New HRM is depressing me

Options
I bought a new Polar FT4 yesterday based on all the recommendations here. I used it for the first time doing my wii fit. Since it was my light workout I wasn't surprised when it said I burned 222 calories in that half hour. This morning I did 30 minutes on my stationary bike with intervals, which according to my bike burns 515 calories in a half hour. According to my HRM I only burned 245. That is only a few more than my wii fit, and such a harder workout. I am so depressed! But it's good I haven't been eating back all those exercise calories the machine said I was burning for the last two months. Any possibility the HRM could be giving me a less accurate reading on the bike? Thanks.

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    No the HRM is custom to your lbs, height, and sex. It is much more accuate. What are you doing on Wii Fit?
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    hmmm, Good question... I am still debating on getting a HRM.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No, unfortunately not. As long as the HRM is getting a good reading from you (it will tell you if it's not) then that will be the most accurate by far.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt trust the machines at all!

Plus exercise bike is usually a pretty low cal burn. Doing an hour of it I barely get to 300 some times and Im going hard!
    Running ill burn 500-600 an hour though

the HRM knows your age, height and such. And your fitness level. The exercise bike doesnt really know xD
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    No the HRM is custom to your lbs, height, and sex. It is much more accuate. What are you doing on Wii Fit?

Very interesting. So... the machine is the one that is off. The more I learn, the more I want one.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Very interesting. So... the machine is the one that is off. The more I learn, the more I want one.

Yes very off. I highly suggest Polar HRM worth the money!!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Like the cake... machines are a lie also.

I fell for the #'s on our eliptical and they were well over what an HRM said.

HRM may be depressing but reality can be that way. You will thank the HRM later... :noway:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I wouldnt trust the machines at all!

Plus exercise bike is usually a pretty low cal burn. Doing an hour of it I barely get to 300 some times and Im going hard!
    Running ill burn 500-600 an hour though

the HRM knows your age, height and such. And your fitness level. The exercise bike doesnt really know xD

So true thats why I stopped doing Spin Class!! I would look at my HRM and it would be only like 430! It would infurate me bc I could loose so many more doing my own cardio or workout!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The machines post calories burned based upon averages and formula and do NOT take your actual HR or stats into consideration--even if the machine shows you your HR while exercising and asks you your weight when you first start--it is only using that info to tell you what zone you are working in...and does NOT use that info for the cal burn calculation.

Go by the HRM.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just bought a SmartHealth HRM a couple of days ago. And, Yes unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, glass half full right?) the readings are pretty accurate.

I accept that I need to work harder. No point in lying to myself about the stats. Its reality. :-)
  • nikkijedlo
    nikkijedlo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the same disappointment. Was sooo excited to get my Polar FT4, and after the first week, was so bummed at the lower calories burned. I've used my HRM for Zumba, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Slim in Six Burn it Up, treadmill, roller blading, and running outside. I have to adjust the number that MFP gives me when I log it to a much lower #. BUT, I am very glad to know my actual burn and it's a pretty cool gadget!

Use it a couple of times and you'll be able to tell if you're getting an acurate reading or not. Make sure you wet down the pads on the belt - I forgot to do this a couple times and saw a much different reading.

Best of luck on your journey. :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I do the advanced step and the free run. Usually step for 20-25 minutes and then a medium length free run. I might do that more often knowing a burn about the same calories as my bike. And here I thought I was doing so good on my bike. The heart rate on my bike was accurate with what my HRM was giving me, so I was completely shocked with the calories burned were about half. I knew it was probably a long shot to hope my HRM didn't work as well sitting or something. But hey, I got it so I could be accurate, so know I know I am.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM. I am surprised sometimes at how much lower the calories it says I burn compared to what MFP's exercise database suggests. I just make sure my heart rate is within the target range. I also make sure it continually picks up my heart rate. I am not sure myself. I know what you mean by being depressed though. I went for a brisk walk yesterday that lasted 37 minutes. It said I only burned120 calories. Last week I went swimming (did some laps and some water aerobics) and in 67 minutes it said I only burned 138 calories. MFP said with leisurely swimming in an hour I should have burned over 600 calories. I have never used another HRM to compare the calories burned to. It seems low to me also.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I had the same disappointment. Was sooo excited to get my Polar FT4, and after the first week, was so bummed at the lower calories burned. I've used my HRM for Zumba, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Slim in Six Burn it Up, treadmill, roller blading, and running outside. I have to adjust the number that MFP gives me when I log it to a much lower #. BUT, I am very glad to know my actual burn and it's a pretty cool gadget!

Use it a couple of times and you'll be able to tell if you're getting an acurate reading or not. Make sure you wet down the pads on the belt - I forgot to do this a couple times and saw a much different reading.

I dont know if you came across my forum a while ago but I was haVing trouble with my polar bc I wasnt washing it correctly. Make sure you are washing it after each session and once a week you are suppose to wash it in the washing machine but DO NOT PUT IT IN THE DRYER,
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I have the same HRM. I am surprised sometimes at how much lower the calories it says I burn compared to what MFP's exercise database suggests. I just make sure my heart rate is within the target range. I also make sure it continually picks up my heart rate. I am not sure myself. I know what you mean by being depressed though. I went for a brisk walk yesterday that lasted 37 minutes. It said I only burned120 calories. Last week I went swimming (did some laps and some water aerobics) and in 67 minutes it said I only burned 138 calories. MFP said with leisurely swimming in an hour I should have burned over 600 calories. I have never used another HRM to compare the calories burned to. It seems low to me also.

Sorry but it is true. Walking doesnt burn much and nither does swimming. My HR doesnt get too high while swimming. If I swim its not for the exercise its just bc I feel like it.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I bought a new Polar FT4 yesterday based on all the recommendations here. I used it for the first time doing my wii fit. Since it was my light workout I wasn't surprised when it said I burned 222 calories in that half hour. This morning I did 30 minutes on my stationary bike with intervals, which according to my bike burns 515 calories in a half hour. According to my HRM I only burned 245. That is only a few more than my wii fit, and such a harder workout. I am so depressed! But it's good I haven't been eating back all those exercise calories the machine said I was burning for the last two months. Any possibility the HRM could be giving me a less accurate reading on the bike? Thanks.

You may need to dampen the sensors for a better connection.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I used to calculate my own calories burned based off the "percieved exertion" and 10 second HR checks. Then I got a HRM and I was WAY off. I always thought I burnt about 10 cals a minute, when it was really not the case!!!

That being said, about the exercise cals thing, before I got my HRM, I was eating back all my exercise cals - and even though they were wrong, and way more than I should have been eating, I was losing weight! Then, when I got my HRM and tried to stay in my cal count, I found my body exhausted and not losing anything, so I upped my cal count to incorporate how much I was actually eating pre-hrm. My point? If you are losing weight, then regardless of the hrm vs. machine cal count, you are doing something right!!!
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I also have the same HRM and also don't burn as much on my bike. So I feel your pain :(
  • nikkijedlo
    nikkijedlo Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I dont know if you came across my forum a while ago but I was haVing trouble with my polar bc I wasnt washing it correctly. Make sure you are washing it after each session and once a week you are suppose to wash it in the washing machine but DO NOT PUT IT IN THE DRYER,

Yup, I rinse it out after each workout and it goes in the wash a probably twice a week. But before a workout, the electrodes on the belt are supposed to be wet down for a proper reading. I really love my HRM!! :)
  • jennmoore3
    Options

hold up... I looked at them and all I saw was watch style... How do I go about looking up something like you are describing?