What should I do from here?

Options
Hope everyone is having a lovely start to the weekend!

I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that I'm at an unhealthy place right now, weight wise. On a BMI chart, it says I'm underweight (5'5.5" and 106 lbs) but I don't really know if a BMI chart is all that accurate. But I know something is wrong because of how I have been feeling lately. I'm rather weak and I feel run-down a lot. I tried to work at a haunted house like I do every year last Friday, and I couldn't complete the 5 hour session because I got too dizzy and weak.

Also, my family has become worried about me, which leads to me becoming concerned too.

I'm currently taking in anywhere between 1,700 to 2,100 calories a day. I figured this would make me gain easily. But I work out a lot (Anywhere from 300-600 calories burned) so I feel like this may be contributing to why I'm still slowly losing, little by little.

I'm also hungry all the time, always. I binged today big time, and I'm feeling sick. (Did not log, but I wouldn't be surprised if it reached 3,500 calories) So while I know I'll obviously gain from that, I know that's NOT the right way to do it at all. I don't even know if I'm looking to gain weight at all.

I'm just trying to get my calorie intake to a stable point, so I can stop the urge to binge in its tracks and hopefully get some energy back. What achieving this will do to my weight, I don't know and I'm trying not to think about it at the moment.

Basically, I'm asking about what I should do from here. I'm probably going to start lifting, but slowly. I'm vegan so I'm going to start taking soy protein powder because I think my binges have something to do with a lack of protein. I still have no idea how many calories to consume. If anyone has any idea of what I should start doing, I'd love to hear it.

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Have you entered your goal weight and seen how many cals MFP says you need to maintain that weight?
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you entered your goal weight and seen how many cals MFP says you need to maintain that weight?

It told me around 1,600 ... which has proven itself to be false haha.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. Always the first step toward healthy!

Get a referral to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. If he doesn't know right away, he can find one.

Until then, eat a lot. Eat some junk food and do not feel guilty. Add sugar and honey glazes to your veggies. Eat some pasta. Check out vegan discussion boards for ways to gain weight.

Your binges have to do with you not eating enough. Not eating enough ALWAYS leads to binging. Anyone who under eats a lot and says they never binge is full of crap. Your body needs nourishment. All bodies require nourishment. And you'll feel so much better when your body has been well-nourished for a while. You'll be happier after a few months of eating properly, too. :)

If you're vegan because that's where your conscience has brought you, stick with it. If you're vegan because it's a good diet, add some butter and cheese to your diet. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    And BMI is a good indication of whether or not you're underweight! Don't kid yourself. :)
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You are young, your metabolism is sky high, enjoy it . Might even be 2000 for you. Also, Protein protein protein, since your a vegan take some soy, it is a must. Your body will eat any muscle you do have for energy if you dont take in protein, in a few years you will look like what most people are , 'skinny fat'... preserve and build up your body while your in your prime.. so, eat lots of almonds, pistaschios, eggs, soy protein, milk/ amino acids, very necesssary........ also dont be afraid to eat, eat up actually and allow yourself to gain weight, once you are satisified, you will then be able to conjure your maintenance number... you will know that number based on eating more than your usual.... keep logs, day to day and keep track of your # of calories.... :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    nykismile wrote: »

It told me around 1,600 ... which has proven itself to be false haha.

What did you enter as your goal weight and what activity level did you set? That does not sound like a setting this site would suggest for someone of your activity level who wants to gain weight.
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, just quickly browsed your diary. Seriously not enough protein to sustain even a child. For someone 5'5" ish and 100lbs, you should be eating between 80-100g protein per day just to maintain your weight. Great sources for a vegan are Vega protein powder, hemp seeds, raw peas, tofu, lentils etc. You're probably binging because your bod is desperately seeking some real nutrients.

Beef up your protein and see what happens. Promise you'll feel way better.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    My protein amount is downright embarrassing. I was told I should aim for about 50 g of protein right now but half the time I don't even do that right.

I'm kind of stressing about the fact that I binged today. Will one day of going WAY over (3,500) seriously screw me up? I mean it's not like I'm trying to lose more, but I won't gain more than a lb from it, right?

I'm gonna try to shoot for 2,000 from here on out. More protein is also what I need to start doing ASAP.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat food!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1600-2100 calories a day and you are underweight by that much there are three possibilities ( somewhat over simplified ) you either eat a lot less than you think, you exercise a lot more and therefore burn more calories, or you have a metabolic problem like hyperthyroidism, which requires that you see a doctor asap.
    Good Luck !
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    nykismile wrote: »
    My protein amount is downright embarrassing. I was told I should aim for about 50 g of protein right now but half the time I don't even do that right.

I'm kind of stressing about the fact that I binged today. Will one day of going WAY over (3,500) seriously screw me up? I mean it's not like I'm trying to lose more, but I won't gain more than a lb from it, right?

I'm gonna try to shoot for 2,000 from here on out. More protein is also what I need to start doing ASAP.

You probably won't even gain a pound from it.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just echoing the same sentiment already stated, definitely eat more. If you're feeling weak, nauseous, etc., your body needs more food. And definitely add in more protein.

And don't dwell on the binge. It's water under the bridge now. Remember, one bad meal does not make you unhealthy (just as one good meal does not make you healthy). It's about the long-term. Healthy living is a marathon, not a sprint! And don't worry about the gain from it. Drink lots of water and it will help flush your system. Also, keep in mind that 1 lb of fat is about 3,500 calories. You aren't going to see a sudden massive change on the scale after one time of binging.

So eat more, add more protein, and keep on! You got this! And we're all here to give you the support you need!