QUESTION: Protein Powder?

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
So I'm a gal that's on a pretty tight budget, I've been using the Body Fortress protein powder that honestly tastes good in my opinion and is great when it comes to price! I'm just questioning if anyone knows if it's good quality or not, not sure if I should be trying to purchase one that's a bit more money (without draining the bank) if it's better quality. I'm 5'3" currently 157 lbs, workout about 4-5 times a week doing about 40 minutes of cardio along with 25 minute circuit training. Just trying to maintain muscle while trying to lose weight so I'm not really aiming to build, that's why I figured Body Fortress would be fine to do the job.

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yeah i've heard the term "amino spiking" thrown around recently and i'm not really sure what that means...but I've taken body fortress numerous times without regret. Some people complain about its quality but never seem to back that up with articles.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything particularly bad about Body Fortress, other than the taste is not the best on the market. It's priced right for what you get and is pretty cheap in comparison to many other whey powders. I have heard complaints about bloating after taking it (that may be an individual complaint) and that it is pretty thin tasting after mixing, even with milk. If you're willing to shell out a little more money ($50 for a one month supply) I would recommend BSN's Isoburn Protein for what you're trying to achieve. It is a fat burner, protein powder mix that gives you plenty of grams of protein per drink (20g) that is only taken once a day vice twice or three times a day you see in many other protein drinks. It has green tea, caffeine derivative and other ingredients to speed up metabolism to assist in fat burning. I haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to taste like BSN's Syntha 6, which is a great product I think. Syntha 6 is pretty pricey but I reduce my cost by buying it at the cheapo supplement stores (do not buy it online), and the strawberry tastes just like a milkshake, even when mixed with water. It is absolutely delicious. Also, if Isoburn is like Syntha 6, it has a proprietary combination blend of proteins and amino acids that slow releases into your system over time. Your body can only absorb so much protein at any given moment and absorbs certain kinds of protein slower than others.

In the end, you have to decide what's best for you. Considerations are cost, taste and effect. Find something that is within your budget, tastes great so that you aren't just trying to choke it down and do actually enjoy drinking it and that actually helps you achieve the results you want.

However, I always felt the best option is to get your protein intake from food as your body does much better absorbing that than a manmade product. Uptake your lean protein in many meals throughout the day and you should get the same effect as a protein powder. Hope this helped and good luck.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yeah i've heard the term "amino spiking" thrown around recently and i'm not really sure what that means...but I've taken body fortress numerous times without regret. Some people complain about its quality but never seem to back that up with articles.

Amino spiking is the placement of certain amino acids in protein drinks that do not add much to the overall effectiveness of the powder but can increase the amount of protein that is added to the drink. However, many of these amino acids are not part of the 9 essential amino acids and over a certain amount they have little to no effect. Companies pack these in to meet their protein content claims while keeping cost low as adding copious amounts of the amino acid is less expensive than adding actual proteins (whey, caseines, egg). The effect is the label may say that you're getting 25g of protein per drink when in actuality you are only getting 15g.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You know you can make your own protein shake. Add raw egg and milk and whayever else you want I add a natural protein powder nutiva hemp protein with 0 net carbs no sugars or fillers. Add avacado a half slice a cup of kale and banana for sweetness or stevia packet. Its good and only 10 a can
  • Behxo
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys :]
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You know you can make your own protein shake. Add raw egg and milk and whayever else you want I add a natural protein powder nutiva hemp protein with 0 net carbs no sugars or fillers. Add avacado a half slice a cup of kale and banana for sweetness or stevia packet. Its good and only 10 a can

Are you saying to drink a raw egg? Not everybody here wants salmonella. :sick:
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the consistency of BF (was very gritty when I tried it), but if you like it, there ya go!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed Isopure Perfect. My wife takes the Meal Replacement powder because she's already pretty thin & can use the extra carbs, I use the Low Carb option because I'm pretty chubby but still like to lift weights.
    I'd say the taste is above average, but it mixes so much better than any other protein powder I've had. You can literally dump one scoop into several ounces of water, give it a few shakes, and it is smoooooth as can be. Not the cheapest, but worth it in my opinion. I tend to buy it in 7-8lb buckets on eBay.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

@accelerashawn see sample ID 7 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

Damn, nice! Looks like I'll be switching from ON GS to the Performance Whey and saving ~$2/lb. :mrgreen:
  • Behxo
    Options

__drmerc__ wrote: »

@accelerashawn see sample ID 7 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

I love the "Am I concerned with this brand?" followed with the "Maybe" for Body Fortress lol
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Are you saying to drink a raw egg? Not everybody here wants salmonella. :sick:

As long as the eggs are coming from hens vaccinated against salmonella you're unlikely to have this issue, you're more likely to get it from reheating rice!!
  • FitForL1fe
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ok, I had to do the napkin math on this just for my own sanity...I'm using Amazon prices since that's where I make my purchases:

ON PW:
    1900g (4.19 lb) for $43.99.
    22g protein per serving, 50 servings.
    1100g protein claimed per tub * 0.91 measured/claimed ratio = 1001g actual protein per tub.
    Price per gram = $0.044.

ON GS:
    2273g (5 lb) for $57.99.
    24g protein per serving, 71 servings.
    1704g protein claimed per tub * 0.88 measured/claimed ratio = 1499.52g actual protein per tub.
    Price per gram = $0.039.

We have a winnah! :mrgreen: