HELP! I'm a failure!

Options

Replies

• SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow pretty lady STRONG WORDS... After one month you are NOT a failure... not at all... probably your body is just adjusting to the changes...

I know everyone will say this but MEASURE and weight EVERYTHING... spoons and cups are not reliable at all!
    -watch you sodium! water weight can make you feel like nothing comes off!
    -drink water...A LOT OF WATER!
    -machines always over estimate your burns... I under estimate my burns by around 100 cals every time!

good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Turn the scale on, set the bowl on the scale. Where the on button is it should also say "tare"...hit it again and it'll zero the weight out. Place the cottage cheese in the bowl, note the weight it says, hit tare again. Do the same thing with the pineapple. Then you can record those weights.

Also, diet pills/garcinia/etc. are basically worthless so avoid them.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I will be patient and keep trying... get a food scale and a heart rate monitor. Should I take anything like that Garcinia or Green Coffee Bean or ask my doctor for something?

There is no need for more out of pocket expenses other than food scale and HRM. Green coffee beans is suppose to raise metabolism right. I see those things all the time for sale. No one buys them.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How are you measuring your food, with cups and spoons or with a food scale? If it's the former then yes, you probably are underestimating what you're eating. Also, if you're eating back 100% of your exercise calories that may be putting you over. Most people on MFP who eat them back only do 50-75% due to overestimations of burns.

Cups and spoons. Ok, so I should lower my calorie goal perhaps so that when I underestimate my eating, I will be on track?
    And I could probably stop eating back my exercise calories, but I think I will starve to death combining these two ideas. =(

You can get a decent digital food scale at Walmart for $14.... I use mine to weigh my meat in oz and everything else in grams. And also with this scale, you can put a bowl on it and then zero out the weight before adding the actual food you will be weighing.

• Katniss12Peeta
    Katniss12Peeta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What is your sport as an athlete?

Well I played softball like a maniac from birth to 21. Now I am a cyclist. Doing about 80 miles tops right now, been doing it about 6 months. I also hike often.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Food scale, Heart rate monitor with chest strap Polar ft7 is what I use for calculating that gym burn, Proper measuring cups, spoons and other items to do this properly...stop guessing this takes work, calculation and TIME. (read the instruction manual with all items YOUTUBE has instructional videos on scales and monitors)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The coffee bean crap became a thing because Dr. Oz got paid to hype it. Sales soared directly after. Then the Senate hearing happened. Where he stuck his foot in his mouth and revealed his putz-ittude. I've lost 55lbs not using weight loss supplements. My metabolism was crap. I did fine. I recommend you stick to basics and save your money. :heart: \

OP, you aren't a failure, you just need to figure out what small thing or things are going wrong and tweak it. Keep at it.
  • radimage
    Options
    You're only a failure if you stop trying.

Stay focused, listen to these smart people helping you, and keep trying.

You can do it.
  • TheTubaGeek
    TheTubaGeek Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Take measurements (chest, waist, biceps, thighs, neck) and track them over the next few months. You may not be seeing the change on the scale, but the changes are showing up there instead.

Also, consider changing your workouts; muscle confusion = weight loss.
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    Thanks for the info about the scale, malibu927 and I_Will_End_You
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Seriously: it sounds like the changes in your life are making you happier and better. don't worry, the weight will follow.
    You said you usually do a frozen meal at lunch? I'd try to find something else. Those are usually full of crap chemical preservatives. any lean meat and vegis will take you further through your day. (I usually have leftovers from dinner the night before)
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    SWEETMAY84 wrote: »
    Wow pretty lady STRONG WORDS... After one month you are NOT a failure... not at all... probably your body is just adjusting to the changes...

I know everyone will say this but MEASURE and weight EVERYTHING... spoons and cups are not reliable at all!
    -watch you sodium! water weight can make you feel like nothing comes off!
    -drink water...A LOT OF WATER!
    -machines always over estimate your burns... I under estimate my burns by around 100 cals every time!

good luck!

I do need to drink more water! Thats for sure. I hate drinking water though. Like I just get busy and work and forget. Any advice for That?
  • onlygettingfitter
    Options
    Just be careful when cutting calories, if you cut too many calories your body could go into a "starvation mode" which in essence kills that fat loss. Don't let it stress you out, because again that has a negative impact when you're trying to lose weight. Drinking water is key and also making sure you're eating nutrient dense foods!

Patience is key, also look at the type of work out your doing, definitely make sure you're getting a good variety of cardio and strength training.

One thing I've learned is squats and lunges are essential (I have a love/hate relationship with them but it works) Your legs have the largest muscles and in essence helps to boost your metabolism which will help with the weight loss.

You will succeed!
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    adnaram wrote: »
    Seriously: it sounds like the changes in your life are making you happier and better. don't worry, the weight will follow.
    You said you usually do a frozen meal at lunch? I'd try to find something else. Those are usually full of crap chemical preservatives. any lean meat and vegis will take you further through your day. (I usually have leftovers from dinner the night before)

They're just so easy!! LOL
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    Just be careful when cutting calories, if you cut too many calories your body could go into a "starvation mode" which in essence kills that fat loss. Don't let it stress you out, because again that has a negative impact when you're trying to lose weight. Drinking water is key and also making sure you're eating nutrient dense foods!

Patience is key, also look at the type of work out your doing, definitely make sure you're getting a good variety of cardio and strength training.

One thing I've learned is squats and lunges are essential (I have a love/hate relationship with them but it works) Your legs have the largest muscles and in essence helps to boost your metabolism which will help with the weight loss.

You will succeed!

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • roullmann
    roullmann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, you are NOT a failure. Losing weight is probably more of a mental than a physical battle. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is lighten up and love yourself. Next, go to your doctor and get a full physical with a blood panel to check your glucose, cholesterol, etc. Also, if you are on any medications at present, see if those have any side-effects that may cause weight gain.
    I am 55 years old and have been up and down my whole life. At 54 I finally found the right program for me, HMR (http://www.hmrprogram.com). So far I have lost close to 80 pounds but I have learned so much more about myself, eating right, and being active.
    You haven't been doing this for very long and you are young, both of which are in your favor. Stay with it and you'll be fine.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Well I played softball like a maniac from birth to 21. Now I am a cyclist. Doing about 80 miles tops right now, been doing it about 6 months. I also hike often.

Cycling... ahh now you are speaking my language. Yes get a HRM and good cycling computer like a Garmin 500 or 510. I know they are expensive but it is an absolutely invaluable training tool.

• adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    for water- I have a big glass before every meal, in the morning, before bed, before every snack. It helps to have a bottle that you like and is easy to carry around with you. I always forget to drink, too. oh! and I drink a full bottle whenever I'm in the car. it's easy there cause there's nothing else to do but drive. once you ARE getting enough water, you'll be a lot more sensitive to when you're getting dehydrated and you'll want water more.
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    roullmann wrote: »
    First, you are NOT a failure. Losing weight is probably more of a mental than a physical battle. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is lighten up and love yourself. Next, go to your doctor and get a full physical with a blood panel to check your glucose, cholesterol, etc. Also, if you are on any medications at present, see if those have any side-effects that may cause weight gain.
    I am 55 years old and have been up and down my whole life. At 54 I finally found the right program for me, HMR (http://www.hmrprogram.com). So far I have lost close to 80 pounds but I have learned so much more about myself, eating right, and being active.
    You haven't been doing this for very long and you are young, both of which are in your favor. Stay with it and you'll be fine.

Thank you. That really makes me feel better. I got a full physical about 2 months ago. I stopped all medications I was on - antidepressant and birth control. So, I think I am primed to lose weight if I can just do it.
  • Katniss12Peeta
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Cycling... ahh now you are speaking my language. Yes get a HRM and good cycling computer like a Garmin 500 or 510. I know they are expensive but it is an absolutely invaluable training tool.

We've been talking about getting cycling computers (my hubbie and I). I think I will start with a HRM - THAT I can afford!