Turkey Day!! What happened?

alseger
alseger Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So here I am struggling real hard to walk a bazillion steps per day, eat under my caloric limit and doing pretty well overall. But damn, some nights I have an extra beer or chicken wing and it takes me 3+ days to get back on track weight-wise.
+
Thanksgiving turkey came knocking and I filled a plate with 2lbs of food (filled the plate and weighed it) and ate it in 2 sessions with 5 cans (tallboys 473ml) beers. I logged it and everything else for the day and I was 1900 calories over my daily goal. I expected to put myself back a few days but my weigh-in the next day only added 0.1lb from the previous. It was like a miracle... a calorie free pig-fest ( sorry, turkey-fest). Maybe turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. is the ultimate diet!!

How is this possible? Other than peeing, no other means of elimination were employed prior to weigh in.

I will attempt the turkey diet again soon and post the results.

**Note** I am posting this as an interesting (to me) anecdote. I am not suggesting weekly turkey dinners... yet.

Replies

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    ............... It's not thanksgivings yet :o
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Silly Canadians :P jk

I have the same crap that happens too. One day I'll go over a little bit and it takes 2 wks to get it all back on track. Then other times I'll go over a lot and even with sodium too and still lose weight like nothing happened. Drives me nuts.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member

I'm guessing he lives in Canada, their Thanksgiving is the 2nd Monday in October.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Damn Canadians indeed. Lol, just kidding. I love you guys.
  • alseger
    I have been tracking food and steps and floors climbed as accurately as I can for quite awhile now and I understand that it's not always day to day predictable, but never before since I've been doing this have I ever eaten so much more in one day than my allotment without a few days of overweightness.

For me, I find I need to weigh-in daily to reach my goals. Any weight above yesterday's is my incentive to do what I need to do to better today. Also, after work I weigh myself to see if I am on track. Generally, I lose 2 lbs overnight while sleeping so I compare this with my morning stats to determine if I can have another beer or not or whether I should do another 4000 steps.

If I did it weekly, I would lose focus. But that's just me. I like spreadsheets, I like accurate data.
  • alseger
    welcome tot he world of weight management and its many wonderous mysteries!
    My geuss? It takes more than a day to metabolise all that food, weight yourself once a week, same scale, same place, same time, nekkid for truer results vs every day.

Good luck!

Yeah, I agree it might take more than a day to metabolize but it is still 2lbs of food you are carrying around.
  • alseger
    edited October 2014

Americans are not the only people in the world. Thanksgiving comes earlier in Canada than the USA. You are on the internet. The internet connects you to people throughout the world. Try to remember that there are other countries in the world and on the internet.

As a Canadian, I am obligated to be nice. So I would like to assure you that I mean no offense by my comment and I wish you good health and prosperity.

Also, I must state that as an atheist, I am free to celebrate Thanksgiving whenever I want.

***Please note: Sarcasm, stereotypes of Canadians, and good natured ribbing are all in play here. I hope no one was harmed by reading this.***
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    1.) Have totally had this happen.
    2.) Am super jelly that you already had your turkey dinner whilst I still have several weeks to wait. :s
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Ah! But what was that 2 lbs of food actually composed of? 2 lbs of brussel sprouts probably wouldn't do quite the same thing to your body or weight as 2 lbs of cheesecake/pumpkin pie..
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    xeyex wrote: »
    You are on the internet.
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    As a Canadian, I am obligated to be nice. So I would like to assure you that I mean no offense by my comment and I wish you good health and prosperity.

I tried to watch a clip from the Colbert Report when I was in Vancouver and saw this:

9t0e8luhyz6c.png

To return to your original question: I've had odd things like that happen. My guess is that the diuretic effects of the alcohol, along with ordinary digestion of the food (which contains a lot of water), led you to urinate more than usual.

I've also had days where I didn't eat or drink much but weighed significantly more the following morning.
  • alseger
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    You are on the internet.
    Thanks for the heads up.

lol
  • alseger
    Ah! But what was that 2 lbs of food actually composed of? 2 lbs of brussel sprouts probably wouldn't do quite the same thing to your body or weight as 2 lbs of cheesecake/pumpkin pie..

I just weighed the whole plate of food (minus the weight of the plate itself) so I don't know the actual breakdown but I would estimate at least 75% of the total weight was from turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Cranberry sauce, maybe 2 or 3 oz. Stuffing, not much weight but a nice heaping handful. Some broccoli and other veggie concoction with some kind of light crusty pastry topping, not much, maybe 4 or 5 oz. Just guesses based on a slightly impaired memory.

Other turkey dinners in the past have always put me back a few days or weeks. Just thought it interesting to post how I somehow got away with decadence this time with no apparent downside.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    It's simply not that scientific. The human body doesn't work like a computer program. Sure, over time, reducing caloric intake will lead to weight loss and increasing it will lead to weight gain. But it's not necessarily going to happen in a single day, based on a single meal. Even a meal as big as Thanksgiving dinner.

(And don't even get me started on how much FOOD I ate during the holidays this year. Jewish High Holidays + Thanksgiving = disaster. That's why I'm here trying to get back on track. But I digress.)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Actually, this has happened to me quite a bit after a large meal I think I'll be paying for it the next day and I'll actually lose a pound or two. I just put it down to water manipulation since you really aren't going to gain or lose very much fat based on one day let alone one meal.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member

I just weighed the whole plate of food (minus the weight of the plate itself) so I don't know the actual breakdown but I would estimate at least 75% of the total weight was from turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Cranberry sauce, maybe 2 or 3 oz. Stuffing, not much weight but a nice heaping handful. Some broccoli and other veggie concoction with some kind of light crusty pastry topping, not much, maybe 4 or 5 oz. Just guesses based on a slightly impaired memory.

Other turkey dinners in the past have always put me back a few days or weeks. Just thought it interesting to post how I somehow got away with decadence this time with no apparent downside.

Oooh, that sounds soooo good! Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potato not so much... I can't wait for Turkey Day over the border!!

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Here is a fun Thanksgiving "cheat sheet" that Weight Watchers offers, to give you an idea about portions. Each points plus is roughly equivalent to 40 calories.
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=44041

Or, you could just chuck it for a day and call it a mini vacation from logging.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    that happens to me also, got off of a plateau by eating large amount of food, weight went up 2 lbs and then down 4 lbs. I think it jolts our system, just my opinion.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    US CANADIANS RULE! EAT DRINK BE MERRY!!!