Need ideas for low salt snacks

Options
JulieF11
JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
This sure has been a process for me! Learning to lower my calories and finding things I like that are low, then finding out my sodium is sky high and I need to change that! My favorite snacks include salsa , canned veggies, low fat cheese sticks, sugar free jello snacks, rice crackers, ready made tuna salad pouches, pickles, pickled okra, diet soda, all wreaking havoc on my sodium intake. Fast prep would be nice, but hey I'm ready to make a change.

Replies

• usmcpatience
    Options
    I'm interested in the responses you get because it's HARD to find ANYTHING low in sodium!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    Fruit.
    Veggie sticks.
    Natural almonds (the unsalted kind...duh)
    Ummm...I'm going to have to think on it some more.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    do you have a whole foods near you?

I found some "go raw snax"
    delicious and almost sodium free! They are like little flax seed snax and sooo good :]
    greek yogurt is pretty low in sodium too :]
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    popsicles! i've been giving this reply to every thread lately because they're my new addiction! they're low cal, help hydrate you, have NO sodium, and taste great!
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    wash the pickles?
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I love crunchy things... so here are someI like:

Terra Sweets & Beets chips (10mg per serving)
    100-calories Almond packs (something like 25 mg)
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I am having the same sodium issues.. The biggest advice I can give you is to make stuff yourself.. it is hard not as easy but it truely the only way to reduce it... most manuafactures use it as a preservative so if it is processed it is loaded with salt. Some of my favotires...

veggies and hummus (I make my own)
    Salsa is super easy to make and it is way better home made
    Try frozen veggies instead of canned
    Watch drinks.. no need to waste sodium (or calories) on a drink
    drink extra water
    no salt added peanut butter on celery or toast
    some of the 100 calorie snacks are good
    fruit!! no sodium there (even fruit cups have less sodium than canned veggies)

I am also taking a prescrition dieretic as well..
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    How about fresh veggies like baby carrots, cherry or grape tomatoes, cucumber, red & green peppers... They need little prep time. You could also add some hummus.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Buy the low sodium canned veggies (although I think they taste pretty bleh and always end up adding salt :laugh: ) or even better, raw baby carrots, sugar snap peas and celery. Some brands of salsa have less sodium than others, so you might check the next time you hit the grocery store and you might try to find some low salt tortilla chip brands, too. Make your own tuna salad in advance and take it with you instead of those pouches. I think they have too much mayo, personally, and are definitely too salty. Interesting fact, regular mayonnaise is usually lower in sodium than the light stuff, so check your labels.

Good luck! It's always interesting when you're changing up ingrained eating habits.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE freeze dried fruit...all of it! It's crunchy and sweet and convenient and NO sodium!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am addicted to trail mixes now! Planters has an Omega-3 mix with walnuts, cranberries and dark chocolate covered soynuts that is sodium free. Otherwise, I try to snack on raw fruits or veggies!
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    Seriously, try to find substitues, such as frozen veggies (or fresh), tuna not ready made, etc. Foods that are canned and a lot of ready made things (TV dinners, soup at hand) Are so full of sodium, it should be illegal! Even 'healthier' foods have high salt because they are taking out fat and adding sodium so their product will still taste 'good'. That's how they stay in business. Sad but true. Some sacrifices have to be made when changing your lifestyle. For instance, when quitting smoking, you sacrifice cigarettes. But you are healthier because of it. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Everything you listed is highly processed and processed foods almost always have tons of added sodium. Keep things as close to nature made it as possible to avoid this.

I love cucumbers slices dipped in greek yogurt, apple slices, unsalted almonds, clementines, grapes (try them frozen) roasted chickpeas to satisfy that crunch, hummus with carrot and pepper sticks, sauteed chicken slices, raisins, cheese sticks, home-baked tortilla triangles with freshly-made salsa, etc.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    Yogurt cups aren't too bad in sodium either.

It's frustrating that so many of the low fat & fat free products come packed with so much sodium. I guess that anytime they take away fat or sugar, they need to add salt so that people won't think it tastes blah.
  • Jerri68
    Jerri68 Posts: 14
    Options
    Ditch the "canned" anything and go for frozen veggies! Frozen veggies and the microwave are my best friend now days, along with fresh steamed veggies. Homemade salsa is the bomb, and there are lots of easy recipes on the net! You can control the sodium a lot with these. As far as snacks, fruit, fresh or frozen, is the best. I do eat the whole wheat melba toast for a snack. I do occasionally eat pickles as they are my weakness, but not often, only when I cant fight the urge anymore. Trade soda for water or tea, unsweet of course! Diet soda or regular, its all bad for you. I find that the more water I drink, the less snacking I do.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on fresh fruits and veggies, unsalted nuts, greek yogurt. Try to lessing the processed/ packaged things you eat by making it your self. Salsa is pretty simple to make, and you can make a large batch and freeze some of it. If you are tracking your sodium you know where the majority comes from, so try and limit those foods.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I like to make my own trail mix out of foods like cereal squares/cheerios, raisins, raw nuts and chocolate chips. Other lower-sodium snacks I use are fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, and veggies & homemade dip (yogurt & spices).
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You can get sunflower nuts roasted and no salt... Great snack along with almonds I buy natural and coco almonds...