiber and all that... Also, even if you can't go to the grocery store or classy restaurants, even fast food places have decent halfway salads.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    throoper wrote: »
    I travel all week, every week April through August for work. So obviously splurging while on the road is a no go! This really works for me:

For breakfast, I avoid most of the hotel breakfast options and have a little bit of scrambled or hard boiled eggs, or some oatmeal, or a few of my healthy snacks (below), or just a skim latte with no syrup.

For lunch and snacks, I use my per diem to get healthy stuff from the grocery store. Cherry tomatoes, snap peas, mini sweet peppers, apples, bananas, low fat string cheese, light Laughing Cow cheese wedges, raw almonds, tuna, smoked salmon, jerky. Lunch and snacks are always a combo of some of those.

For dinner, I usually order an entree salad with grilled chicken or tuna/salmon, light dressing on the side. Avoid the free bread and all that junk.

Mainly, you just have to get in the mindset that just because you walk by a pretzel stand or drive by a Burger King, DOESN'T mean you're allowed to eat that crap! You're only bringing yourself down if you do.

Absolutely this. It takes more discipline, but find a few simple rules that work for you. And stick with them. Mine are skip the free bread, skip dessert, focus on drinking a lot of water, focus on getting lean protein and fiber, take the top piece of bread off sandwiches, and sneakily leave sauces on the plate. Oh and go easy on the booze. If you can take/buy your own food as much as possible from a grocery store. If I can I buy these bran cracker things, mini babybels, bananas, apples. I avoid granola bars except in dire emergency - too many calories which don't really fill.