Nutrition/Vitamin Suggestions - Hair is 'breaking' due to Hormonal change

Options
Not sure if this a 'weight/food' topic - but I've noticed the more I get in the 'premenopause' stage the more my hair is BREAKING - especially along my bangs, etc. My stylist and I have tried all the great oils, conditioners, etc for repairing hair - neither of us can understand why it's happening (the rest of my hair is in PERFECT condition).. only thing we can figure is that my hormones must be lacking some nutrition/vitamin somehow and it's showing through my 'hair'... wondering what ideas people have to replenish nutrients for this problem. I do take Vit.E & Codliver Fish vitamins - wondering if I'm missing something in my diet??
I appreciate the help on this.. and again, sorry if it's not a 'normal' food/nutrition question.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Is it breaking or falling out? Either way a doctor's visit may be your answer. Breaking may well be a vitamin deficiency and the best way of finding out is a blood test. Falling out may be thyroid related which is another blood test.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Low protein diets can cause hair to weaken or fall out.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    quote="missiontofitness;30086950"]Are you getting enough protein? Low protein diets can cause hair to weaken or fall out.[/quote]

I've been trying to make sure my protein is anywhere from 80-115g a day.[

Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Is it breaking or falling out? Either way a doctor's visit may be your answer. Breaking may well be a vitamin deficiency and the best way of finding out is a blood test. Falling out may be thyroid related which is another blood test.

It's not really falling out - more like 'breaking'.. it gets to a certain length (which is maybe about 1.5 inches) and then it starts breaking. Looks like really really really bad split ends. Perhaps I'll need to make a dr appt.. just wondered if it had anything to do with premenopause/hormone fluctuations and if anyone had experienced this.

Thanks for your input - SO appreciated :)

• ECfromSJ
    ECfromSJ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of years past menopause, and I did see a big change in my hair. I'd find hairs in my comb, and also a lot in the tub drain. Also a couple of winters ago, I had the worst case of dry, static prone hair I ever experienced. It just seems to be brittle. I've had good success with using Infusium 23 shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment. I use the leave-in treatment from a spray bottle; it works like detangling spray so when you run a comb through wet hair, you don't break the hairs off.

I recently came across this page on the American Academy of Dermatology about hair loss, including breakage. Maybe something there will spark an idea. Good luck.

https://aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss/who-gets-causes
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything about menopause or pre menopause stuff (I'm 19 so I have a ways to go before that), but I can say that your hair reflects your nutrition 3 months ago. So even if you have balanced your diet now, you may be experiencing the effects from past months now when it comes to your hair
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure your protein is on par. Also (don't shoot!!), ItWorks! Global makes a supplement called Hair Skin Nails. I have never found anything so amazing for my hair. It was strong, healthy, and shiny. They claim it makes it grow faster and maybe it did but I wasn't worried about that. **I am in NO way affiliated with ItWorks! Global, I just like some of their products.
  • Kari121869
    Options
    ECfromSJ wrote: »
    I'm a couple of years past menopause, and I did see a big change in my hair. I'd find hairs in my comb, and also a lot in the tub drain. Also a couple of winters ago, I had the worst case of dry, static prone hair I ever experienced. It just seems to be brittle. I've had good success with using Infusium 23 shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment. I use the leave-in treatment from a spray bottle; it works like detangling spray so when you run a comb through wet hair, you don't break the hairs off.

I recently came across this page on the American Academy of Dermatology about hair loss, including breakage. Maybe something there will spark an idea. Good luck.

https://aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss/who-gets-causes

I'm definitely picking up some of that infusium 23 stuff.. give that a try.. and thanks for the link.. I'm going to check that out too..
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As has been mentioned, a Dr visit might be in order.
    I had the same issue and just changed my hair style.
    It didn't work... >:)
    mv51ykb0fyq8.jpeg
  • Kari121869
    Options
    I can't say anything about menopause or pre menopause stuff (I'm 19 so I have a ways to go before that), but I can say that your hair reflects your nutrition 3 months ago. So even if you have balanced your diet now, you may be experiencing the effects from past months now when it comes to your hair

Wow.. really that long past huh? I've been healthy eating for over a year now.. you'd think I'd be ok.. guess not.. I'm going to check out what nutrients are good for hair I think. Thanks :)
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Kari121869 wrote: »

Wow.. really that long past huh? I've been healthy eating for over a year now.. you'd think I'd be ok.. guess not.. I'm going to check out what nutrients are good for hair I think. Thanks :)

Yea. I was very surprised when I found out too. It explains why I kept losing hair after starting to eat healthier (before I was having very low calorie days everyday). If you've been consistently eating well and getting all the required vitamins for a year though I'm not sure that would impact your hair now, if anything it should be stronger I think due to getting the proper nutrients. It sounds like a good plan to check about the nutrients. Hope you resolve this as I know it's very frustrating.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think looking at your calcium or Vitamin D is a good idea too. I agree if you're not getting your vitamins, your hair might reflect the issue.
  • Kari121869
    Options
    Thanks.. I'm working on taking supplements for that.. :)
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I take Barlean fish oil and some biotin supplements, but your hair and nails have to pretty much grow out before you see improvement.
    I agree a doctor's visit would be best, but a couple other things that I have heard about that cause hair breakage like this are using protein masks too frequently and wearing a ponytail in the same position often.
  • crystalewhite
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    As has been mentioned, a Dr visit might be in order.
    I had the same issue and just changed my hair style.
    It didn't work... >:)
    mv51ykb0fyq8.jpeg

You look fabulous!
  • Kari121869
    Options
    I take Barlean fish oil and some biotin supplements, but your hair and nails have to pretty much grow out before you see improvement.
    I agree a doctor's visit would be best, but a couple other things that I have heard about that cause hair breakage like this are using protein masks too frequently and wearing a ponytail in the same position often.

Thanks for the info - I actually don't wear my hair in a ponytale very often - and the breakage is only at my 'bangs' area.. the rest of my hair (sides and back) are in perfect condition... weird I know..

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'd try a biotin supplement, and maybe a collagen/gelatin supplement as well. But it may take several months to know whether it has helped. I've been on biotin for over 3 months and have seen some improvement in my breakage (mine is particularly bad around the bangs too) and it seems to be healthier. I've also increased my 'good' fats, such as avocado & nuts, so that may also have helped. I have used Infusium for years but that wasn't enough to completely solve my problem.
  • Kari121869
    Options
    Thanks nikkit321 - I'm taking all this info in to get a 'plan' in action.
  • crystalewhite
    Options
    Kari121869 wrote: »

Thanks for the info - I actually don't wear my hair in a ponytale very often - and the breakage is only at my 'bangs' area.. the rest of my hair (sides and back) are in perfect condition... weird I know..

Ponytails still cause tension on the entire length, but if it's not something you do every day it's definately not that. I hope you find out what it is soon, the worst is not knowing.