Highschooler Needing Advice on my training regiment and diet

I want to be a healthier and stronger basketball player. Im not like other high school guys who only care about working out for looks and put whey protein in everything they drink. Im just trying to maximize my capabilities in order to win a spot this year in my schools basketball team. I have the skills but i lack the stamina and i need to lose the weight to be as fast as possible. Im 230 pounds but i need to lose enough to become 185-195 pounds. I just purchased dumb bells and an elliptical with all my savings. I was thinking of focusing on using the treadmill for 40 minutes a day while watching tv on the half of the total resistance then during the day i will use the dumbells for 20 minutes focusing on my biceps using my 18.5 pounders 50 times with both arms. After that maybe i will do 35 pushups and 40 situps.

I have a major problem in my diet. My mom cooks everything for us and she makes us really fatening food. Hamburgers , fries , mashed potatoes , rice , spaghetti , etc. What the hell do i do to make her stop giving us crap that kills us slowly . I try to tell her to make us soups . I need a realistic diet that is wholesome. I get bored of salad and tuna and i really dont have anything else to eat at home. Any ideas of easy to cook foods that are healthy and wholesome.

My body has regular arms , really thick concentrated fat in my thighs and belly fat but somehow i manage to be pretty decent at sports like soccer and basketball. I want to lose that belly fat so please give me tips . I heard that if you have concentrated fat in certain areas such as your thighs or arms , you can convert it into muscle , so i want to convert my thighs fat into muscle.

Please help me out my fitness pals.

Replies

• Id appreciate tips on using the dumbbells so that it can help me with push ups . Also tips on how to make my work out easier and more effective. My trick for maximizing my time on the treadmill is watching my favorite tv shows.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    1) If you're under 18 GTFO.

2) You're a teenage boy, that food won't kill you, unless you do no sports whatsoever.

3) Offer to cook for the family of have a heart-to-heart with your mom.
  • Im 18 year old senior applying to college
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    I found running really increased my stamina for everything. You can cook too, you mum will be grateful and will change what she buys if she knows that she doesn't have to cook it or she has help. Or even more so if it works out cheaper. It can be just as fast to make a casserole - cook the meat and then bung all the veg in a bit casserole dish uncooked with a bit of stock and it will just cook itself in the oven, probably the same time and effort as a ready meal or rice/spaghetti.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    70% of my results are nutrition based, so you need to address this first.
    As an athlete, you need lots of calories and losing weight too fast could negatively affect your performance. Lose weight between seasons if possible.
    In addition to your usual training, make sure you're running about 4 miles 3 times per week and including high intensity interval training.
    I was a fighter, so weight lifting did not add to my performance as much a calisthenics - see below...
    - jlg84cchtl1r.jpg
    I performed this simple routine twice per week on top of everything else.
    Maybe this will give you ideas.
    Good Luck!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I want to be a healthier and stronger basketball player. Im not like other high school guys who only care about working out for looks and put whey protein in everything they drink. Im just trying to maximize my capabilities in order to win a spot this year in my schools basketball team. I have the skills but i lack the stamina and i need to lose the weight to be as fast as possible. Im 230 pounds but i need to lose enough to become 185-195 pounds. I just purchased dumb bells and an elliptical with all my savings. I was thinking of focusing on using the treadmill for 40 minutes a day while watching tv on the half of the total resistance then during the day i will use the dumbells for 20 minutes focusing on my biceps using my 18.5 pounders 50 times with both arms. After that maybe i will do 35 pushups and 40 situps.

I have a major problem in my diet. My mom cooks everything for us and she makes us really fatening food. Hamburgers , fries , mashed potatoes , rice , spaghetti , etc. What the hell do i do to make her stop giving us crap that kills us slowly . I try to tell her to make us soups . I need a realistic diet that is wholesome. I get bored of salad and tuna and i really dont have anything else to eat at home. Any ideas of easy to cook foods that are healthy and wholesome.

My body has regular arms , really thick concentrated fat in my thighs and belly fat but somehow i manage to be pretty decent at sports like soccer and basketball. I want to lose that belly fat so please give me tips . I heard that if you have concentrated fat in certain areas such as your thighs or arms , you can convert it into muscle , so i want to convert my thighs fat into muscle.

Please help me out my fitness pals.

You should not be crash dieting like that at your age. My cousin did it between bulking for football and losing for wrestling, and it was awful for him.
    You cannot lose 50-60lbs in such a short time to get on the basketball team.

Also, if you don't like the food that is being prepared for you, buy your own food and prepare your own meals. What your mom is making does not sound fattening or unhealthy. I eat all of those things regularly and lose. It's all about moderation. Also, be more grateful for the work your mom is doing into preparing a meal for the family.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    You'd be better off developing your leg muscles instead of your biceps if you're looking to become better at basketball and are only picking one muscle group to work out... Basketball is running intensive - so start running! Build leg muscles to help you move more easily (strong legs means it's easier for you to carry yourself around). Be aware that fat never turns into muscle. You can lose your fat and build your muscles but you cannot literally make your fat cells turn into muscle cells.

Also... 50 reps of bicep curls with 19 lb weights.. .either you're going to hurt yourself (if they're too heavy) or you might increase the stamina of only your biceps instead of building much strength.. high rep low weight is typically indicative of an endurance (cardio) exercise opposed to traditional strength exercise.

Someone else here suggested body weight exercises - but those specific ones they showed are too difficult to start out with. Look into a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" which will take you from easier body weight exercises to harder ones as you build muscle. You can get to those exercises shown before by increasing difficulty gradually. For example, if you can't do a pushup, how can you do an inverted pushup? Seems unrealistic.

Spend some time reading all the forums here so that you can learn how it all works and get rid of your "bro-science" exercise concepts and learn what actually works. That's how I learned a lot... but you have to have your thinking cap on and really think about what is correct and what is not. It's not clear cut and you'll have to use your judgement.