DOMS-was I lifting wrong?

Options
Hi,
I have been doing a sorta version of stronglifts (leaving out bench as I just can't seem to do it without my wrists being really sore, so got to work on that)
Did 65kg deadlifts wednesday (YAY!) , along with various other things, and have a bit of DOMS in my lower back yesterday and today. It didn't hurt when I was doing it, and isn't massively sore, just a bit achey, but I don't have a trainer and it is hard to watch your form AND lift, so I don't know if this suggests I might not be lifting appropriately? I'm quite short, so worry I should be trying sumo, but normal seems easier.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DOMS and good/bad technique do not really have a relationship. I've had zero DOMS for horrific nightmare form and I've had crippling DOMS for a week from picture-perfect technique.

It's really easy to see your form, just video it if you're concerned. I'm sure you have a camera or a smartphone.
  • eddieoak
    eddieoak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    DOMS is normal, but the lower back PAIN is serious...Rest, water, creatine/protein for recovery, BCAA's will help too! Lay off the lower back exercise until you recover, or you will risk long term injury...just my 2 cents!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It's not an injury, it's doms. It gets easier as you go on.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you are not completely sure about your deadlift form you should continue to work at a lighter weight until you are. Deadlifts by their nature do work your lower back. Make sure your form is spot on. Watch some video tutorials on youtube. Have someone who works at the gym watch your form, and if that fails try to find someone who is deadlifting and ask pointers from them. Back injuries are nothing to play with. Btw, I deadlifted last night and I can feel it in my lower back a little bit today. There is a difference however between feeling a little tight muscle soreness from working a muscle and an actual injury to your back. Form is extremely important if you are going to continue to progress on the Stronglift 5x5 program. It is best you are sure about it before you continue adding weight.
    Deadlift form is not that hard to perfect either, don't over think it once you get locked in and know what you are doing is correct. Pick it up, put it down, repeat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DOMS is from taking time off of doing a exercise and re tearing the muscles after a period of time it is not in use. Can I recommend wrist curls and also strength to improve the flexibility for your hands. My wrist hurt sometimes after heavy bench and that clears it right up.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    If you are not completely sure about your deadlift form you should continue to work at a lighter weight until you are. Deadlifts by their nature do work your lower back. Make sure your form is spot on. Watch some video tutorials on youtube. Have someone who works at the gym watch your form, and if that fails try to find someone who is deadlifting and ask pointers from them. Back injuries are nothing to play with. Btw, I deadlifted last night and I can feel it in my lower back a little bit today. There is a difference however between feeling a little tight muscle soreness from working a muscle and an actual injury to your back. Form is extremely important if you are going to continue to progress on the Stronglift 5x5 program. It is best you are sure about it before you continue adding weight.
    Deadlift form is not that hard to perfect either, don't over think it once you get locked in and know what you are doing is correct. Pick it up, put it down, repeat.

This x100000. Well put my friend...OP, a little practice will go a long way, and it won't take long to do it right. As for your wrists, I'd look into getting wrist straps specifically for lifting. I'm at such a heavy weight for my squats and bench that it hurts my wrists too, but once I got the straps it was sooo much better.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It sounds like DOMS to me. I'm always a bit worried whenever I have an achey back after deadlifting. I'm the same way - feel nothing WHILE I do it, but the next day or two I can really feel it. I've been told that you will KNOW when it's not the good kind of post-workout pain! Make sure you do have your form correct though before going any heavier :)

Btw just a suggestion for your bench press -- do your wrists get sore because the bar is too heavy? Try using the lighter barbells (at my gym, they come in increments of 10 starting at 15 lbs, so much lighter than the 45 lb olympic bar), or even using a dumbbell in each hand.

Good luck!
  • katiew78
    katiew78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is definitely NOT lower back pain, just that dull ache that makes you know you worked hard :)
    My gym's T&C state no photography, but will see if I can sneakily film to check form
    With bench-its like I have difficulty keeping my wrists straight, even with a lighter bar-but I will try again next week (I do press ups and am trying pull ups at home rather than benching...