Finding proper shoes

I need advice on finding appropriate shoes. I only wear a womens size 5, which is a problem. I want to start jogging. I have NO idea where to start looking for sneakers/running shoes. How do I know how much support I need or what fits and what doesn't? I am 50 and overweight and working with a personal trainer on building endurance, strength and losing weight. I had shin splints really bad in HS and don't want to get them again. Where is a good place to look?

Replies

• msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Most athletic stores sell shoes for workouts, and their stocks are going to be fairly similar. What you should focus on is the type of workout shoes. If you are going to be doing running and distance, get runners shoes - those will give you the most support for constantly "stomping the pavement." If you are going to be working with a person trainer, you would probably want cross trainers, which are great for a variety of workouts and exercises.

Lots of running is what usually causes shin splints, especialy if you have not done it in a long time. So keep that in mind with what workout and shoes are you going to be doing.
  • Don't be scared! Find a running store in your area, go in and tell them you need to get fitted. They will be more than glad to help. DH and I went in last fall well over 350 lbs each and the store was so helpful. Our store filmed our running gait and made recommendations. Brooks are pricey but super comfortable.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    http://www.delawarerunning.com/

And I have a picture next to the same JoePa statue :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I agree that getting fitted is probably your best option, though even that isn't guaranteed.

If you can't get fitted, go to a store that has sneakers on the floor (not where you have to ask someone to go in the back and get you a certain shoe in a certain size)... some place like a DSW or Dick's Sporting Goods. Try on every running shoe you can find in your size and pay attention to how wide or narrow the toe box is, how flat or high the arch is, how the shoe feels across the top of your foot, how your heel fits back into the shoe, and whether the shoe feels like it pushes your weight to the outside or inside when you walk.

After you try on 10+ different pairs you should start to get a feel for what fits well and what doesn't. In most cases, you want a shoe that is snug (not tight) through the midfoot, with just enough room in the toe box to spread/wiggle your toes. you want your weight distributed evenly side to side - it shouldn't feel like you are walking on the outside of your foot, nor like you are rolling your foot inward.

it's a lot of trial and error that can be done on your own, but a good running shop should help you narrow down your choices a bit more efficiently.

As for shin splints... Shin splints are most commonly the result of 2 things - poor fitting shoes and going to fast, too hard, too soon. Do your best to get the right sneakers (brand and color don't matter, fit does), and start off slow and easy.