question about BMI

Options
Hi,
I'm just wondering what are people's opinions in general of the whole BMI thing. I have lost 10kg so far (yay) but to even get into a healthy BMI for my height (just over 5ft 8) I would have to lose at least another 10kg bringing me down to about 74/75kg. I was 72kg a couple of years ago when I was marathon training and everyone in my life told me that I was too thin and they are warning me not to go back to that. But according to the charts that is a healthy weight for my height! my husband has started telling me don't lose anymore but I think I need to lose a good bit more. Don't know what to think! Any thoughts?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Its a good guide. I stress that its a guide. Some people take it as gospel, and as result of their ignorance, they think its a complete load of rubbish, as some people, for example, can be classed as overweight as a result of having a load of muscle. These people, however, have no common sense.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree w/the above poster that it is a good "guide". I think you can be healthy and in the "overweight" category but unless you look like Mr/Ms Universe you are not healthy if in the "obese" (and above) category. My first weight goal was 162 (I'm 5'6") even though I would have still been in the "overweight" category cuz I liked how I looked and I felt good at that weight.
    Get to the weight that you want to be (as long as you are healthy - ie eat nutritiously and exercise regularly) and that you feel good at.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it's not a good guide IMO (and I share your issues, height and concern)

it's a population based average that insurance companies and government agencies use to determine whether there are any health related issues connected with your weight, irrespective of your body build and musculature

it's ridiculous as a 'rule of thumb' on an individual basis - a hammer to crack a nut which overestimates fat and risks to health of body builders and athletes and also can underestimate body fat and risk in the elderly, those with muscle wasting problems or indeed those who are morbidly obese

even the mathematician (yes not a medical clinician) who invented it in the 19th century said it shouldn't be used on an individual basis - it's about population averages
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't care about muscle fat bone structure etc so its rubbish in my opinion
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i don't like it and think it needs to be eliminated from use, for all the above reasons, plus a couple more.

in june 1998, the national institues of health decided to change the BMI ranges on the "overweight" and "obese" categories. by doing that, millions of people went to bed as "normal" or "overweight" and woke up the next morning as "overweight" or "obese" without even gaining an ounce. this put them at risk not for weight-related diseases, but for insurance premium increases simply based on theoretical expectations that didn't exist for them before.

the fact that they're only utilizing two data points also bothers me. in any other set of calculations on body composition, only using two data points doesn't give you very good information. my bodyfat calculations could vary from 20% to 60%, just depending on where you measured.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders flip out over BMI because their weight puts them in the obese category when they obviously are not.

But for the rest of us, BMI is a pretty good gauge.

If your family is saying you're too thin and you don't know whether or not to believe them, ask the doctor. That is the one person in all the world who will tell you if you need to lose or gain and have no biases or politeness involved with it. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Like any other general chart, its just that, "general". It doesn't take into account body types or muscle mass.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    BMI is more likely to call you 'normal' or 'overweight' when you're obese (by body fat%) than the opposite.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/26/why-bmi-isnt-the-best-measure-for-weight-or-health/

"Among the study participants, about half of women who were not classified as obese according to their BMI actually were obese when their body fat percentage was taken into account. Among the men, in contrast, about a quarter of obese men had been missed by BMI. Further, a quarter who were categorized as obese by BMI were not considered obese based on their body fat percentage. Overall, about 39% of participants who were classified as overweight by their BMI were actually obese, according to their percent body fat."
  • deegrimes95
    deegrimes95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for all the input, some interesting information there, Kalikel, I think it is a good idea to ask my doctor she is a straight shooter!