WEIGHT LOSS AND THYROID???

2»

Replies

• Ok so. The only time I really lost weight fast was when I tried Medifast. Other than that when I used to do this insanely hard bootcamp outside, lifted on wednesdays and steadily ate only 1400 calories even then I only lost about 7 pounds in 6 weeks. Which it seems most of it came off in a clump. From what I've heard people with thyroid issues most likely need to stay away from carbs in general. I don't even eat fruit because of the extra carbs and sugar. I just stick to protein eggs, chicken ground turkey, and veggies brown rice, brown rice noodles, spaghetti squash, etc salad, spinach, pretzels and occasionally chips.

Also to clarify I do lift with a trainer on wednesdays but I also lift throughout the week by myself. I wish I could be one of those people that lose every week but doesn't seem to be my case. I do have a scale that supposedly tells me how much body fat I have. I do remember it telling me my body fat was 57% a few weeks ago and yesterday I stepped on it and it said my body fat was 51%, but I'm not sure how it gets those number just from me stepping on a scale so I'm a bit skeptic. Does anyone else have one of those?

Also, when i went to my endocrinologist she said my levels were normal, but I was busting my hiney to lose weight and gaining too easy. However I do have a goiter so she relented and put me on the meds. I don't believe that you can have a goiter and your levels be 100% of the time correct but hey thats me.
  • blairwithredhair
    blairwithredhair Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2014
    Have you been taking measurements? I'm also hypothyroid, and sometimes the scale doesn't move but your body is actually changing. Muscle is more dense than fat! You may want to try cutting down on the cardio, upping your weight training to at least 2x a week, and incorporating something relaxing like yoga in to your routine. Adrenal fatigue is a thing.

Others react better to medications like Armour, but you should try being on Syntheroid longer. I've also found a huge difference in how I feel between the name brand Syntheroid and the generic, levothyroixine. My thyroid wasn't convertingT4 to T3, so on to Cytomel I went. Many doctors don't look at the whole picture though, too concerned with TSH. Don't be afraid to keep going back to your doctor, keep getting checked, and to be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to find a new endocrinologist if you think yours isn't listening to you (I've been to four since 2012 - my first doctor said "TSH is fine" when I still had allllllll these symptoms). From what you are saying, I do think you need to give yourself more time on Syntheroid though.

Also, if you are recently diagnosed, I highly recommend the Thyroid Diet Revolution by Mary Shomon. Sometimes the "calories in vs. calories out" model simply doesn't work for us, and she gives several different dietary plans to experiment with and see what works. One example is that sometimes hypothyroid patients have a harder time using carbohydrates efficiently. That seems to be my case. I calorie count and exercise and nothing. I only seem to lose weight when I cut out all sugars and starches from my diet, which is really freaking hard in today's society!