Another TMI post (lady problems)

Options
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but, y'know...

So, I've lost almost 80 pounds over the past year (yyaaayy!). For the past 3 months, I'll have my regular cycle, skip a few days, and then start bleeding again. It's getting worse every month (heavier and for longer periods of time). I talked to my doctor, and he said weight loss can throw your hormones off, which can sometimes cause abnormal bleeding. Short of going on birth control (I refuse, it screws me up), he said there's not much he can do if it's simply a hormonal problem. They've already done an ultrasound and didn't find anything crazy, so I'm assuming hormones. I'm not looking for an internet diagnosis or anything, but I would still like to know if anyone else has experienced this after significant weight loss, because, frankly, it's freaking me out a bit. My period ended on the 7th, and I'm still randomly bleeding every few days. I pretty much have to wear pantiliners all the time, just in case.

Sooo... am I the only one?

Replies

• SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do! I actually have this problem every time I loose more than 10 pounds, regular period and then spotting... my Dr explained to me that fat helps to store the hormones (oooor something like that) so weight loss can create a unbalance until you set on a weight and maintain for a while!
  • sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs last year and that messed up my cycle. I'm even on birth control so I can track accurately when it will come and it's been the same since I've started taking it. It's been several years of regular flow. When I lost the weight, my period just didn't come at all. Don't freak out. Your body just has to adjust. 80 lbs is a rly big loss for your body to adjust to
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    When you say BC screws you up; have you tried exploring other options? I couldn't use anything estrogen based, but once I found a non-estrogen based BC, made a whole world of difference!

It definitely sounds like the weight loss could be contributing to this. I would keep close track of the days you have your cycle for the next few months, and take that to your doctor. If your doctor doesn't have any reason to concern right now and your ultrasound was normal, try not to panic too much! Sorry about the inconvienence, though...us girls have it rough sometimes!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, have always heard that weight loss can screw up your cycle.

You can always try getting a second opinion from another doctor.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion from an ob-gyn.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had this after my 1st son took a year to settle down. I had polyps that bled id definitely get a second opinion
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've always had that to some extent. But yeah since losing weight my cycle is all over the place, I bleed randomly for a couple days every week it seems, and my cycle is 1.5-2 months long now... total suckage. Both my doctor and my GYN said it's nothing to worry about.
  • afatakedavra
    afatakedavra Posts: 42 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I know it's common for women to stop menstruating with weight loss, but I hadn't heard tale of the opposite, until now. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I trust my doctor, I guess, but I've had some lady issues in the past, so I guess I was already paranoid. I would have simply gotten a second opinion, but I've had a hard time finding doctors that will take my insurance around here and I actually had to be referred by the ER for this Dr. to see me. So anyway, thanks again. I'll save my freaking out until it either gets unbearable or my insides start falling out. lol.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I actually have had a very similar issue. I started losing weight July 1st, 2013. By mid August last year I had started having spotting constantly. My periods have always been problematic (extremely painful, and heavy bleeding) My doctors tried different types of birth control. Every time the doctors changed my medicines, it would throw me out of wack for awhile. I would get hungry, and my depression would spiral out of control. In June of this year (after almost a full year of constant spotting) my doc sent me for another ultra sound and found a lot of large fibroids. She put me on a fibroid shrinking pill, and for the first time in a year I felt GOOD, and my bleeding stopped. My doctors decided on a hysterectomy, that is scheduled for Jan 5, 2015. Well, you can only stay on the meds I was on for three months, so recently I had to go off those pills and back onto birth control until the surgery, and I am BACK to being completely out of control. I am CONSTANTLY hungry, and my depression is yet again taking control to the point I'm having a hard time getting out of bed every day. It is soooo frustrating. I just want to do take control of my life and get this under control. I am not sure if this is very helpful, but at least you know that someone else is going through a very similar situation.