Motivation for workouts

Options
I curious of what motivates you guys to continue your workouts for me personally is just seeing lower number on the scale but what about you guys

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    After a while - how long is very individualized - motivation no longer matters. If it's Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday, it's a gym day for me for weight training. If it's a work day, it's a running/ walking day.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I read an inspiring blog about a week ago, that said don't rely on motivation - it comes and goes. What matters is determination. I love Cipher's post there:
    CipherZero wrote: »
    motivation no longer matters
    These things have really impacted me in my running and lifting schedule all week long.

Seeing a loss on the scale sometimes UNmotivates me. :p I love seeing changes in the mirror, or in my progress photos. That motivates me more than anything else. When I get down on myself, I take a good look, and SEE how far I have come. My scale hasn't budged in two years!
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What motivates me is reaching mini-goals that aren't always directly related to the number on the scales.

And also; each new personal best earns me a love heart sticker in my planner. ;)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people I think it is narcissism....
  • cutenikki07
    cutenikki07 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Seeing my stomach get flatter and my health improving is a great sign as well. I don't worry about the scale so much cause I weight lift so muscle weighs more then fat so I can't go off of that :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So I can be just a little more awesome.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    So I can be just a little more awesome.

yea... pretty much.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Improve my cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I remember, as a kid, seeing the fathers of the other kids as they picked them up from school, on the playground, where ever. I remember kids being made fun of because their parent/s was/were fat. I also recall one kid whose father was clearly a weight lifter. This being the 1980s-early '90s, you rarely saw someone with that kind of physique. We all thought he was a crime fighter that could lift cars and punch through walls.

Being a father myself now, I don't want my daughter to be ashamed of me when I show up. I want her peers to see me and their jaws drop in awe as they ask "is that YOUR daddy?"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    keeping up with my own life adventure plans demands that I reach and maintain a certain level of fitness.
  • INSPIRE_SELF
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    I read an inspiring blog about a week ago, that said don't rely on motivation - it comes and goes. What matters is determination. I love Cipher's post there:
    CipherZero wrote: »
    motivation no longer matters
    These things have really impacted me in my running and lifting schedule all week long.

Seeing a loss on the scale sometimes UNmotivates me. :p I love seeing changes in the mirror, or in my progress photos. That motivates me more than anything else. When I get down on myself, I take a good look, and SEE how far I have come. My scale hasn't budged in two years!

i like that i never looked at it that way
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The fact that my workouts make things in everyday life easier - like running up some stairs, carrying shopping.

Because I'm now proud of my body's capabilities.

Because I have made friends at the gym.

Because I like new challenges and treat it as a hobby.

Because I get to eat more foodz!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There is a swim I want to do. I don't want to die while doing it.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    OP, if that's the only reason you are motivated you probably need to change up your routine. Find something you really like. I used to be a runner but the dread factor became too much for me to overcome, so I turned to workout DVDs. I now do 20 minute HIIT and 30 minute step routines through the week and I LOVE them. I don't need any other reason to do them anymore, although weight loss is a bonus. =)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    don't rely on motivation - it comes and goes.
    Couldn't agree more. Motivation has a short shelf life.

Although it helps, I don't think you have to like exercising. You have to want to change more than you hate exercise.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how long you've been training. Cardiovascular abilities and strength both diminish if you dont keep at it. Seeing my stats drop is motivation enough. The most depressing/demotivating thing is an injury cuz I know how much I'm going to lose.

The worst motivation you can have is sex. So many people get to where they think they wanted to be and it doesn't magically fix their sex life as they had imagined. Its pretty common for dudes. Sorry brah, you're still a cynical douche.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My pals on here and the satisfied feeling I get when I'm done my workout :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Mine's evolved.

First it was to encourage a family member to start weight training. I knew if I went, and other family members went, the one who needed it most would go, too. That was before I started trying to lose weight.

Then I started losing weight. Then got to goal weight and wasn't really happy. I wanted more muscle. So appearance was my 2nd motivation and I dropped what I was doing and started free weights.

Now I have more muscle. I've done a bulk, and am trying to cut but found it slow. Thought I'd add in some cardio. Started running. Turns out, I like it. Now I want to improve, so that's my new motivation. I want to get stronger, faster, and have more endurance. All at the same time :smile:

Oh, and lose a little more fat and not be eating bird-like quantities.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, I want so many things. Also, I've hit a rough patch this week, so loading up on cardio (2+ hours a day) is helping me mentally and physically.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My motivations to work out? (1) I love cycling, running, and cross-country skiing. (2) I love being able to eat more food than I could if I were a couch potato, without gaining weight. (3) I've seen what being sedentary does to middle-aged and old people, and it scares me.

#1 is why I do most exercise. #2 and #3 are why I do my basic "toothbrush level" strength training, and one reason why I do indoor cardio in the winter. (Riding a bike on rollers is boring, though the Concept2 erg is somewhat better.) The other reason to do indoor cardio in the winter is that it lets me ride and run farther when the weather is nice again (though I run outside as long as I can get decent footing on the snow/ice).