Protein Bar Question

Options
So, I want to find a lower calorie protein bar? I've been eating Life Choice but 190-210 calories for a little bar are killing me -- they do have 20 g of Protein. Any body have any ideas?

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just cut a lot of my bars in half. I can cut a Quest Bar in have and it be 80-100 calories, and still be 10g of protein.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've done a lot of looking around and taste-testing and IMHO, that's about the best you can do. A lot of people go for ThinkThin or Quest bars because they're low sugar or more natural but even those are around 200 calories.

I personally like the Pure Protein bars - they even have a salted caramel flavor now which is pretty sweet but goes perfectly with an apple.

If you're just looking to get more protein, you could try some of the powders mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk (low cal). Or look for homemade recipes for low cal protein bars?
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really like Quest bars... I think they range from about 160-200 cals for 20 grams of protein. More importantly I think they are delicious! Especially heated up in the microwave. They also only have 1g of sugar, so that's another plus. And they help me safely indulge in sweet cravings. I never want any sweets after I have one for my afternoon snack. They work great for me and might be worth a try for you!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I eat The Simply Bar. My favourite flavour is the chocolate raspberry one so I only have the details on that one...

Calories: 160 (40g)
    Fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 140mg
    Potassium: 65mg
    Carb: 17g
    Fibre: 5 g
    Sugar 4g
    Protein: 16g
    Calcium: 8%
    Iron: 20%
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    190-210 calories for 20g of protein is not bad for a bar. Are you at all concerned with a protein-to-calorie ratio for the bar? If not, as stated above, just cut the bar in half.

Premiere protein has a premade shake that's 160 calories for 30g of protein. It's not a bar, but it can be a little easier to find lower calories in shakes than bars, in my experience.
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I just cut a lot of my bars in half. I can cut a Quest Bar in have and it be 80-100 calories, and still be 10g of protein.

I started splitting mines in half this week too!!!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer Quest Bars or Cliffs. Quests are about 180 Calories - 20g Protein, Cliffs 240 Cal and 10g Protein. And both taste good in my opinion.

What are your considerations; Calories or Protein? e? Cost? I think Detour has a few bars with 32g Protein, but I think they average like 300-350 calories. Honestly, I am not sure that I have seen a lot of "protein" bars out there with less than 180 calories, that actually had protein of 10g or more.
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Cost is a little consideration. I would like as few as carbs as possible with as much protein as possible. But that being said, if I find something I like and it keeps me filled up as a snack I will be willing to pay.