BMI Issue

Options
Certainly the BMI breaks down when someone is extremely muscular, because it does not take into account the muscle mass in the body. Therefore, a football player or weight lifter will often look obese on a BMI table. It is calculated by the formula Wt (kg)/height in meters squared. However, as a physician I rely on it for looking at most of my patients, because, sadly, most are not athletes. For the naysayer below, of course they are population-based averages...so are normal growth curves in children, and no one questions those.

Some still like the old Met Life tables from the 1940's, because they look at body frame.
http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm
But, beware, people were smaller in 1946 than they are now.

I think you are very safe at either of your goal weights. Even by the strictest criteria you are very close to ideal body weight range at your higher goal weight. Your lower goal weight is within ideal body weight. At which weight do you feel better?

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    My ideal weight will still have me overweight in BMI. Ive calculated it out and if I were to drop into the 'normal' range for BMI, my body fat percentage would be right around 15. While it would be nice to have those abs, I dont think its realistic.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I trashed the BMI scale. It's useless to me as it does not take into account muscle mass as you mentioned. My peak weight today is 185lbs which is considered "overweight".
    Really?91c7q2muybho.png
    Once I reached this weight, I just have tried to lose fat while maintaining 185 pounds.
    It's a slow but sure process...